Just starting!

Options
criscas307
criscas307 Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2023 in Getting Started
Trying to jugle working full time, kids and working out. I'm jumping in head first. Any advice would help! I'm tired by the time I get off work!

Replies

• elspectre
    elspectre Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1) It takes time, be patient with yourself. 2) It's not all about weight or a specific measurement, you'll feel better soon!
  • GinLee61
    GinLee61 Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Try to plan your meals for the week in advance then shop so that you have everything that you need on hand. Planning ahead, and prepping as much you can in advance, makes it easier to stay on track when you are tired at the end of the work day. When I was working I would cook several meals over the weekend and freeze them to have on hand for those days during the week when I knew I wouldn't feel like cooking. When I did feel like cooking during the week I made a double batch and froze half for later. The crockpot was definitely my friend. Those are some strategies that helped me to avoid fast food and take out. There are a lot of good, kid-friendly recipes on skinnytaste.com.

In terms of exercise, I have always had to fit it in early in the morning because I know I won't feel like it later in the day. I also find that I am more likely to exercise if I do it at home. I rely on many YouTube videos to get most of my exercise.

Be patient with yourself and tweak things as you go along and find what seems to work best for you. Good luck!
  • oceanblue32
    oceanblue32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I second planning ahead . I always have the same thing (or close to it ) for breakfast and lunch. It makes things a lot easier throughout the week and keeps me on track.

I work out as soon as I get home from work after having a cup of coffee to fuel me, (30 mins) and my kids are decompressing from school. Yes I’m tired but you will actually feel a burst of energy afterwards to finish the nighttime routine. Then I do the gym whenever I get the chance .

Planning ahead and just making the healthy choices become part of your daily routine is key! You can do it .
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    diet is more important than working out. But you can try fitting workouts in in the morning or lunch time.
  • Kaesetiger
    Kaesetiger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can't do work out at the moment due to back problems and my weight, but I try to fit in small extras like taking the stairs at the office rather than the elevator, use the lunch break to go for a brisk walk of 15 minutes (still leaves me 15 minutes for my lunch snack). Once the weather is fine, I can take my bike to the office, which gives me twice 35 minutes bycicling.
  • sunflower13148
    sunflower13148 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello!

How old are your kids? I have a 13 year old and we just joined the YMCA. She comes with me to work out and it is super healthy for her! I find it helps me stay active, she helps keep me motivated and I get to spend time with her!
  • creationscrown
    creationscrown Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. One small change at a time, master that then set up another. Make HEALTH your goal, not the number on a scale, and remember it's a marathon, not a sprint. Just try to do a tiny bit better each day and you will absolutely reach your goals! and finally, NEVER give up on yourself!!
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    At 5 months I’m down 46#. I try to eat only whole food, no processed, no sugar, no carbs other than fresh veg and the occasional fruit. I was insulin resistant. I shoot for 10 cups of daily veg, majority dark leafy greens. Keep protein to 60-90 grams, carbs under 50, fiber high as possible about 21, fat I let go to 100 grams’ish. I try to not drink alcohol, 10+ cups of water, green tea and detox tea. I do not do much exercise, but find that 20 minutes of YouTube aerobics every other day really leads to better weekly outcomes. I make 8 hours sleep a priority. Your plan for success should be all about evolution. Keep changing it up and experimenting until you find what works best for you. We are all different.
  • DaleSummers78
    DaleSummers78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    exercise doesn't have to be going to the gym. A good diet and going on walks in the evening will help a bunch. Take the kids with you, good for you, good for them.

Also they Intermittent Fasting, I love it. I've lost 50 pounds in 51 days as of this morning using it. I fast until noon for 2 days consuming around 1000 calories, and eat more calories on the third day (around 1600). The calorie intake may be on the extreme side, but its working.

• deankellham
    deankellham Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been making a fair bit of progress by just making small adjustments, and not all the time. If you try to commit to a whole new diet or exercise regime you'll end up feeling increased pressure and it'll only stress you out (which I can imagine is the last thing you need). I try to walk wherever possible - maybe taking the long way round to the shops. I'll only eat during the day if I actually feel hungry rather than out of habit. I'll try to make more sensible choices when it comes to what I eat - if I'm hungry do I really want a 300cal chocolate bar, or will a cereal bar or similar do the trick instead? If I'm out with friends, do I need to be drinking beer, or will a short work?

I do try to walk more - often going for a walk on my lunch break at work (which helps me get away from my desk anyway). I do try to do cardio and weights at home but I don't beat myself up if I don't find the time. I find it's just all about being better than you were, and the progress will come.
  • Rockymountainflyer
    Rockymountainflyer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Pack a lunch for work and some snacks for the car. Drink only water, black coffee and tea. Walk if you can.
  • mynameisnewmie
    mynameisnewmie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with another poster who said diet is more important than working out. Do make sure you get 30-60 minutes of walking in each day. No need to go to a gym to lose weight.