Please help!

Options
Hello. I am a 34 year old female. MFP has me at 1290 calories and I am so hungry all the time. I am 241 pounds with a goal weight of 180. Does anyone have any insight on how many calories I should be eating. 1290 just doesn’t seem like enough. Any advice? Thank you!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    You are right at the point where 2 pounds per week is too much. Try dropping it down to 1.5, or even 1 to start.

Do you exercise, and what percent of your exercise calories do you eat back? I shoot for 500 exercise calories per day and eat most of them, because base calories just aren't enough for me.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Every time I set my goals to 2 lbs per week MFP sets a super low calorie goal. I have changed mine to only 1/2 lb per week. If I eat less than "allowed" WONDERFUL. If I come close to that amount, at least I shouldn't be actively gaining weight. I stay below almost every day that way and, while not fast, it's realistic loss that I should be able to maintain in the future.

If you choose to leave it at a higher loss per week, I agree that 1.5 or 1 lb is better than setting it at 2 lbs.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    You should also look at what you are eating and see if the problem might be that you are eating foods that are low in fiber and high in sugar and easily accessible carbs that your body burns too quickly. There are different types of carbs and also some people feel more full when eating protein and a bit of fat in combination with carbs. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water as well. Dehydration/thirst is often mistaken for hunger. The benefit of recording everything you ezt is that you have the data to work with and experiment with. If the current way you are eating isnt satisfying change it not just by addng on extra calories, but thinking about when and what kind of calories.
  • audreysoverhere
    audreysoverhere Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Certain foods are low calorie while being filling. Whole grains like oatmeal, brown rice; veggies with a lot of fibre like broccoli or green beans; fruit like apples and pears, etc. Warm drinks also tend to keep hunger at bay, more so than cold water. Herbal teas for example, unsweetened mint tea is a nice pick me up.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Try increasing protein, and when I say that I mean protein from animal sources and reduce ultra and processed foods and removing refined grains and replace with whole grains, and to be clear, whole grain bread doesn't qualify. This should help with satiety and cravings, or at least it did for me on my journey and does for many people. Cheers.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Try increasing protein, and when I say that I mean protein from animal sources and reduce ultra and processed foods and removing refined grains and replace with whole grains, and to be clear, whole grain bread doesn't qualify. This should help with satiety and cravings, or at least it did for me on my journey and does for many people. Cheers.

Just curious... why wouldn't whole grain bread qualify? I can't eat bread anyway (celiac) but I'm just curious.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

Just curious... why wouldn't whole grain bread qualify? I can't eat bread anyway (celiac) but I'm just curious.

There are some decent ones for sure but for most, it's just a marketing term to sell more bread and most have a similar effect on our blood sugar as all purpose. Of course portion control is key and if it doesn't trigger any hunger signals then for sure have at it. Cheers.