So how much is REALLY water weight?

Options
Whenever someone has lost 3-10 lbs in a week, there's always a line of people waiting to tell them "don't get too excited-it's just water weight". Well my question is- no matter how fast or slow you lose isn't the first several lbs ALWAYS water weight? Also for arguments sake since our bodies are mostly water and fat is made up primarily of water isn't it all just "water weight"? I'm also wondering, how much "water weight" one has to lose before they start burning up fat? I would think that the average person carries around 10-15 lbs of water weight that would need to lose before any real fat loss comes in to play. Any other thoughts on this?

Replies

• jbudge1
    jbudge1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how much is water weight, however I will tell you this. I weigh up to 4 lbs less when I come back from a 3 mile run. I have tested this many times. So there is some definite water weight there.
  • redhead91
    Options
    I can't tell you how much is water weight, however I will tell you this. I weigh up to 4 lbs less when I come back from a 3 mile run. I have tested this many times. So there is some definite water weight there.

I also weigh less after a workout so I would think everyone has water weight and people need to not be so crazy about water loss vs. fat loss.
  • Geordie_Girl
    Geordie_Girl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion, if you've just started a diet (in fact, even if you haven't just started) and have lost 3, 4, 10lb in the first week, who cares whether it's retained water? It's weight that's gone, and that's a good thing!
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion, if you've just started a diet (in fact, even if you haven't just started) and have lost 3, 4, 10lb in the first week, who cares whether it's retained water? It's weight that's gone, and that's a good thing!

Amen!
  • redhead91
    Options

I totally agree. I guess I just don't like when people are negative and telling them it's a bad thing! I'm all smiles today cause I'm 5 lbs less than I was last week and no one can tell me it "doesn't matter"!
  • lfinley2010
    lfinley2010 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    water or not its gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options