Advice Please no progress happening.

Options
Hi All, I am in my 4th week of hit strength training and on a calorie déficit.

Height 152 cm
Weight - 63kg

I lost 2 pound in the first 2 weeks and now no movement at all in the past 2 weeks.

Activity -

1 day - interval cardio approx fitbit burn - 350 calories for 45 mins
1 hour - 3 times a week hit / strength training - approx fitbit calorie burn 550
Walking at least 4km 7 days per week.

MFP set at sedentary - work from home

I eat on average 1550 calories per day (weekly average)

I try not to eat all my excess activity calories back afraid fitbit over counting calorie burn.

Net calories average out at approx 1000 per day.

I have increased my protein to approx 120grms per day, the rest is carbs approx 40% and fats 20%. I added protein powder to help me a get a better protein intake.

I measure and log everything...even vitamins.. I do log my alcohol too...approx 3 Glasses of vino per week...at the weekend.

What do you think I am doing wrong?? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Based on what you’ve described, it sounds like you’re doing nothing wrong, especially if your food log is tight.

I would bet you’re in for a “scale surprise” someday soon. Keep at it.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Exercise, and especially strength training, can cause water retention masking fat loss on the scale.
    I would suggest a bit more patience and monitoring your measurements as another way to check your progress.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Retrospectively you need to wait a decent amount of time to really evaluate whether your routine is working effectively. The many physiological effects and then trying to micromanage will just be frustrating, so give it some time before you do that. imo.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Yep, give it a couple more weeks and see what happens. Due to entirely normal and fine water weight fluctuations, the scale might not always reveal fat loss right away. If your exercise regimen is new and you're feeling sore, you might have some extra water retention from that but it will sort itself out. It's hard but requires patience. :)

If after a few weeks it's still stuck, that would be the time to adjust the calories in or out (or tighten up your logging as needed.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    You SHOULDN'T be doing HIT work at most 3 times a week because it's rough on the nervous system. Exercise is stress on the body and if you overstress it, the reaction could be high cortisol running in your system all the time.
    I do HIT but only 1 time a week. The rest of the time is just interval training. Sometimes LESS exercise is better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Give it more time. Sounds like you're making good progress. How many pounds do you need to lose?

Are you weighing multiple days and taking an average, or is that a weekly snapshot?
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,641 Member
    Options
    Your numbers look good however no change in the next week or 2 and you may need to revisit your counting and tracking, both intake and what you’re burning.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    The only thing that looks a little suspicious is the Fitbit calorie burn estimates unless they include BMR? So depending if you have your Fitbit linked up or if you add the the burn manually that COULD be a contributing factor? For your stats I would think 550/hr calories burned additional from exercise you’d need to be running continuously or cycling at a pretty reasonable intensity continuously, I certainly wouldn’t expect that from a strength session myself even with some Hiit cardio thrown in too.

But others may think differently, everyone’s mileage varies. Just going on my own experience at a similar ish weight.

Something to look at if you’re still stalled next week maybe?
  • Karen838
    Karen838 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    The only thing that looks a little suspicious is the Fitbit calorie burn estimates unless they include BMR? So depending if you have your Fitbit linked up or if you add the the burn manually that COULD be a contributing factor? For your stats I would think 550/hr calories burned additional from exercise you’d need to be running continuously or cycling at a pretty reasonable intensity continuously, I certainly wouldn’t expect that from a strength session myself even with some Hiit cardio thrown in too.

But others may think differently, everyone’s mileage varies. Just going on my own experience at a similar ish weight.

Something to look at if you’re still stalled next week maybe?

Thanks for the input. I agree with the over estimations for calories burned with fitbit. That's why I don't eat all my exercise calories. MFP is syncing with fitbit, I don't add manually.
  • Karen838
    Options
    Give it more time. Sounds like you're making good progress. How many pounds do you need to lose?

Are you weighing multiple days and taking an average, or is that a weekly snapshot?

Thanks for the response, I am trying to lose 12 pounds. I weigh daily and it does fluctuate but averaging around the 63kg. I suppose the good news is that I am not gaining. But would like to see a shift down. I will give it another 2 weeks. Much appreciated.
  • Karen838
    Options
    Yep, give it a couple more weeks and see what happens. Due to entirely normal and fine water weight fluctuations, the scale might not always reveal fat loss right away. If your exercise regimen is new and you're feeling sore, you might have some extra water retention from that but it will sort itself out. It's hard but requires patience. :)

If after a few weeks it's still stuck, that would be the time to adjust the calories in or out (or tighten up your logging as needed.)

Thank you, much appreciated
  • Karen838
    Options
    Your numbers look good however no change in the next week or 2 and you may need to revisit your counting and tracking, both intake and what you’re burning.

Thank you
  • Karen838
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You SHOULDN'T be doing HIT work at most 3 times a week because it's rough on the nervous system. Exercise is stress on the body and if you overstress it, the reaction could be high cortisol running in your system all the time.
    I do HIT but only 1 time a week. The rest of the time is just interval training. Sometimes LESS exercise is better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thank you, I will re work my exercising 🤞
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    With just 12 pounds to lose, not sure if you include the initial 2 pounds lost in there or not, you shouldn't expect to lose much faster than you already are.

Take measurements too, waist, etc. And pics. You may see progress happening there.
  • ericatoday1
    ericatoday1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you’re exercising, I definitely recommend measuring yourself rather than weighing yourself because you can retain more water weight and or beginning muscle, which can make the scale not want to move in your favor and remember it’s not all about the number on the scale it’s about how you feel