Nutritional supplements

I'm already taking a women's multivitamin, in addition to my synthroid pill (have hypothyroidism), but I'm looking for advice on any supplements y'all can recommend to help maintain a healthy heart and muscles. Any recommendations?
Thanks.:smile:

Replies

• eh if you're just getting into lifting, stick with protein. don't be fooled by GNC's flash with their "lean meal shakes" and ish. optimum nutrition's 100% whey is where it's at.
  • laurenlivesfit
    laurenlivesfit Posts: 17 Member
    Fish oil, Flaxseed, Vit. D3 and CoQ10 is what I take for healthy heart supplements.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    I have found in the past that Fish Oil supplements (combined with regular exercise) made a big improvement on my Cholesterol levels

And I was told by my neurologist (sp?) to take a ton of B vitamins every day (Super B Complex, B12, AND B6) to combat some of the early symptoms of carpel tunnel syndrome.

So those would be the ones that immediately come to mind for heart and muscle health but I would strongly suggest you talk to your doctor that prescribes the Synthroid medication before starting any new supplements. Thyroid disorders can be impacted a great deal by changes in diet, exercise and nutritional supplements. My father takes the same medication and has had to continuously have it adjusted as he's lost close to 100 lbs in the past year.

FYI - My Dad lost ~100 lbs in a year using "Ideal Protein", which I would not recommend for anyone looking for long-term success. It's a program based on eating very few calories/day, NOT exercising, and buying a lot of specialty food products.
  • i hear fish oil is great ( i cant take it because im prone to acne and this just flares it up something aweful ) but I also like calcium ( i'm afraid of being a hunch back in my old age )
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    eh if you're just getting into lifting, stick with protein. don't be fooled by GNC's flash with their "lean meal shakes" and ish. optimum nutrition's 100% whey is where it's at.

I like them too, reasonably priced and low sugar. Add a bit of the chocolate flavored to my oates in the morning and it is like a healthier version of malt o meal yummy.