Bariatric meal plan

Options
MFP when can we get a meal plan tailored to bariatric patients? Sometimes I find myself struggling to compute quarter portions of something.

It can also be very triggering at the end of the day when I get that message that says "you're not eating enough..."

Replies

• Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no advice. But I find the messages on completing the food diary annoying and stressful so I complete mine everyday but don't click the complete button
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Yeah, I haven't clicked "Complete this entry" in years...it is just a gimmicky little feature that really does nothing important.

You can set your own daily calories and macros to whatever your medical team has recommended here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my-goals

No one here gets "meal plans." Not sure what is meant by that. To compute a quarter portion, just enter 0.25 (25%) in the portion box - or use a food scale and weigh each item and enter it by gram.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I haven't clicked "Complete this entry" in years...it is just a gimmicky little feature that really does nothing important.

You can set your own daily calories and macros to whatever your medical team has recommended here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my-goals

No one here gets "meal plans." Not sure what is meant by that. To compute a quarter portion, just enter 0.25 (25%) in the portion box - or use a food scale and weigh each item and enter it by gram.

FWIW and FYI to both you and OP: Premium has "Meal Plans" in the phone/tablet app. Right now, the only ones I see are "High Protein" and "Low Carb". I'm not willing to 'start' one as one must to see full detail. They don't look especially magical on the surface, but it's obvious that there's much more detail that one can't see without starting the plan, so maybe that's where the juicy part is?

OP, I don't think you're losing out hugely because MFP doesn't have a bariatric plan. Riverside's right (as she usually is): You can customize your goals to whatever your doctor's told you, and just skip closing your diary if you don't want to see the unpleasant-to-you message. It doesn't hurt anything else, it just doesn't post the status message on your timeline. You can type in an end of day update on your timeline instead, if that's important to you.

If your post surgical support includes access to a registered dietitian (RD), ask that person for help with setting up a plan. If it doesn't, consider asking your doctor for a referral to an RD. I'm told some pharmacies or grocery stores have offered lower-cost RD consultations, too, but I'm sure that varies based on location.

• StaciInGa
    StaciInGa Posts: 65 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Bariatric patients should be under close doctor supervision. But as others have said, there are no MFP 'meal plans' (in the free version at least). If the paid version is not appropriate to your scenario, you can cancel your subscription.

Just log what you consume, in the quantities you consume.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    StaciInGa wrote: »
    Just log what you consume, in the quantities you consume.
    and without clicking on "complete" if you don't want to keep seeing messages that are not relevant to you.

But also DO talk with the team you hired to do your surgery and DO take advantage of all the nutritional education and/or advice and/or counselling they are HOPEFULLY offering to you as part of your package (or even add-on: I'm not sure how they do bariatric packages but counselling and support **should** figure somewhere in there and I would consider them to be pretty *kitten* important)

Your food choices and quantities still matter, not just today while you're losing weight but for tomorrow too.

The changes you make, the habits you develop, the work you will be doing with yourself and on yourself --just like every other person attempting to manage their weight-- are what will enable you to compete the loss phase and maintain successfully instead of ending up as a regain statistic.