Need meal plan suggestions

Options
LKHailey
LKHailey Posts: 7 Member
edited November 2022 in Food and Nutrition
My healthcare provider (functional medicine nurse practitioner) has asked me to log all my foods in MFP for three months, with the goals and limitations of no wheat, no dairy, low carb (50 g or less), low fat (60 - 75 g), high fiber (25 g or more), and high protein (100 g), keeping calories at or below my BMR - 1350.

I am on Mounjaro for blood sugar control, and have little to no appetite, so 100 grams of protein is a chore. I cannot figure out how to get all the fiber without going over on carbs - I eat tons of veggies already, but I am nowhere close to the fiber goal. I cannot tolerate psyllium, so fiber supplements are right out.

This is very frustrating, and tbh, triggering anxiety and obsessiveness with food that I thought I had overcome. I contacted my NP and she suggested a nutritionist, but that's super expensive, and I can't swing that right now.

Is there anyplace I can just enter my requirements/goals, and have it generate meal plans or suggestions?

Replies

• Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    That would be very challenging without a very specific meal plan! Is the carb goal meant to be AFTER you subtract fiber grams? I struggle to get enough fiber AND a lot of protein with a lower calorie goal.

It sounds like your diet needs to be made up of lean meat, vegetables, and beans. A couple of ideas for you:

-The Whole 30 recipes would be a good resource; that’s basically what that plan is.
    -Eatingwell.com is my favorite recipe resource because you can get very specific with keywords. I’m really enjoying some of the chia pudding recipes (made with unsweetened almond milk).
    -Do you remember that Fat Flush diet soup that was all the buzz once? The soup is pretty good. It has ground turkey and a lot of vegetables. The old Weight Watchers cabbage soup is also a good one to keep in the fridge. Google will lead you to either recipe.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,892 Member
    Options
    What is the purpose of this diet?

Low carb diets generally are directed at diabetics and if that's the case, then getting some arbitrary number for fiber is not something to be worrying about especially for someone that has anxiety with food like you do. Promoting fiber and all its hype comes mostly from improved health markers when whole foods (fiber) is replacing highly processed foods, so yeah fiber had a correlation but what the actual improvements came from was a better diet of mostly whole foods, there is no magic in actual fiber. imo and cheers.
  • LKHailey
    Options
    What is the purpose of this diet?

Several things -

Low carb for blood sugar control/pre-diabetes, low fat for gallbladder issues, no wheat or dairy and high fiber for gut issues, high protein to prevent muscle wasting, calorie moderation (1200-1350) for obesity. Also, only fresh, unprocessed foods - no fake cheeses, gluten free breads, etc. Yes, it has sucked all the joy out of eating, and some days, I just don't eat at all.
  • LKHailey
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Just to confirm - medical professional directing you to consume BELOW your BMR for 3 straight months? :|

Yes, and at 1300+ calories a day, I barely maintain my weight. To lose, I have to drop down to about 1000 a day.

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,993 Member
    Options
    I eat a single MEAL of 1,000 calories (roughly half my daily intake) 3-4 times per week, and it almost never meets the above-listed requirements of 100+ protein, 25+ fiber. Good luck reaching those numbers consistently.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need fish and very lean meat (99% lean turkey, for example) and egg whites paired with vegetables.
    But fruit has good nutrients, and many people say it doesn’t affect blood sugar much if small amounts at a time are eaten with protein and/or fats at meals. There are many good high fiber low sugar cereals, but introduce them slowly if fiber bothers you.
    If you have digestion problems, have you considered probiotics? Both pills and probiotic and prebiotic food can help.
    If you do not have MFP premium, your carbohydrates includes fiber, so your 50 grams carbs-25 grams fiber = 25 grams net, which I believe is less than recommended for general health. Maybe someone who keeps up with research and statistics can enlighten us?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    uoh9ukmmoqmr.png
    Something like this might help you add fiber—a little at a time.

x39gwk7cq14e.png
    I used to use something like this in baking (muffins) substituting it for some of the flour and sweetener.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I am very supportive of functional medicine, but you may want to consider a different one...
    This is a food list that. has high nutrient content.
    - Dark leafy greens- kale, collards, Swiss chard, arugula, watercress, baby lettuce, spinach
    - Lettuces- butter lettuce, hydroponic, Boston bib, red leaf, Spring mixes
    - Cruciferous vegetables- broccoli, asparagus, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, Bok choi
    - Artichokes, mushrooms, heirloom tomatoes, Microgreens, sprouts
    - Tempeh, tofu, edamame, Sprouted soybeans
    (I am WFPB But still would recommend for some people)
    Wild Caught fish- cod, perch, haddock, dover sole, red snapper, flounder, triple tail.
    -Almonds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds,
    (May help with goals) - Hemp protein, pea protein, Quinoa protein, rice protein. Almond protein
    -Lentils, black beans (small portion if necessary)
    -berries- strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, black berries
    (if you eat meat) Deer, elk, buffalo/ bison, wild turkey