Costume Changers Forum (Week 1)

Options
Hey all! Received a few suggestions to post a forum topic each week - I will post a new forum each Sunday (so this one will be for a shorter time than the others). Feel free to ask questions here, let each other know of your accomplishments, ask for advice, support each other, etc! This forum can be used however you want (as long as you're nice! :smile:) - type away!

Replies

• jepo27
    jepo27 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ooo good idea. I've been trying out my pedometer at work and have found that even on quieter days i walk about 2 miles while at work! Do they count towards my total?
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump
  • elana1987
    elana1987 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ooo good idea. I've been trying out my pedometer at work and have found that even on quieter days i walk about 2 miles while at work! Do they count towards my total?

They sure do! :)
  • Carrie704
    Options
    Elana rocks!!

I have been in gear since this started and feel great! I hope everyone else feels as great as I do!
  • hcn74
    hcn74 Posts: 214
    Options
    I keep forgetting to wear my pedometer. Found this website that allegedly converts activity to steps. Might help some other folks, too:

http://walking.about.com/od/measure/a/stepequivalents.htm
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I have been doing great up until yesterday. Got a little out of control with the snacking! Usually I would just call it a done week and go crazy, but I know you all are watching out for me. So I am back at it this morning and on my way to the gym. Yay me!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Have had a great week so far. Exercised everyday and tracked calories religiously.
  • a_smaller_steph
    Options
    I have had a good week exercise wise and not as good food wise. I'm turning it around however and hope to show a loss monday! I've walked 6.5 miles and I went to a zumba class, a strength class and a kickboxing ...Today will be another walk day as I am pretty sore. I need to focus and keep my calories lower and drink lots of water for the next 3 days til WI. This is my first challenge and I find it extremely motivating!
  • stinastudios
    stinastudios Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm doing fairly well, getting in more miles than I thought I would be. Next week the gym I go to while on my lunch break every day will be closed, so I'll have to figure out a different way to get my miles (Yes I know I can go outside, but it's been really hot and sunny, and I burn easily). Right now my gym buddies and I are planning to use our building's parking garage, and the stairwells (I work in a 28 story building, score!), so hopefully things won't be too out of whack.
  • LittleFootLT11
    Options
    Elana rocks!

This challenge is keeping me accountable as I head into a hectic week of moving to a new state! I've been so stressed with the job search as well as packing and planning that normally I'd be eating my weight in cookies and beer. But with the challenge I just hop on the treadmill, load up an episode of my favorite show and walk it all away.

Thanks everyone, we'll be changing costumes soon enough!

BTW, some people answered already, but what are your costumes going to be this year?
  • judy20in2011
    judy20in2011 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've done well food wise but not so great exercise wise! Started the week out sick, then the rain hit, and the KABILLION after work/school stuff this week and I am heading for my annual girls weekend today! We plan on hiking so I'll get some in but I am going to try to balance the treats!! I like that I feel more comfortable so that gives me huge incentive to not stray to much.
  • jvinmill
    jvinmill Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Elana you are awesome, thank you so much for doing this!

I've been tracking my miles and calories on the document you created for us. I know it's intended that we not log anything until Monday but I wanted to keep track of it somehow. I've been on my elliptical every evening this week, and I don't know some people do alot of miles at one time! I'm up to 1.25 miles but I'm pooped by the time I'm done!

I have a question though. What are the differences between running on a treadmill/elliptical and actual running, outside? I'd love to eventually be a runner but I'm intimidated by it, and want to ease my way into it. Are there any reasons you should do one vs another?

Have a great Friday everyone!
  • mooselady2004
    mooselady2004 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You should try the Couch 2 5k program. I think you can get the music downloads from www.coolrunnings.com and it outlines the program. Breaks you into running really slow.
  • ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    thomalu, I find it physically much easier to run on the elliptical, but mentally, I like running outside. I highly recommend the couch to 5k program. I started in February and wasn't able to run for a few minutes outside without feeling like I was going to die. By the end of it, I could run 3 miles in under 40 minutes with hills involved! Even off of the program (It's 9 weeks), I still get outside for 30-40 minutes a couple of times a week and love it.

I've been doing great. Because of the challenge, I finally took a spin class. They've always intimidated me but I decided to bite the bullet and try it. 2 morning workouts in this week for a total of 45 miles just from those 2 classes. :) And a great workout. My weight has fluctuated upwards a little because of the workouts, but looks to be going back down so wahoo!
  • deepavignesh
    deepavignesh Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i love this challenge too.. i ve kept my calories in check and have excercised regularly. i even ran 15 miles this week.. feels awesome!!!
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options

I have a question though. What are the differences between running on a treadmill/elliptical and actual running, outside? I'd love to eventually be a runner but I'm intimidated by it, and want to ease my way into it. Are there any reasons you should do one vs another?

Have a great Friday everyone!

it's harder to run outside then on a machine, outside you have to physicaly move yourself making it harder
    on a machine your not actualy moving so your bodys not working as hard because your staying in place
  • 2011_4mygirls
    2011_4mygirls Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have had a pretty good week up til today. Today, stress has gotten the best of me. I did not get my walk in this morning and I knew that I was not going to have a chance all day. Instead of staying focused, I cheated with a taco meal from taco tico and cinnamon sugar crustos - UGH!

This day is NOT over and I am going to try to get atleast a 20 minute walk in but not sure when or how. We are going to a church function tonight that only involves desserts? Maybe that is what stressed me out in the beginning?!?!?!?!?!??!?

However, Monday through yesterday I walked a total of 14.5 miles and biked 10 (and kept my eating in line as well) I am trying to not beat myself up over my lunch today - but it is so hard because I am so MAD at myself!!!!
  • sarabhorton
    sarabhorton Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for the challenge, Elana! it's really working for me! i had my bunco group here this week, but resisted the carbs i served them because i didn't want to blow the challenge. i've also pushed myself harder on walking/bike because of it. very motivating!

i'm impressed with all of the moving everyone else has been doing, too! WTG everybody!

definitely easier to walk/run on the treadmill because you are running on a flat surface instead of balancing on different types of terrain. that said ... i think there are a lot of advantages to the treadmill. fewer mechanisms for injury, for one. since it's still in the upper 90's here, weather is another. i find i can work out a lot longer inside than out :)
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited about the accountability for this challenge! I've been really great about tracking my calories, AND I've been making better choices. I'm really quite proud of myself. I have been weighing myself every day to keep me accountable...it tends to keep me from falling off the wagon! :)

PS: How do you get the costume changers challenge logo in your signature??