Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Added sugar

MFP needs to add an "added sugar" category instead of just total sugar. I see this has been suggested many times before.
17 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• pgreen912
    pgreen912 Posts: 3 Member
    Agree! In the meantime, I've decided to keep a separate record of my daily intake of natural sugar vs added sugar...at the very least, it may help me feel better about going over the 25 grams of sugar currently recommended for women.
  • Fablady57
    Fablady57 Posts: 3 Member
    Absolutely! A better way to gauge sugar intake!
  • kcasey8123
    kcasey8123 Posts: 1 Member
    I started working with a nutrionist and she gave me a goal for added sugars and MFP does not track which is frustrating. When are you going to add this to the app. You noted last year that it is coming but nothing yet? I try to calculate manually but it is time consuming. Does anyone know of another app that does this?
  • tiamoorenc5
    tiamoorenc5 Posts: 1 Member
    I was just looking for a way to submit an enhancement request to developers. I need to track Added Sugar and Saturated Fat. Sugar and Fat are fine to track, but my nutritionist wants me to distinguish at a lower level. Natural Sugar from Fruit and Fat from Plant Based sources can definitely skew the results. Please add a way to track at a more micro level.
    I have Premium but am considering moving to another platform if I find one that meets my reporting needs.
  • Jean
    Jean Posts: 719 MFP Staff
    Thank you for these suggestions and feedback! To provide additional suggestions (or any more details), please send them to our team via email at support@myfitnesspal.com. Thanks again!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,093 Member
    I was just looking for a way to submit an enhancement request to developers. I need to track Added Sugar and Saturated Fat. Sugar and Fat are fine to track, but my nutritionist wants me to distinguish at a lower level. Natural Sugar from Fruit and Fat from Plant Based sources can definitely skew the results. Please add a way to track at a more micro level.
    I have Premium but am considering moving to another platform if I find one that meets my reporting needs.

You can already track saturated fat.
    You can change your 5 tracked nutrients here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary-settings
  • Aagata125
    Aagata125 Posts: 1 Member
    Yes! I would like this feature too.
  • nndyzgtzcn
    nndyzgtzcn Posts: 1 Member
    Please add this!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,538 Member
    How are the database entries going to be created?

The ones that indicate how much of the sugar is naturally occurring and how much is added?

Is this information even available?
  • hguilfoy
    hguilfoy Posts: 1 Member
    The American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology attribute Added (not naturally occurring) Sugars as one of the 7 traditional risk factors linked to heart disease.

In May 2016 the USDA required labeling of added sugar content on all packaged foods and beverages. https://www.cardiosmart.org/news/2019/5/new-sugar-labels-to-prevent-1-million-cases-of-heart-disease-and-diabetes

As you can see tracking ADDED SUGARS is as important as tracking all sugars. Currently there is not even a way to update a database entry with ADDED SUGAR.

With this in mind, when can we expect to be able to track this information in MFP?
  • erinpsimpson
    erinpsimpson Posts: 1 Member
    Agreed! I’m on my second day using the app, and it’s alarming to see it go over the sugar recommendation because I make smoothies with fresh fruit and had half a sweet potato each day. know I’m eating very little added sugar (2 tsp a day in coffee) and it would be nice if the app reflected that.
  • mlake521
    mlake521 Posts: 1 Member
    I have been using the app for about a year and thought with all of the requests that this would have been added by now! It’s very frustrating to have to go through and recalculate my added sugar separately each day!
  • johnraposo7
    johnraposo7 Posts: 1 Member
    This is a huge and obvious miss. Beyond that, it seems like something that could be remedied pretty easily. Does anyone from MFP actually monitor this community? I see posts from years ago making the same request.