Do boobs affect body fat %

Options
2»

Replies

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    As you probably know, body fat over 23% is considered overweight. If you body fat measurements were done using calipers, then your boobs weren't factored in. If your trainer told you to bring it down, I'd trust that he or she knows what they're talking about. If you were lean except for your boobs, he or she would see that.

This is not true. As you know.

OP - you should always ask your trainer to explain anything like this they are telling you. 1. I hate the wording your trainer used "You'll want to get that down" -- how do they know what you want. You said that you think you look fine. That's pretty crappy IMO. 2. Your body fat% is fine.

On the subject of body fat% and breasts - you have both breast tissue and fat in your breasts and if you lose body fat, some of it will inevitably be from your breasts (this is all individual to eat woman though)....I lost 2 cup sizes by losing ~35lbs and my breasts are a significantly different shape now. Did your trainer talk with you about that? Or is it a man...and he has no clue. Or doesn't care..... etc.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    People need to get away from placing so much emphasis on BF%. Everyone holds fat differently. Look in the mirror, If you feel you need to lose fat then lose fat. If you're at a % that is considered excessive and visually you're happy with the way you look then you're fine.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,780 Member
    Options
    Everyone holds fat differently.

I remember getting measured by my gym some years back. They said my legs were 12% BF, while my gut was 25+%.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Everyone holds fat differently.

I remember getting measured by my gym some years back. They said my legs were 12% BF, while my gut was 25+%.
    ha! So you can tell people you’re 12% and not be lying

• pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Edited: wow old post revived...

Anecdotal... When I was very fit and lean, from racing and such. I was 105 pounds at 5'1 with 32DDD. My boobs didn't go go away relative to my body size (band changed, but cup size remained). Anyway, the fancy machines had me at 26-28% BF, but when I was measured with calipers I was at 16-18% BF. Results will vary, but yes for me my boobs threw off the electronic BF% measurements. If you are really concerned about BF% (I was curious, because the numbers didn't make sense) find a good physical therapist or athletic trainer to measure you with calipers.

Good luck!
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Whether it is boobs or something else, the healthy body fat range for women is higher than men. Depending on your age, that is in the healthy range. I wouldn't worry about it too much.