Ballet Dancers!

Options
Are there any ballet dancers out there? I just started ballet and would love to hear if there is anyone else in the community who dances.

:)

Replies

• Speckle38
    Speckle38 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dancer yet, but I'm starting classes in 2 weeks time.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Not Ballet, I dance Lindy Hop... I'd love to have someone here who's into that as well. :)
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Dancer here! Been dancing for about 4 years and I am HOOKED. I've just recently started pointe, but I've taken ballet, jazz, modern, lyrical and I'm also in an aerial hoop class.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Not Ballet, I dance Lindy Hop... I'd love to have someone here who's into that as well. :)

One of my friends "jamesguidera" dances Lindy Hop.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I took non-professional ballet classes for six years, now I just dance at home :) I miss it, but I moved and I can't find ballet schools which are not super-expensive and/or super-competitive.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm not a ballet dancer. I loved ballet when I was younger, but I have not done ballet for a long time. I got my degree in contemporary dance. I'm a contemporary dancer.
  • Speckle38
    Options
    I've never done ballet before, but my daughter has been going for 18months and is really keen, and her dancing school offers a class for adult beginners. I am mainly going so that when she asks me if she's doing something correctly, I might know the answer! But I'm really looking forward to it - I always wanted to do ballet, but there was nowhere where I grew up to do it.
  • dancektxoxo
    dancektxoxo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was actually a professional dancer a few years ago before an injury. :]
    I was part of a modern company as well as a guest artist with local ballet schools to dance with them. I hope to get back on that track!
    Because of said injury, I'm currently where I am weight-wise, for the most part. Part of my goal list is to be dancing professionally again. Dance is a wonderful escape - welcome it! <3
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Have you just started ballet as an adult?

I'd think that's quite unusual. Many people in my experience ( including myself and my children) went to ballet class as kids. And used that experience to go on to hdifferent styles of dance in the future.
  • Speckle38
    Options
    Yes, I am about to start ballet as an over-40 adult. I think starting ballet as an adult might be more common if there were more places that offered classes for beginning adults. My daughter's dancing school is the only one I've found in our whole city that does, and ballet is not their main focus dance-wise. I know if my daughter wants to pursue this interest, we will have to change schools, probably in 12 months' time.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I danced ballet as a child, then took a class again when I was 18, and now I'm back at it (I'm 27 now, getting too old for dancing at the night clubs lol). Though I'm taking the course at my university (yep, still a grad student) and it's taught by a fellow student, so maybe not the best quality dance class, but it's cheap and it's fun! Classes for adults are REALLY hard to come by.

When I was a kid, my mom and my aunt also took adult ballet classes, everyone in the class was middle aged (they were a lot of mom's who's daughters/sons danced ballet too), they had lots of fun. My aunt and some of the women even danced at our big end of the year show! They had small roles, but they had a blast!

Getting the basics is key, learning the positions and basic steps. Well, all dances are like that, really!

I'm always prancing around my house, my kitchen is basically a dance studio. Roommates have asked me about all that 'jumping' they here coming from my room.... be careful, dancing is addictive!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I know of lots of people that start ballet as an adult. Or they did dance or ballet when they were younger and go back again as an adult, so basically a beginner level for their body and technique (but with some understanding and experience in place). Sometimes I do go to a ballet class, it's just not something I'm doing regularly at the moment. But, lots of contemporary for me.
  • hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    YES! You will LOVE it! I danced when I was younger - never professionally, but I practically lived at the studio and performed. I was never in better shape than I was when I was dancing - granted, when you're taking at LEAST one class a day, 5-6 days a week, it would be difficult not to be in good shape. When we had to lift weights in gym class, I could leg press more weight and do more incline sit-ups than most of the jocks in my class. For me though, the best part of ballet was not the body it gave me, but the sense of discipline it instilled. Progress is slow, but steady, and it helped me curb my impatience a bit , not expect immediate results, and to work my @$$ off for what I wanted (in those days, it was perfect pirouettes). Also, it will improve your posture and the way you carry yourself; it's been almost 15 years since I consistently danced, but to this day I still have people tell me "you move like a dancer."

The unintended consequence is that you will instinctively point your toes and use ballet arms when you need straight arms and flexed feet (like yoga class!). And when you see ballerina ornaments and Christmastime, you'll be tempted to correct their form.

Good luck, and enjoy!!!
  • skellogg21
    skellogg21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am just getting back into ballet as well! I took some classes as a child and some as an older teen, but I have always wanted to go much farther with it. I'm 23 now, and it has been hard to find affordable classes around here. I really want to get back into it, and I loved tha barre workouts, any suggestions? :) Much appreciated!
  • commotionstrange
    commotionstrange Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting into ballet as an adult!

After a childhood full of dance, I got back to ballet classes a couple years ago (I'm 33)...I love it! I only go twice a week, but I really enjoy it. The hardest part has definitely been managing expectations on myself. I was so much thinner and stronger when I was doing it before, but now I have to accept different levels of difficulty.

Anyways, enjoy yourself!!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

I dance Lindy! Well, I know how, I haven't really done much since I moved. There is a Friday night dance close to the apartment, but but it is crazy follow heavy. I need more practice as a lead, I guess.
  • CorinnePina
    CorinnePina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    cooi wrote: »
    Are there any ballet dancers out there? I just started ballet and would love to hear if there is anyone else in the community who dances.

:)

• CorinnePina
    CorinnePina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am an adult dancer and take 3-4 ballet classes a week. I just started Pointe as an adult. I love the Broche Ballet and Kathryn Morgan ‘s online classes.