Are you a member of the Misto Club?

Options
I work at a cafe, and a lot of times people ask how they can cut calories. They aren't huge coffee drinkers and enjoy the fun of a latte, but did you know that you can have all the fun of a latte, still get the caffeine you crave, and not even have to do it with non fat milk?

Just order it as a misto or "cafe au lait" and you get almost the exact same flavor as your latte with all the milky goodness, and you save soooo many calories (well not a whole lot, but enough to where you don't have to call a latte breakfast).

Seriously, I started doing this in the morning, and it's fantastic. I've gone from a 250-300 calorie drink to a drink with a 140 tops, with soy milk!

Oh, did I mention I also do this with tea? Also a delicious choice, with some helpful antioxidants to boot! :D

Replies

• freshstart4me
    Options
    WHAT??!!! i dont go out to cafes cause i work at home but when i get the treat from this point forward i will think of you and kiss my latte cup in appreciation!
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Great suggestion! Thanks!
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Can I order this anywhere? What does "cafe au lait" mean?
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    It means coffee with milk. At Starbucks you would order a coffee misto. Half coffee half milk. It is cheaper than a latte too.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    "Cafe au lait is actually equal parts of regular coffee and hot milk. A cafe latte is made with 1/3 espresso and 2/3’s hot steamed milk. A cafe latte generally does not have a milk froth top. Sugar is generally not added to a caffe latte but those who prefer sweetened coffee will often add it to cafe au lait.

Many people cannot tell cafe au lait and cafe latte apart"

http://coffeeandteatime.com/blog/2008/cafelatte-cafeaulait/

---

I like espresso instead of regular drip coffee so I will stick with a cappuccino...or a Turkish. :)
  • potatosensei
    potatosensei Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I originally started doing it because I was

a. addicted to lattes but also,

b. lactose intolerant

So I just couldn't down a 16 oz soy latte everyday anymore. It was just way too much. So by switching to mistos, you basically flip the milk to coffee proportions around and get not the same exact drink, but something deliciously close.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    Thanks! I think I will try that tomorrow. I think I will try a Cafe Misto with nonfat milk and sugar free hazelnut syrup. :) 70 calories. :D
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    That's a great tip, thank you so much!
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I've been a Starbucks junkie for years, but must admit I get either drip coffee or a latte. This morning, I ordered a caffe misto, bold, non-fat. Cost $1.50 less than a latte, only 60 cents more than drip coffee, and it is very good. This is my new order at the 'bucks!

Thanks to the OP and everyone else's comments. A delicious alternative, and since I struggle to get enough calcium in my diet, a low fat way to add that too!
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I got my first caffe misto from Starbucks this morning. I love it!!! Thank you for mentioning this.
  • kleverkira
    kleverkira Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I will definitely need to try this. I had heard other people mention it but wasn't sure what a misto really was. Thanks!
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I thought this topic was going to be about the spray bottle for olive oil. :)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    As someone who grew up in New Orleans, I've always known of a cafe au lait (and love it). Took me forever to figure out that Starbucks called it a cafe misto. I highly recommend them. :)
  • WildWayfaringWoman
    Options
    You can make one at home (sort of). I have a little whisk that runs on batteries. It is the size of a quarter at the end. You can buy them in kitchen supply stores. I heat my milk in the micro, whisk it with my little gadget, add coffee immediately.
    it is not quite as fabulous as a Starbuck's misto or cafe-au-lait at the coffee shops... but pretty close. It is a lot less expensive and makes me happy :)