binge eating what works??????

Options
What works for you to not binge eat and still be healthy????

Im considering hypnotherapy with Adam Cox (see spotify free sessions) or acupuncture but wondering if either is worth the cost or if something else might help????

Been through the official help and intuitive eating style in the past im concenered about trying that again as suffer a lot from inflammation, health problems and exhaustion so trying to "eat normal" feels awful

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I agree with sollyn, and I'd also add that eating lots of processed carbohydrates increases my inflammation and drowsiness and also leads to binges. I have to be careful to stay away from sweets and large quantities of other wheat-based carbs. They just trigger all the undesirable results I mentioned.

The more you can move yourself toward sufficient amounts of lean protein, healthy fats and whole fruits and vegetables, the better.

The other thing that helps me with both hunger and inflammation is exercise.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some form of elimination diet.
  • hugsareawesome
    hugsareawesome Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Brilliant I totally agree on the habit and eating routine, I felt so much freerer than I have my whole life when I had that nailed, with high protein, vegetables, low on fruits as I binge on fruits and fats too.

Thank you this is encouraging me to have another go but do so on maintenance calories rather than trying to lose weight at the moment

Do you find that there is a way that works for you guys?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,925 Member
    Options
    There exist eating and deficit related triggers to either "triggered", "rebound", and "binge-like" overeating" (my terms as I type). There are physical reasons--I think lack of sleep and trying to perk up (as I type :wink: ) are fairly common ones that are brought up. And there are psychological reasons too that can be addressed by therapy and even pharmacology with various levels of effectiveness.

And, this should have probably even come up first, there is "overeating' and "binge like" behavior as I would like to call it; but there also exists full on binging disorder. And shades in-between for all that.

Eating at maintenance reduces some of the above but not all.

If you're dealing with binging disorder, no, it probably won't be enough. If you're dealing with overeating triggered by over-aggressive deficits it could well be sufficient to control your results.

And anywhere in between.

Getting help when needed is a good option to consider!
  • sarahneverquits
    sarahneverquits Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me: Eat enough food overall. Eat regularly - no fasting for this old girl. Eat enough protein. Eat more fruits and veg. Stay hydrated. Sleep more, SLEEP MORE - this is huge. Reduce stress. Use mindfulness tools when the desire strikes. Manage triggers (example: I often crave a sweet food after a spicy meal, so I need to have a healthier sweet treat available OR another distraction such as gum or to get up and do something else).

I needed more help than this and sought medical care for it. But I still have to do those things.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    I can't see a big downside to trying free hypnotherapy (or affirmations, focused meditation - any of those mindset-related techniques).

I used hypnotherapy (customized, from a licensed psychologist trained in hypnotherapy) for an unusual type of insomnia. It wasn't a magical cure, but it was a big help. I was (and still am) a skeptic about hypnosis, but IMO it's unlikely to be harmful, from a respected source.

Others here have recommended the book The Beck Diet Solution for self-help type cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) tools to help with disordered eating or relationship with food. Real-life therapy is a great option, too, if you can afford it. There shouldn't be any more stigma to consulting a pro about thought pattern concerns than there is about consulting a registered dietitian for nutritional concerns.
  • Rockymountainflyer
    Rockymountainflyer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Don't have your binge foods readily available. Budget your calories to have something you like once a week. Buy things like fresh berries and smoked salmon as a sweet or salty treat instead. I will down Jiff peanut butter, but hate Skippy so I buy Skippy for my husband because he doesn't care. Same with cashews so I buy almonds.