• staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Running shoes?

200 - 250 miles or 3 - 4 months.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Good question. I think it would depend on what you are doing in them and on what surface. I've recycled my old running shoes to do Zumba because the tread is mostly gone and it make it easy to swivel. I'm green and fit. :laugh:
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    4-5 months is about average for me, so somemewhere between 300 and 450 miles.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    once I start feeling achy in them...usually around 250 miles :)
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options

Haha! This is actually the way I monitor it too. I'm almost always accurate. Listen to the ol' body!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    When you buy a good pair of running shoes, the salesperson should give you an idea how many miles they are good for.
    Different shoes will last and wear better than others.
    Even when they are "done", likely you can replace the insoles and keep on trucking!
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Mine right now have 250 miles on them. They are going to be switched out for a new pair since I'm taking them on a long trip to use for walking/hiking (they are cross trainers). So when I get home I'll news a new pair. Normally it's every 3-4 months.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I track my shoe mileage on my running log (awesome free log from runningahead.com)

Once I get over 400-425 miles, my shoes are pretty much toast . So that's 7-8 weeks of running per pair (but I run out of two pairs of shoes at a time).
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Running shoes?

200 - 250 miles or 3 - 4 months.

Same here. Once I get close to 250 miles, my knees or my feet start "talking" to me.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The general rule is that they are good for about 300 miles, so I've read.....
  • atsteele
    Options

I feel better now. I thought that I was the only one who changes their shoes after 200 - 250. My running buddies get much more mileage out of their shoes. I wish I could do that!! It would be cheaper!!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    When you buy a good pair of running shoes, the salesperson should give you an idea how many miles they are good for.
    Different shoes will last and wear better than others.
    Even when they are "done", likely you can replace the insoles and keep on trucking!

Not sure I agree with you on any of this.

The stride and weight of each runner are part of the equation. I weigh ~ 175 and heel strike and over-pronate. Somebody who is 30 lbs lighter with a better stride might get 500+ miles from my shoes.

Once my shoes are worn out, all the insoles in the world won't help resurrect them.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I replace mine about every 4 mos / 400 miles.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options

I feel better now. I thought that I was the only one who changes their shoes after 200 - 250. My running buddies get much more mileage out of their shoes. I wish I could do that!! It would be cheaper!!

Nope! Switched my last pair of Saucony's around with my new pair of Saucony's right about 260, and could totally tell the difference in how I felt during AND after the run! It is sad that I can't wear shoes longer, but I'd rather not get injured either. Maybe that's why I don't get shin splints or any other 'running' injury...I regularly change out my shoes :)
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have 350+ miles on mine and I am hoping to get another 100 out of them.
  • atsteele
    Options

Nope! Switched my last pair of Saucony's around with my new pair of Saucony's right about 260, and could totally tell the difference in how I felt during AND after the run! It is sad that I can't wear shoes longer, but I'd rather not get injured either. Maybe that's why I don't get shin splints or any other 'running' injury...I regularly change out my shoes :)

Better to spend the money than to be out of commission due to injury!!
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Your body should tell you.
    My daughter goes 400 I can only go 250....she is lighter than I am, and I have more aches and pains.

My shoes start telling my right achilles tendon right about 250 miles.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Usually my feet/legs KNOW when my shoes need to be replaced. I've lost track of mileage I put on each pair and now just go with how they feel.
    If I had to guess I would say 300 miles or every 3-4 months.
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My first pair got really uncomfortable ~350-400. I started at 220lbs and was down at ~185. I got a new pair of asic 2150s and i just purchased another pair yesterday (2160s). i got about 450-500m on the 2150s and I am currently 165ish. I will wind up with another 50-75 or so due to rotating over the next month. They were not bothering me but i tried on a new pair last week and realized it was near...I also use Fleet Feet inserts (orange). your natural wear pattern will have an affect as well as terrain.
  • KEShikes
    Options
    I track my shoe mileage on my running log (awesome free log from runningahead.com)

Once I get over 400-425 miles, my shoes are pretty much toast . So that's 7-8 weeks of running per pair (but I run out of two pairs of shoes at a time).

I do this, too on a different site, also free micoach.com
    Rule of thumb is 300 miles, but I agree that shoes are different.