Doing additional workouts with the 30DS

Options
I am on day 4 of the 30 Day Shred. For someone who only worked out 1 time a week before, I'm pretty proud of myself. The first two days were absolutely killer, but last night I found myself not as sore and wanting to workout more. Tonight I am considering going to the gym to do the weird elliptical-type machine (possibly EMT???) after I do the 30DS. My husband told to be careful and not "overdo it". He is doing the 30DS with me and also does Physical Training with his squadron twice a week (he's military). I, however, am way more unfit, but actually stronger in the legs than he is (he has chicken legs lol). Anyway, if I only did 20-30 minutes at the gym in addition to the 30DS would that be okay? I really don't want to pull a muscle or overwork my body or something. After I lose around 20 lbs, I am planning on starting some extra weight lifting in order to not be "skinny-fat" when I reach my goal.

Replies

• shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I think if you listen to your body and slowly intergrate extra cardio into your routine, you should be fine.
    Try it and see how you feel and take it from there!!!
    Good Luck :)

I am on Day3, loving it!!
  • nicole_marieee
    Options
    I actually have both of jillian's 30 day dvds and i have always done the dvd and then done some other sort of cardio for 40-60 minutes. Granted I'm in above average shape so I can handle the high impact but I think you would deifnitely be safe doing some light cardio after! :)
  • brooklyn_87
    brooklyn_87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Definitely go for it! Just listen to your body. I've done 30DS and I always added additional workouts to it just to get a little something extra. Somedays if I was extra sore or tired I'd just do 30DS so it just depends on how you feel. Just take it slow to start and gradually work up the intensity of your "extra" workout as you get stronger and more used to longer/more intense workouts. Good luck!!
  • marcibar
    Options
    As long as you are listening to your body and not pushing through pain I think you should be fine! Make sure to stretch and drink lots of water! Remember you don't always have to be sore to have gotten a good workout!
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I just completed the 30 day shred last Sunday and am not on to Ripped. I do it first thing in the morning before work. In the evenings I do something different every night, however do take some nights off if my body doesn't feel it can do 100%. This week I did Ripped every morning except Tuesday as I slept in and for pay back did 1hr 25 min of trail walking including 25min of that doing steep hills. Some of the things I did last week in the evenings were, kick boxing, trail walking, step class, upper body weights and brisk walking. That said, my rule of thumb is to ALWAYS LISTEN to YOUR body, not the little devil on the shoulder but your own body. It will let you know if its too much. Good luck and enjoy!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I usually do 4 days on and one day off. (off from everything) My 30d shread has been in addition to the 2 hours i spend at the gym :) It is important to listen to you body and REST