Weightlifting achievement thread

Options
I'll get the ball rolling here. Today my coach said that my shoulder mobility has improved to the point where I can narrow my snatch grip. Also I can back squat 30kg at full depth now! ( 3 sets of 8 @30kg). Im proud!

What about you? Start showing off! 😀

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,467 Member
    Options
    Hey, congratulations! I'm lifting as form of rehab and preparation for yet another shoulder surgery. My kit is rubbish. When I make squats I first need to sit on my bench, get the bar on the shoulders, stand up, walk to the end, then do the squats. Thus my 'lifting' is more based on getting strength back and many reps instead of heavy. I did bentover rows with 18.5kg today, and bench press with 16kg. Can't do overhead lifts because I mostly can't lift up my arm, and if I can I don't even manage 1kg yet ;)
  • rachelpetra89
    rachelpetra89 Posts: 23 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Keep at it. Rehab is tough and your an animal for getting through it! Hope you recover fully soon. Don't knock what you're doing either, adaptations are great when we need them.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,414 Member
    Options
    While it's great to applaud other people's accomplishments lifting, don't let it impact your own lifting experience. I bench press twice as much as one guy my size at my gym, and half as much as another guy. Real easy to get a big head or feel inconsequential.

Personally, I can't wait until this coming Monday, when my rehab time away from weights will finally allow me to start lifting again after four months without.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Hey, congratulations! I'm lifting as form of rehab and preparation for yet another shoulder surgery. My kit is rubbish. When I make squats I first need to sit on my bench, get the bar on the shoulders, stand up, walk to the end, then do the squats. Thus my 'lifting' is more based on getting strength back and many reps instead of heavy. I did bentover rows with 18.5kg today, and bench press with 16kg. Can't do overhead lifts because I mostly can't lift up my arm, and if I can I don't even manage 1kg yet ;)
    Is that dangerous, the way you're getting positioned for squats?

Consider the barbell hack squat, also known as hack deadlift. Bar starts on the floor, or you could raise it a little as needed on blocks or plates. Step in front of it, squat like deadlift starting, reach behind you with hands just wide of your waist, and lift and squat. It hits the quads hard, and presumably won't be an issue for your shoulders. Don't grip wider than I suggested or the bar will likely stick against your hams.
  • recover808
    recover808 Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I'll get the ball rolling here. Today my coach said that my shoulder mobility has improved to the point where I can narrow my snatch grip. Also I can back squat 30kg at full depth now! ( 3 sets of 8 @30kg). Im proud!

What about you? Start showing off! 😀

Just wondering why you are narrowing your grip? Usually the wider the grip (of course if you can safely use it) the easier the snatch is.

Good luck. Keep everyone posted on your progress

Aloha
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,467 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Is that dangerous, the way you're getting positioned for squats?

Consider the barbell hack squat, also known as hack deadlift. Bar starts on the floor, or you could raise it a little as needed on blocks or plates. Step in front of it, squat like deadlift starting, reach behind you with hands just wide of your waist, and lift and squat. It hits the quads hard, and presumably won't be an issue for your shoulders. Don't grip wider than I suggested or the bar will likely stick against your hams.

well, the weight is not heavy, thus it's fine to walk a few steps with the bar. I could probably incorporate the hack squat. Need to find out whether it hits one of my problematic shoulder parts. Good idea!