I regained weight I lost …

Hi there I was 265 at my heaviest in 2019 and I got down to 218 then to go back up to now 250 , I feel like I am not in control whatsoever anymore Z

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,105 Member
    Well that’s on you. When you’re ready to take your life back things will change and not before,
  • laurosaurusrex
    laurosaurusrex Posts: 66 Member
    You did it before, you can do it again. Try and identify what were the pain points that maybe caused it to be unsustainable. It’s a life long journey so try to learn and implement tools for lasting success. Maintenance is definitely the hardest part IMO
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    edited March 2023
    Well...at least it's not 265 again. :no_mouth:

Why did you regain? ...and, you don't have to answer anyone but yourself...

Did you stop eating the way you ate in order to lose weight?

If you had been logging food, did you stop?

Was it stress eating?

Was it cookies?

Was it alcohol and munchies?

Pinpoint the areas you let slip and get back at it.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Hi there I was 265 at my heaviest in 2019 and I got down to 218 then to go back up to now 250 , I feel like I am not in control whatsoever anymore Z

Might be time for therapy, specifically one that is Cognitive Behavioral based (CBT.) I offer that as someone who is in therapy.

I'd suggest OA, but I was never a fan of 12 step groups myself, and from what I hear there is currently a lot of demonizing of flour and sugar, which may or may not be a good fit for you.

SMART Recovery has some in person meetings, lots of online meetings, and is free. It helped me when I used to self-medicate with alcohol.

https://www.smartrecovery.org/eating-disorders/

...While many SMART Recovery groups are prominently for other addictions, the tools you will learn are the same and SMART Recovery’s non 12-step approach can be used as an alternative to Overeaters Anonymous or other food addiction support groups. You can substitute any terms or talk you hear about alcohol or drugs for restricting or binging and purging, and you will be able to get the support you need and deserve.
  • samlynn89
    samlynn89 Posts: 2 Member
    It's so tough when you know you can do it but you have sort of fallen off track. I'm in a similar situation and I'm really struggling to get back on track. One thing I've found has actually helped my relationship with food is being more kind to myself and not beating myself up for having 2 cookies.
    I've suffered from all side of the disordered eating spectrum and I've always "blamed" food. Made foods "bad", but I've been reminding myself that it's ok to enjoy food in moderation. It's not a perfect formula, I still don't have a good relationship with my body or food but baby steps are key.
    Is there any exercises that you really like? Maybe going for walks or yoga?
  • StephanieDL1
    StephanieDL1 Posts: 18 Member
    I have regained weight plus more since the last time I lost weight. You're not alone... hugs
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 449 Member
    I regained some due to stress drinking and then eating too much. I am getting back on the horse and am going to stop drinking and then eating too much. If I can do it, so can you!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Your body is doing exactly what millions of years of evolution designed it to do: Eat a little more than you need whenever possible in preparation for lean times. The fact that we can store weeks to months of extra energy in our bodies is THE human superpower that got us to where we are today. It's funny that we think lean muscular bodies as a paradigm. Not so much in lean times! I try to remember that when I see my own flabby body in the mirror.

Anyway, it should not be surprising that it requires a lot of intellectual override to undo millions of years of evolution. It requires an intellectual override of our basic programing. The degree of difficulty in controlling ones weight varies greatly from person to person.

So, if you want to be successful, keep in mind that you are up against your own core nature. There are good reasons not to be too heavy in terms of your health, so it is worth it. But, it pays to bring every resource at your disposal to bear: doctors, psychologists, nutritionists, physical trainers, and/or trainers, as they are available and affordable.

Best of luck!
  • rosiekin
    rosiekin Posts: 80 Member
    Until 2014, I’d spent most of my adult life repeatedly losing then regaining weight. This is quite common so definitely don’t beat yourself up. When you’re in the right head space, you’ll be able to focus on losing weight again. You’ve done it before so you can do it again. Do whatever works for you, but try not to lose weight doing anything you can’t keep up when you reach your maintenance/goal weight. Good luck.