Can't Stop NIght Snacking

Options
At first I realized that I was eating dinner just a bit too early, so by 8-9 at night I was really hungry. Now, I have realized that it's a habit. Even when I'm not hungry at all, I want to eat something about 9-9:30 at night. Does anyone have this problem or an idea how to avoid this late night snacking? Thanks for any help...

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Eating at night has become a habit. I save calories for evening. An apple or banana or slice of cheese fills the hole, most of the time. If it doesn't, usually it's because I've been undereating and actually need more food. When we are traveling, I often don't get the midnight munchies, but I also get a lot less exercise so am less hungry.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    if i'm hungry, i eat a yogurt or something tasty with protein. if i just want to snack, i have homemade sugar free, almost calorie free popsicles in a wide variety of flavors. coke zero sugar or sweet coffee taste great as popsicles, and zero sugar 7 up makes yummy popsicles if you mix in your favorite water enhancer, and i also like sweetened ice tea popsicles or grapefruit or cranberry. there's also sugar free snack pack juicy gels have almost no calories (i think they have 5 per cup).
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    You could try getting ready for bed and brushing your teeth earlier. Nothing tastes nice after you’ve got that minty fresh toothpaste taste in your mouth.

It very much sounds just like a habit that you need to cease and once you’ve done so then you won’t miss it.

Perhaps hold a stash of ‘approved’ evening snacks which aren’t your high calorie chocolate, biscuits, crisps etc but only fruit or protein. If you know those are your only option maybe you’ll be less tempted and it’ll help break the cycle?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    • Eat a bigger dinner or eat more throughout the day in general, including sufficient protein fat and fiber. Make sure it's all logged and all calories for the day are eaten.
    • Go to bed earlier/eat dinner later. I'm not hungry after dinner if dinner is 3 hours before bedtime.
    • "Close the kitchen" after dinner. Dishes done, lights out.
    • Sit on hands. Do chores or a hand-involved hobby.
    • Brush teeth
  • wolfpack4180237
    wolfpack4180237 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It can be difficult to stop. I think one of the first steps you need to do is meal prepping. If you meal prep, then you can eat more food later in the day to help with your cravings.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    How much protein and fiber are you eating for dinner? They take longer to digest and help keep you satiated longer.

As for the habit of snacking, when you feel the urge, you need to do something that "breaks the chain." Drink a little water, go for a short walk, anything that will delay it. Often this short "break" will help the urges pass. If you're still hungry, have a small snack that has protein and fiber.
  • Mischante
    Mischante Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of go to's for a before bed snack. First is a muscle milk protein shake because it has 25g of protein and only 160 calories which fills me up. Second is called a Built Bar. It's basically a candy bar with 15 g protein and only 130 calories. Occasionally I will have 3 cups of Boom Chica Pop popcorn (140 cal) or a serving of Harvest Snaps (130 calories, 5g protein). Basically I turn to protein to satisfy me and keep me satiated.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Do you eat breakfast? I used to not, and would snack at night. It took a few weeks, but I can honestly say I rarely want a bedtime snack anymore, and I think it’s either because I’m eating enough earlier, or because I tell myself I can make myself yummy breakfast tomorrow and don’t need the ham sandwich at 9.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,804 Member
    Options
    I could knock down some serious snacks in the evening.

Now, I’ve trained myself not to eat after 9pm.

We about for dinner between 6:30 and 7:30 and automatically take the dog for a long walk after dinner.

When we get home, it’s usually nearly 8, so just enough time to settle down and have a snack I’ve budgeted for.

If I don’t have many calories left, a “rich” tea like a chai with milk and half and half and liberal diesels of cinnamon is very satisfying. A green or “packet” tea just wouldn’t do the job for me.

But our favorite is a low cal homemade ice cream. We make it an event. We use pretty sundae dishes, and canned whipped cream (surprisingly low cal) , sprinkles, sugar free syrups, maraschino cherries (5 cal apiece) make it festive. Our ice cream are simple- skyr or Greek yogurt, whipped with sugar free pudding mix, some water, some Skinny Syrup to amp up the flavor. We can have a huge bowl for 150-170 calories apiece.

Tonight’s an experiment: chocolate cayenne.

The vanilla we’ve made even makes an awesome rootbeer float with some sugar free Barques. A huge serving of that comes in about 110 calories and is just as tasty as going to a diner or whatnot.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I budget for 9 PM snacking - 50 g strawberries, 100 g low fat vanilla Greek yogurt, 20 g granola = 177 calories.
  • sexyjacky
    sexyjacky Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem .. always snacking at night
  • ItsNoworNeverGypsy
    ItsNoworNeverGypsy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue so I figure in a snack like a premeasured baggie of pretzels and have it before 7pm. I brush my teeth afterwards and tell myself no snacking after 7 pm. It’s really more in my head than what my stomach needs.
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @Dreamroper ~ how's it going?
  • Dreamroper
    Dreamroper Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions! I've started eating some grapes in the evening when I want a snack. They seem to work for me because they're sweet and filling. I also have found some apple crisps in the frozen section at Safeway that are only 170 calories. They're basically a cup of sweet cooked apples with a little bit of crumbs on top. I really appreciate all of your input, thanks again!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    I have some planned snacks (yogurt, fruit, veg) that are built into my day, it was the unplanned grazing on whatever that was annoying me.

Having the dog on the couch with me put a stop to that. The dog doesn't need extra calories so I can't share. Therefore, I abstain.
  • Dreamroper
    Dreamroper Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    I have some planned snacks (yogurt, fruit, veg) that are built into my day, it was the unplanned grazing on whatever that was annoying me.

Having the dog on the couch with me put a stop to that. The dog doesn't need extra calories so I can't share. Therefore, I abstain.

Oh how I wish that I liked yogurt! Unfortunately, I just can't stand the stuff, not even in smoothies. I made a banana smoothie one night with a mix from the grocery store which was very filling but I almost fell out of my chair when I added up the calories.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    Dreamroper wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »

Oh how I wish that I liked yogurt! Unfortunately, I just can't stand the stuff, not even in smoothies. I made a banana smoothie one night with a mix from the grocery store which was very filling but I almost fell out of my chair when I added up the calories.

As a non-meat-eater I'm always looking to bump up my protein and the calcium is a nice bonus too.

One of my other regular snacks is smooth cottage cheese (Nordica is the brand I get but there must be others). Same texture as yogurt but without the sour tang. Or quark, another cheese product. I can't get it here but I've bought it in US grocers in the single serve pots like yogurt.
  • alicegriffiths70
    alicegriffiths70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I rely on lollies. (I'm UK so maybe call them Popsicles?) But ice lollies which are around 50 cals and take a while to eat . I especially like the fruit pastel ones as there are layers of flavour and it tends to then stop me having anything else after.