Strength Training

Options
Hey everyone, my name is Stacey, I am 27 and currently weigh in at 238lbs. I have been trying to get back into the swing of things, I joined a gym, and I have been trying tog et as much information as I can.

For now, I want to just increase my cardio and go from 10 minutes of walking to an hour, as well as start to lift weights, like dumbbells and the barbell. I have joint issues in my knees, so I try to avoid lunges, but any other exercise I have no issue with! I also want to avoid doing HIIT workouts as I have read those could have significant impact on your joints and muscles as you get older.

What should each day look like? Can I do 4 days during the week, with 2 days being focused on the upper body, and the other 2 days being focused on the lower body, and then some walking for a warm up, and a full workout dedicated to just walking on the 5th day? I don't mind core workouts, but I know you cannot pinpoint spots to lose weight, so should I do total body on day 5?

Any help would be great!

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Your workout plan sounds good. I'd suggest hold off on plans for a 5th day full workout right now. See how you get on after doing four workouts. Give your body time to recover. Consistency is key, your plan should be sustainable.

If you're brand new to this, ease into it at first with maybe just a couple of workouts to start with.

Re lunges, do you mean forward lunges? Can you do reverse lunges? They're easier on the knees.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,472 Member
    Options
    You can also get most of the benefits of a lunge by doing Bulgarian Split Squats, where you setup your legs as for a lunge (as in ahead and behind), possibly with the rear leg elevated slightly, such as on a step or a bench. Lower your body straight down, back up, repeat, and you get the same muscle activation as with lunges, but without moving the feet except before/after your set. In my experience my knees object less.

Agreed on holding off a 5th day just yet, especially if you're just getting started. I've done 5, even 6, lifting days per week, and honestly I get better results when I stick to 4. Two upper/two lower as you propose is great. I also enjoy doing one legs, one push, one pull, and one full body per week, same principle of getting 4 lifting days with each body part hit twice. If you want to hit the gym more than 4 times, use the other days for cardio-only days.

Core muscles are different from your other muscle groups in that you can work your core every day if you prefer, so long as it's bodyweight work and not added resistance. You can dedicate one day per week for just core and hammer it from a variety of angles once per week. Personally I split my core work up to a little each lifting day, done at the end of the day so my core isn't tired when trying to stabilize other lifts, and each day I'll try to focus on a different aspect of the core: front abs, side abs, twisting abs, just 3 sets and done in under 5 minutes per session.
  • dvdiamond11
    dvdiamond11 Posts: 24 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    If you can I would hire a trainer at the gym for a session or two to set you up with a workout. Most importantly they can show you proper form so you do not injure yourself. Just be very specific of what you what to achieve and what you want to avoid. It will be money well spent.
    You can do both cardio and strength in the same day.
  • unknownandinsane
    unknownandinsane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the lunges too. Every time I try to add them I hurt myself. I just started strength training about 2 months ago so i am definitely no expert lol so take my routine with a grain of salt. I try to do this schedule S- cardio and some abs, M- rest, T -light cardo + upperbody, W- light cardio + legs, T- light cardio + back/abs, F- rest, S- light cardio + whole body. Don't know if this helps for ideas, but good luck with a new routine!
  • recover808
    recover808 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    An upper body lower body split is great, I’m currently using one and like it so far. IMHO if walking farther is your main goal (over say strength training/weight loss) walk as much as you can. Use the weight training as a way to get back in the groove of lifting so if your goals change down the road you dont have to start from scratch. Just remember that there is no rush so slowly add time/distance/speed to your walk as you can. Also remember that no exercises are “necessary” so if the lunges give you issues then avoid them. Squats, split squats (as others recommended) ect will work absolutely fine.
    Good luck. Aloha
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    If you can I would hire a trainer at the gym for a session or two to set you up with a workout. Most importantly they can show you proper form so you do not injure yourself. Just be very specific of what you what to achieve and what you want to avoid. It will be money well spent.
    You can do both cardio and strength in the same day.

Another vote for a trainer. Every gym I've ever joined gave me 1-3 sessions with a trainer with the new membership. Many gyms also had small group classes for free or very cheap. Paying full price is also a great investment.
  • bigmammalovestrash
    bigmammalovestrash Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Stacy,
    I have always enjoyed a good session on the treadmill. It is the place in the gym I am most comfortable in. I bring my own or use the gyms 3lb hand weights while on the treadmill. It really helps keep your heart rate in a fat burning zone without killing your knees. Especially if your not comfortable with a jog yet. The slight soreness in your arms lets you know your on the right track.
    Good luck on your journey. Let us know what tips and tricks you find useful.