How do you use MFP for support when it's not being used Properly

Options
I use to be active on MFP and now that I have some health issues under control I want to start back again for the support. One big issue I'm struggling with. How do I do that when MFP can't seem to monitor and remove online post that crosses the line between men and women? Especially when it was comments directed towards my spouse that turned onto much more than MFP support. Why is it not being removed?

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you are speaking of. You only have one post on the forums. Maybe by this point something has been removed?

While someone who knows me already could probably stumble onto the forums and figure out who I am, I generally don't post a lot of identifying information on the Internet. I don't post my real name or pictures of myself. Some people do offer more, and that's fine. I accept that sometimes I will get comments about me or my lifestyle that I will have to disregard even if they're not overtly hateful or threatening (those I would report, if I ever got one). This forum is one of the best ones I've ever been on, but sometimes there are trolls or rude people, and sometimes even the posters who tend to keep cool heads get frustrated. We're human.

There are some boards and threads I just choose not to participate in because they're not to my taste.

Sometimes I have been pushed a little in my thinking from other posters and it was uncomfortable at first but later on I realized it was something I needed to hear. Some posters have more blunt communication styles than others. When you hang out for a while you can learn how to read people. I tend to be wordier. I am like that in real life, too. :smiley:

I do hope you stick around, and I'm sorry you haven't felt as supported as you would like thus far. I hope that changes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about posts in the Community area, did you click "flag" under that post, then "report", plus click the appropriate reason tick-box, optionally add a note? I've always gotten some action by the volunteer moderators within a reasonable timespan when doing that. Just clicking the "abuse" flag or "spam" flag isn't the right method - nothing happens until there are 5 clicks on those. A flag/report should get moderator attention sooner.

One caveat: For a post to be removed, it has to violate the Community Guidelines. Sometimes posts are flagged because someone doesn't like the post for some reason, but it doesn't violate the rules. I suspect the one you're talking about did, likely section 1 or 2 from what you say, but I can't be sure.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/community-guidelines
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    If it's in Chit Chat or Fun and Games they're ridiculous forums in general in my opinion, and I have them "unfollowed" so I never see them - but you can't stop adults like your husband from participating in online banter/flirting/inappropriate interactions. (If that's what happened...)

I don't go in to those forums at all but other people really like them. To each their own, ya know?
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    If it's in Chit Chat or Fun and Games they're ridiculous forums in general in my opinion, and I have them "unfollowed" so I never see them - but you can't stop adults like your husband from participating in online banter/flirting/inappropriate interactions. (If that's what happened...)

I don't go in to those forums at all but other people really like them. To each their own, ya know?

Wait, how do you do that?!

Yes, OP, I'm not sure what posts you are referring to but my guess is that if they were reported and not removed, they didn't actually violate the guidelines. That doesn't make the situation not stink, though, and I hope you can work it out.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Wait, how do you do that?!

Yes, OP, I'm not sure what posts you are referring to but my guess is that if they were reported and not removed, they didn't actually violate the guidelines. That doesn't make the situation not stink, though, and I hope you can work it out.

On the web version go to the main "Categories" page, here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories

in the upper right corner of each subforum in the list on that page you'll see three dots. Clickety that and it will say, "Mark Read" and "Follow (or) Unfollow." If it says "Unfollow" click that and threads from that forum will disappear from the "Discussions" list - which is the only place I go in the forums, it's the most recent threads.

Alternately, you can click in to each individual forum, like "Chit Chat" and there is a bell icon in the upper right corner (NOT the one in the top title bar that takes you to your bookmarks and profile, but in the lower window, in the actual subforum) which will say Follow or Unfollow when you hover your cursor over it. You can click that and it will do the deed.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    At least it will be buried fairly quickly. I sometimes search what I remember as exact quotes and can’t retrieve the original thread or post.

If it’s something you’re “chewing” on, let it go. I’m sure I’ve said a shedload of truly stupid and rude things around here, but hey, that’s my personality. We read- and type- things with our own internal voice. It’s usually us that brings the rags to the bullfight.