Struggling to reach calorie count

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice as i don't want my calorie defecit to be too low!
I'm a 22 y/o female, currently 164 lbs, size 12UK, i'm not too bothered about the number on the scales but i want to fit back into some of my size 8UK clothes. I've recently started going to the gym, mostly weight training with some cardio. MFP says i should be eating 1800 cals, which i find difficult and am probably getting to about 1400, then if i burn 500 at the gym thats more to include!

An average day i will eat a slice of wholemeal toast with butter, satsuma, 2 boiled eggs with 2 slices cooked ham and lots of green veg, approx 14grams of popcorn, chicken stir fry or turkey mince chili with veg.

I'm quite fussy so don't tend to use sauces or if i do i'll make my own (e.g. chili). I'm also accurate with weights/amounts I'm consuming.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to push up my calories to they arent too low as i just find i'm too full to eat anymore!

I hope someone understands what i'm trying to get at and i haven't completely waffled.

Replies

• htinsley1
    htinsley1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem! I'm on a 1200 a day calorie count and generally end up around under the 1000 mark despite eating enough not to need to snack and like you I am very accurate about weights and measures, I just burn a lot. A tip I got recently is to add seeds (I use pumpkin and sunflower) which you could add to your toast in the morning or create snack bags with some seeds, almonds and cranberries. You could try adding hummus to your lunch for some additional calories. Smoothies are good if you substitute whatever you drink first thing in the morning for one of those instead and can make your own. What are you eating with your chilli? If you aren't into rice (I'm not) try adding in wholewheat giant couscous. Hope that helps!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You could always drink more calories, easy way to get more without feeling full
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you're objectively having trouble eating enough, you can try a couple things:
    - eat more often (if you add another meal of 400 cal outside of your normal eating schedule, or two snacks of 200cal each, you may be less full and still hit your goal)
    - eat a few low-satiety foods. Many of the things you listed were high in fiber and water. Maybe fruit or denser carbs.
    - peanut butter. :)

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

An average day i will eat a slice of wholemeal toast with butter, satsuma, 2 boiled eggs with 2 slices cooked ham and lots of green veg, approx 14grams of popcorn, chicken stir fry or turkey mince chili with veg.

2 pieces of toast, melted cheese .
    Banana instead of satsuma - add some nut butter
    Cook your vegies in oil, or add cheese. Eat starchy vegies rather than green ones.
    Nuts instead of popcorn.
    Use chicken thigh in your dinner, or fatty fish or other fattier meats. Add rice. Cook in oil.
  • laurenrogers4
    laurenrogers4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! The nuts/seeds is definitely something I can try and melted cheese!
    May sounds silly but I'm put off by textures, so things like PB and hummus gross me out. I tend to put cauli rice with a chili.

Because the weight I put on was content relationship binging weight. Snacks with a film, many meals out etc. I'd feel bloated and horrible, and also I can't afford the eating out side as much as before haha!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! The nuts/seeds is definitely something I can try and melted cheese!
    May sounds silly but I'm put off by textures, so things like PB and hummus gross me out. I tend to put cauli rice with a chili.

Because the weight I put on was content relationship binging weight. Snacks with a film, many meals out etc. I'd feel bloated and horrible, and also I can't afford the eating out side as much as before haha!

So... before the relationship, you were maintaining your weight? That also means you were eating more calories than is required for weight loss. Eat those same things, just a little less of them.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you are going for a specific macro count vs calorie count the options are different, but assuming calories only and based on your list of foods I'd suggest the following:

-Switch out the turkey to beef chili. Based on the number of calories you are looking for I'd go for at least the 20% fat if not the 27%.

-Add your favorite cheese to basically any of the listed meals (except stir-fry...cheesy stir-fry...yuck)

-Throwing a fried egg on top of your stir fry is an easy extra 80-100 calories on top of greatly enhancing the flavor. (I usually meal prep a dozen of these every week...they freeze ok, obviously much better fresh)

-Protein powder can be thrown in just about anything (depending on if it is flavored or not) to add some calories, or just make a shake out of it.

-You mentioned you are fussy with sauces, but you can make vinaigrettes as calorie packed as you want to top your veg, or can just sautee them in butter or oil.

...or my favorite way to just add calories to your day...beer. It is a horrible way to go about it as it gives pretty much no nutritional value, but if all you care about reaching a calorie # you can add some brews to your day.

Food for thought. ;)
  • laurenrogers4
    Options
    @try2again well i'd say before the relationship (3 years ago) i was underweight. I would eat alot of junk especially pizza but be really active, i couldnt drive so would walk everywhere and was constantly on my feet with my job.

Then i got in the relationship still eating junk but learned how to drive and got a sedentary job, so put on about 28lbs.

Now i find as im getting older i dont enjoy takeaway foods as much and would choose chicken and veg or something similar over fish and chips, and with starting back at the gym i'm just finding the calorie count too low.

I'm not saying I don't indulge now and again but day to day I'm struggling. I keep reading stories about peoples calories being too low then they binge and put the weight back on.
  • laurenrogers4
    Options
    @Scottgriesser Thank You!

I think as i'm pretty much just starting out its a bit of trial and error! I get too scared of having too many calories and end up not having enough! Also meal prep is another issue i need to address, i'm useless and have no idea of what you can store/how long for in the fridge/freezer :#

Haha, i'm not a beer drinker but i like an occasional disaronno so will have to look into that!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I keep reading stories about peoples calories being too low then they binge and put the weight back on.

Along with cutting calories too low, another binge trigger can be eliminating foods that a person enjoys. Only you know what you like, obviously, but don't be afraid to round out an otherwise healthy diet with a little "junk". Is there something you enjoy that you started avoiding in the interest of calorie savings (even just a latte or something?) Add it back in.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that meal prep/planning will make a huge difference for you. At least it did/does for me. Knowing exactly what you are going to be eating for the day (or days/week) will allow you to know if you need to add a little something along the way, or if you're going to need some extra time in the gym.

It may be different for you as you are struggling with adding calories to your diet vs me trying to cut down on the calories, but I'd think the benefits of knowing the plan for the day would go both ways.

Chili and stir-fry are 2 of my go to meal preps. So you already got that going for you. They both keep really well in the freezer. This week I went with a chicken curry over cauliflower rice. So far seems to have held up well.

• laurenrogers4
    Options
    @Scottgriesser A few weeks ago a cooked a chili, sweet potato and chickpea curry, and chicken with chorizo/veg. It was amazing, so much cheaper/easier, but i made my portions way too small for lunch time so still little cals.

I think finding some time to meal prep again and making sure im doing proper portions will help alot! Just work seems to get in the way of planning so i'll do easy veg and meat for just a few days :/

@try2again Yes I stopped drinking hot chocolates as I didn't realise how much calories I was drinking before! I hadn't even thought about those so this really helps!
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Allot a certain amount of calories per meal, and then meal plan to ensure you meet those smaller calorie goals. It takes planning and time, but the task is easy.
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Add olive oil, peanut butter, ground flax seed and avocado, and it will add up Hella fast.
  • calderonmario897
    calderonmario897 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    While losing weight do I absolutely have to reach my calorie goal? Sometimes I finish the day with calories remaining due to exercise or maybe just lack of sugars or carbs...if I have for example 1000 to reach do I have to eat 1000 exactly?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Mario, as a dude, I sincerely hope you pulled the 1,000 number out as a random number.

If you’re eating 1,000, I’ll be right over to give a mom slap or two or three.

But I’m guessing that’s what you did there. 🤞🏻
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    pretty sure he is talking about 1,000 cals remaining not a goal of 1,000. if your goal was 1,500 and you burned 800 from exercise, your goal is now 2,300. I would suggest you eat most of the cals but if you have 100-200 remaning no problem, as you may have over estimated your caloric burn or under estimated amount you ate anyway