elliptical VS. treadmill?

Options
Im just wondering what will be better for fat loss?

Replies

• NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The treadmill because you have to use your own body weight. You will burn more calories and work more muscles. But, that being said, if you have any issues (knees, back, etc) running might not work for you. So, the elliptical does come close. I burn about 25% more running than I do on the elliptical. But, I stick to the elliptical because my knees hurt when I run.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are doing :)

I get just a good of a calorie burn walking on a high incline at a brisk pace as working on elliptical :)
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Both are very good, just try and stay in the aerobic range and not the anaerobic range for nothing but fat burning
  • Sunny_1989
    Options
    I use the elliptical because I have bad knee and ankle issues, and it is definitely easier on the joints than the treadmill is.
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    a brisk walk at 2-4 incline is the best for your knees, in fact, it's kinda bad for your knees to do much less than that. I cringe at people who put the incline at 10 and then hold on for dear life. They're burning far fewer calories than they think because their arms are supporting a good portion of their weight.

I prefer the elliptical trainer because it's even easier on my knees and *I* have to make it go, it doesn't run by itself like the treadmills, with me just having to keep up, and I prefer the ones with the arms that move because that raises your heart rate and you can often USE your arms to do the exercise and get a bit of an arm workout there. Altho I dislike that the arms don't often have heart rate monitors. I prefer to stay in the fat burning or cardio zone but sometimes I get ahead of myself and when I check, I'm well over where I should be, altho a chest strap/wrist reader HRM would help with that.....
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    a brisk walk at 2-4 incline is the best for your knees, in fact, it's kinda bad for your knees to do much less than that. I cringe at people who put the incline at 10 and then hold on for dear life. They're burning far fewer calories than they think because their arms are supporting a good portion of their weight.
    I'm not sure where you got your info but walking/running at a high incline burns far more calories than running/walking on a flat surface. When you walk/run or even use the elliptical you are using the muscles in your legs/butt/thighs (which happen to be a large muscle group!) and using large muscle groups helps burn more calories/fat.
    When I run a trail that has more hills/higher inclines my HRM has me burning way more calories than when I run the treadmill with no incline or some other flatter surface.
  • marcibar
    Options
    I think they can both be great. I would recommend doing at least some workouts on the treadmill, or walking/jogging outside, because it helps with bone density.
  • crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    The one that works the best is the one you will use.

That being said, my wife has lost about 93lbs and I have lost almost 70lbs using the elliptical we bought on the new years sale.

If you get your heart rate at a certain level, and it is in that range on either machine, they should both burn the same. The elliptical however is considered low impact.

Recently I have started jogging as well, and I think initially it is a bit harder if you arent fit. I am enjoying the fact that after 8 months on the elliptical i can actually do 8 laps around the soccer field. I havent bee able to do that since I was in high school.

Either way, pick one and commit to it. You will see results.

Good luck!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it that counts.
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I was referring to the people who support their weight by holding on for dear life because the incline is too high. knocking it down to a level where they can walk or run without holding on would burn more calories for them. and my original statement was also to always use an incline for your knees (which also burns more calories), I HATE walking on a treadmill at 0 incline. Sorry I wasn't clear in my original statement. Moving THRU space also burns more than moving IN place on a treadmill, but for me to have consistent workouts, a gym has to be involved for me, so that's what i'm doing now.
    I'm not sure where you got your info but walking/running at a high incline burns far more calories than running/walking on a flat surface. When you walk/run or even use the elliptical you are using the muscles in your legs/butt/thighs (which happen to be a large muscle group!) and using large muscle groups helps burn more calories/fat.
    When I run a trail that has more hills/higher inclines my HRM has me burning way more calories than when I run the treadmill with no incline or some other flatter surface.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I use both, when I use the elliptical, I don't use the handles, I usually just hold on to the center handles and run. I like variety.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options

I prefer the elliptical trainer because it's even easier on my knees and *I* have to make it go, it doesn't run by itself like the treadmills, with me just having to keep up, and I prefer the ones with the arms that move because that raises your heart rate and you can often USE your arms to do the exercise and get a bit of an arm workout there. Altho I dislike that the arms don't often have heart rate monitors. I prefer to stay in the fat burning or cardio zone but sometimes I get ahead of myself and when I check, I'm well over where I should be, altho a chest strap/wrist reader HRM would help with that.....

I hold on for dear life no matter where my incline or how fast I am going. I had a bad fall almost 3 years ago where I tore my labrum in my shoulder in 2 places, dislocated it and ended up with a grade 2 ATFL sprain (I was out for a run). I just had surgery to fix what I did to my shoulder on June 1 of this year...and it was the worst thing I have experienced in my life (and I am STILL recovering from it). I don't trust my feet anymore. I HOLD ON!!! It has nothing to do with not being able to keep up. I have seen way too many people fly off the treadmill!!
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options

I hold on for dear life no matter where my incline or how fast I am going. I had a bad fall almost 3 years ago where I tore my labrum in my shoulder in 2 places, dislocated it and ended up with a grade 2 ATFL sprain (I was out for a run). I just had surgery to fix what I did to my shoulder on June 1 of this year...and it was the worst thing I have experienced in my life (and I am STILL recovering from it). I don't trust my feet anymore. I HOLD ON!!! It has nothing to do with not being able to keep up. I have seen way too many people fly off the treadmill!!

Ouch!
  • Dijon360
    Options
    I think you can cheat on an elliptical by using your weight for momentum. I can't do that on a treadmill so it makes me work harder. That said, I can't do treadmill every day - I get shin splints and overall it feels harder on joints.

I do have to say that if you're serious about running, get running shoes not just fashion trainers/sneakers. They make all the difference.