How do you minimize time logging meals?

Options
nephritic
nephritic Posts: 2 Member
Brand new to MFP and it seems a bit overwhelming to log everything you eat. This is the premise for success with calorie counting, so I hope to hear how you minimize the time spent feeding the app.

Replies

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    After logging a few days, foods that regularly repeat should show up in your 'Add Food; list. Unless your food choices are constantly changing, eventually there should be a core collection of often logged foods. I have four pages of repeat entries and most days I can page through and simply click the box next to most of what I eat.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I find it quicker to log on my phone, as the app will search for previously logged foods if you just type a few letters of the name of the food, rather than having to manually page through the list on the website.

Like anything you do, it should get quicker with practice.

The "save meal" function can be helpful. I have meals for things like oatmeal + all the things I might add to oatmeal and for all the different ingredients I use for smoothies -- I find it's much quicker to delete any ingredients you didn't use that time, and adjust any quantities as needed, than to search for multiple ingredients and log them. You could do the same thing for salads, or really any meal that you vary from time to time but generally make from some finite list of ingredients.

I even have "meals" that include all the ingredients I ever get at various restaurant chains, like Chipotle and Cafe Rio, where your meals are assembled from various ingredients. Much quicker to log the meal and then delete the things I didn't have that time.

The recipe function is helpful if you cook multi-meal dishes, or cook the same recipes repeatedly. I tend to use recipes more as jumping off points, but it's still helpful since one batch of something will make multiple servings, and I'm usually cooking for one.

A scale with a tare function is very helpful, and you'll soon find that you don't need to measure things -- either put the plate or bowl you'll be eating from on the scale and weigh each food/ingredient as you add it, or if things are going onto the stove, put the container on the scale, tare, add however much you want to the pot or pan, and check the weight of the container. It will be a negative number, but the absolute value is the amount you've removed to eat. (This is also a good strategy for peanut butter or anything where you're going to lick the spoon. :smiley: )
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    It’s certainly easier if you’ve a set of frequently eaten foods and meals. When I’m logging tightly in a weight loss phase then I do tend to have less variety in my diet and stick to items where I know their calorie content and it’s easy to repeat them as entries.

It honestly will be quick and easy once you get into the swing of it. Copying entire meals from previous days is also helpful. I do this a lot for breakfast and snacks etc during the working week.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    It will eventually become second nature to you and take no time at all. Like others have said, creating meals and recipes are definite time savers. I have things like smoothies, breakfast yoghurt, home made pizza, salad, oatmeal, etc, in my meals and just delete whatever ingredient is different on that particular day. I use the app on my phone instead of going to my laptop.

We are creatures of habit and tend to eat a lot of the same foods so then they'll pop up for you so you aren't always having to do a more detailed search. If you do have to search a specific ingredient, like lean ground beef for example, search it as beef ground lean usda. Then you don't have to go through a dozen different questionable entries such as '"Aunt Cathy's ground beef, one serving".
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.
    It takes a little while to start with but it will get easier and you will eventually enter things without much hassle.

I use the My meals so I know on work days I have wheatbixs and milk with 2 coffees. Enter it save it and use over and over on any day without having to re enter each item.

For lunches and evening meal I use the my recipe.

Each meal may need adjusting due to weights of ,say vegetables I use

Good luck
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    As others say, logging becomes much easier as you build your library of “favorite” foods.

Humans are creatures of habit. You probably don’t even realize you eat the same old stuff.

Every afternoon I have the same bowl of cottage cheese with fruit, a Nugo bar, and either jerky or airpopped popcorn. It’s super easy to go to my Afternoon Snacks section, click the three dots and “copy yesterday’s afternoon snack”.

Or, for lunch today, I’m having a wrap with lettuce tomato and some homemade labneh and hummus from the other night. Easy to copy an earlier dinner to a Saturday lunch.

We have a homemade low cal ice cream every night. I’ve saved every ice cream recipe variation as a “meal”. Each “meal” makes three one-pint containers of ice cream Easy peasy to select my ice cream, adjust it to .17 (aka 1/6 of the recipe) and add it to my evening snacks.

However you do it, though, do log. Logging gave me great insight into the “cost” of calories, i.e. how much exercise it took to burn off a serving of something. That was when things clicked into place and I started making better choices. Once I was invested and making those better choices, my tastebuds changed and I no longer craved the chocolate, pies, cookies, cakes, store-bought ice creams, gobs of breads.

“Old Me” would never have considered a labneh wrap and carrots & radishes with hummus as a lunch, but it’s delish!
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    This is probably what bums me out the most about being a diligent logger. I love to cook, and I cook freestyle, and I can’t just add a-bit-of-this-a-bit-of-that to the pot. Sadly, I find myself sticking to the same recipes and meals so I don’t have to re-enter everything. It’s a time saver, but it cramps my style. ☹️
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Saving meals is a huge time saver. I also log multiple days in advance. Spend about 10 minutes doing it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,153 Member
    Options
    IMO, it's finding the methods that are right for your preferences and style, and learning how to use MFP's tools (database, recent/current food lists, saved meals, saved recipes), plus kitchen tools (like a food scale) to support that style in the most efficient way practical . . . and I do mean "practical", not theoretically perfect". Accurate enough to succeed is literally accurate enough.

There's a learning a learning curve: It legit takes more time at first, because we're not very skilled at it. On top of that, it requires a lot of mindshare or brain bandwidth at the start, which makes the time seem even longer and the task feel even more burdensome. Stuff like "the package has serving in cups and grams, and I weighed in grams but it wasn't an even number of servings, and the food database only has serving size in cups" . . . there's conscious, plodding thought - maybe - to math that out.

After a while, most of that becomes habitual, automatic, pretty easy - a practiced skill. You become a virtuoso at logging.

All skills work this way, pretty much: When you were a little kid - if you remember - and learned to tie your shoes, at first when someone showed you, it seemed impossibly complex (for most of us anyway). After you'd been patiently led through it X number of times, you could do it on your own, but you probably were thinking hard on every step of it (maybe "bunny ears" method or some such). It was possible, but laborious. By adulthood, you probably just do it without even thinking about it, in mere seconds: Your fingers make the moves without you even giving it conscious attention. Logging is not that different.

For me, in year 7+ of maintaining a healthy weight by calorie counting (after around 30 previous years of overeweight/obesity), it's a rare day that takes even as much as 10 minutes - spread across the day - to log my eating. I do it pretty much without thinking about it, it's just how I cook and eat - and I'm one of those "make it up on the spur of the moment" cooks, mostly cooking from scratch. It's pretty common for a day to have 25-30 or more lines of food that I've logged, and I've weighed most of it.

To me, something less than 10 minutes a day is a ridiculously small price to pay to stay thin: My quality of life is So. Much. Better. Less pain, more mobility, capable of doing more things, even better mood and sense of well being. There aren't many things I do that have such a big payoff for such a small time investment!

On the practical side, different methods work for different people.

Me, I keep my food scale out on my counter.

Most things are weighed by the subtract method. (Put jar of peanut butter on scale, tare/zero scale, scoop out peanut butter, note negative number on scale - it's how much I took out - log that.)

Some things are weighed by the add method, say sandwich: Put plate on scale, tare/zero. Put bread on plate, note weight, zero. Add mayo, note weight, zero. Add cheese slices, note weight, zero. Repeat for all ingredients. Works for salads, sandwiches, ingredients going into a pot for soup/stew, whatever.

For me, it works best to note items/weights on paper as I cook, then log on my device later (when fingers aren't wet or food-y). I note on bits of paper on their way to recycling, like the back of junk mail envelopes. (Early in weight loss, I had to be a little more cautious, as I was developing an intuition about where I was in my calorie budget. Now I have a pretty good sense at dinner about whether I should check before adding a handful of sunflower seeds to my salad, or something.) Sometimes I wait to log in MFP until the end of the day, then maybe see that I have room for an extra evening treat.

Give yourself time to learn and get comfortable. Other people here can help you learn, either by you reading their posts, or by you posting questions of your own (like this one). It's kind of like the people who helped you learn to tie your shoes! If you're patient with yourself and the process, and give yourself some time to learn - recognizing that it's an investment in long-term improved health - you'll be surprised how soon you get comfortable with the details, and can do them in a shorter time, with less thought-effort.

Best wishes!
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    This is probably what bums me out the most about being a diligent logger. I love to cook, and I cook freestyle, and I can’t just add a-bit-of-this-a-bit-of-that to the pot. Sadly, I find myself sticking to the same recipes and meals so I don’t have to re-enter everything. It’s a time saver, but it cramps my style. ☹️

I don't like cooking but when I do, I also freestyle. And I agree it is hard/time consuming to log all bits and pieces.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    You can just jot down your 'this and that' additions on some paper or a small whiteboard and then enter it on MFP when done, that's a lot easier.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    TheBoldCat wrote: »

I don't like cooking but when I do, I also freestyle. And I agree it is hard/time consuming to log all bits and pieces.

When I go wild on spices and herbs I guess. I know many spices are rather high in calories and thus I might log a calorie heavy one for everything I used. Usually still is just 50kcal, but on a 550kcal meal that's still a decent %
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options

I would create base meals with the main ingredients, then just quick add any little modifications as you finish cooking.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    You can just jot down your 'this and that' additions on some paper or a small whiteboard and then enter it on MFP when done, that's a lot easier.

I use a magnetic dry/erase board and to make things even easier, I divide the board into category columns so that I don't have to write down the food. I can just quickly write 150 in the CARBS column and 170 under the PROTEIN. That way I don't need to stop and write 'chicken breasts' or 'potato' while cooking.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Lietchi wrote: »

I use a magnetic dry/erase board and to make things even easier, I divide the board into category columns so that I don't have to write down the food. I can just quickly write 150 in the CARBS column and 170 under the PROTEIN. That way I don't need to stop and write 'chicken breasts' or 'potato' while cooking.

When I cook, it’s the measuring that slows me down and stifles me, so jotting down for later really doesn’t help much. I keep track of everything that’s more than a few calories.

It’s just something I have to deal with.

• badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    There's a reason barcode scanning is now a premium feature: it absolutely speeds up logging to just scan & go