How to record weights

Options
When doing a chest press or incline dumbbell press do you put the total weight or just the weight on one side?
So if I have 2x 15kg dumbbells is that recorded as 15kg or 30kg?

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Single. It's also easier to record progression that way.

https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/dumbbell-bench-press
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options

Im doing inclines with 15’s

So you record single DB’s

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter as long as you are consistent with your entry for the one you choose. I personally program the weight of one dumbbell for my lifters so it's less math and confusion for my lifters.
  • rachelpetra89
    rachelpetra89 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That would be recorded as 15kg. You don't add them.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,020 Member
    Options
    Some exercises involve using a single dumbbell, such as one-arm chest press or a dumbbell squat. Rather than trying to remember which exercise you record the one, and which ones you record double, just record one every time. Consistency makes for one less item to try to remember.

Personally, if I did curls with a pair of 15kg one workout, and recorded it as 30kg, stupid me is likely to grab 30kg dumbbells the next workout and be surprised by how heavy they seem, lol.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I record dumbbells thusly: weight X single/double dumbbell X reps e.g.:

15kg x 2 x 10

A single dumbbell exercise (goblet squat, halo, etc.) is recorded: 15kg x 1 x 10

Barbell lifts are simply weight X reps
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,020 Member
    Options
    Realize that type of record keeping may work for personal notes, but if you're reading workouts online you need to realize the numbers will be sets and reps, not hands and reps.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Realize that type of record keeping may work for personal notes, but if you're reading workouts online you need to realize the numbers will be sets and reps, not hands and reps.

Good point - I should have noted that.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    Dumbells=1 side so It would read for 3 sets and 10 reps with 15lb db's, 3x10x15 in your log