Powerlifting for Beginners

Options
Hi everyone! I'm looking to chat with people who are powerlifters or beginning their powerlifting journeys to get advice! I'd love to start powerlifting!

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,008 Member
    Options
    The number one rule about powerlifting is injury prevention. Beyond avoiding pain, simple truth is you can't lift if you're injured, so let's nip that in the bud from the beginning. How do we do this?
    • Learn to perform the lifts correctly - bodybuilders can get away with sloppier form when lifting 70% of their 1RM compared to powerlifters pushing 95%, so make sure your form is dialed in
    • Intelligent programming - powerlifting routines and schedules differ from bodybuilding, learn the differences
    • Joint protection - your muscles will adapt faster than the ligaments in your joints. Don't let ego push you to increase weights faster than your joints can improve (learned this lesson the hard way)

Also remember that while maximizing technique and mind-muscle neurological connection goes a long way towards upping the weights lifted, eventually you'll be faced with the simple fact you need more muscle in order to lift more. This falls into the programming note above, but you'll want to include some degree of bodybuilding during your journey.

Though I no longer pursue higher 1RM numbers (in large part from that lesson above), I still remember the thrill of knocking that new PR out of the park. I wish you health and enjoyment during your pursuit!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    The number one rule about powerlifting is injury prevention. Beyond avoiding pain, simple truth is you can't lift if you're injured, so let's nip that in the bud from the beginning. How do we do this?
    • Learn to perform the lifts correctly - bodybuilders can get away with sloppier form when lifting 70% of their 1RM compared to powerlifters pushing 95%, so make sure your form is dialed in
    • Intelligent programming - powerlifting routines and schedules differ from bodybuilding, learn the differences
    • Joint protection - your muscles will adapt faster than the ligaments in your joints. Don't let ego push you to increase weights faster than your joints can improve (learned this lesson the hard way)

Also remember that while maximizing technique and mind-muscle neurological connection goes a long way towards upping the weights lifted, eventually you'll be faced with the simple fact you need more muscle in order to lift more. This falls into the programming note above, but you'll want to include some degree of bodybuilding during your journey.

Though I no longer pursue higher 1RM numbers (in large part from that lesson above), I still remember the thrill of knocking that new PR out of the park. I wish you health and enjoyment during your pursuit!

There is nothing that prevents injury. According to current data, injuries happen on average for powerlifters 1-2 per year, yet injury is not defined so even that data is vague. One thing is certain according to well established evidence is we can lower injury risk by utilizing proper load management. Again this isn't preventing but lowering risk.

Form cannot be defined universally therefore doesn't exist. Also one doesn't get injured by a movement other than direct trauma. One gets injured by accumulated stress from improper load management over time. As we get closer to 1RM we expect more breakdown in technique. Some technique breakdown is invisible to the normal lifter, and obvious to those who are very experienced. What any lifter no matter experience level or goal should apply is to utilize appropriate intensities, volume, and frequency within well written programming.

A intelligent program for powerlifting will have both strength and hyperthrophy stimulus and many people will respond differently. The major difference is specificity of lifts as growing closer to a meet. We "might" expect higher intensities for powerlifters, but that simply is a given depending on the training block relative to a individual.

Joint issues is not a issue again with proper load management hopefully with autoregulation relative to the individual. We are probably stating the same thing on this specifically, but worded different.

The key to any training and goal(s) is proper load management. If one is adapted to a movement regardless if you feel a "form" is not dialed in, there is no evidence the risk of injury is higher. That is simple a misunderstanding of what is actually happening in 99.9% of the cases and a poison of the fitness industry leading to nocebo effects.

By no means am I trying to attack you, but bring up that current evidence states differently in some parts of your reply.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm looking to chat with people who are powerlifters or beginning their powerlifting journeys to get advice! I'd love to start powerlifting!

Train using proper load management with auto regulation. Find a meet/fed that fancies your availability and sign up. Much like what you are doing here, seek people with experience. I personally coach alot of lifters who are novel and beyond to powerlifting. It can be very intimidating for some, but it usually is very enjoyable experience if you are prepared on the majors of the sport compared to the minors early on.

One way to have a successful first meet is to educate yourself on the rules. Especially what is considered a good lift or not and practice adhering to the rules for certain lifts with that specificity as you train. If you fail to know the rules of your fed when you do compete, chances are your experience will be more confusing and less enjoyable.

Example. One of your bench movements in training should include a competition pause along with singles of appropriate intensities. Performing the lift within the rules of the federation you plan on competing in, On bench currently the USAPL requires flat feet while the USPA doesn't. So you adjust accordingly if needed.

If you have any questions, keep in touch.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    Do you have any weight training experience?

The best advice is get a good coach that teaches powerlifting and not just a basic personal trainer. Form and programming is paramount for safety.