Maintaining after weight loss

Options
Buckeyebabe7l7
Buckeyebabe7l7 Posts: 593 Member
edited March 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have lost over 100 lbs a couple of times. I am doing it again. When my switch is on for weight loss it is on and I will succeed. I have little doubt I will do it again. That is the blessing of my personality and a curse.

Anyway, what should I do when I reach my goal weight? Goals are highly motivational for me. I want this time to stick. I feel like I need a goal to keep me focused....what do you think? I feel like when I reach my goal weight there are no goals. Can you help?

Thanks. I really want to succeed at losing and maintaining this time.

I never know where to place these posts...maybe in maintaining...but I am losing and I want to know now some ideas for what I can do now to make sure it's a permanent mindset.

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Do you have a kind of exercise you like to do? Or another activity? I like to run, so improving my pace, or going a longer distance than I have previously, is a fun goal to set. I also have a list of hikes I'd like to do, which is more of a "bucket list" type thing but it's much easier to go hiking when I'm not overweight. I have a lot of fitness related goals, but only one is a scale number. Some of them I discovered after I began losing weight. Some aren't just exercise-related, but also learning to cook new things or reaching other nutritional goals (e.g. protein or fiber).

Do you do any kind of data collection on yourself besides weigh ins? Do you keep weighing after reaching your goal? Some people have a range they'll accept but once they hit the upper limit, it's time to get focused again and get the scale moving the other way.

Are you eating in a way that feels awful, but you'll put up with it because it's temporary? If so, it might work better to find a way you're willing to eat for the rest of your life.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    TBH, I don't understand why "keep body weight within +/- X pounds of Y weight" can't be a goal. That makes me, also, wonder whether you're trying to live within unsustainable restrictions. To me, the magic is finding relatively happy ways to eat and move (daily life and intentional exercise) that can continue nearly on autopilot forever, to stay in a healthy range.

Personally, I think of myself as not goal oriented. But when I'm honest with myself, I know that calorie and nutrition goals do matter to me - I absolutely do manage to certain goals there (in my case, calories on average, minimum grams of protein, minimum grans of fats, minimum servings of varied, colorful veggies/fruits). Also, there are certain baseline levels of activity I know I need to stay close to, in order to feel even remotely adequate (physically, energetically and mood-wise) . . . those are probably goals, too. For sure, I manage with a view to scale weight and (even more so) not needing to buy new clothes (because I hate hate hate to clothes shop).

And sure, yeah, for some people, fitness goals, athletic accomplishment goals, body composition goals (fat vs. muscle), cuteness goals, whatever. Those aren't wrong, they just aren't at my core, personally. But a person for sure could formulate goals in those realms, and I think those are fine (if you're not me, and I'm pretty sure you aren't).

Maintenance is different - we don't get that reward of the scale drop. I don't see how there can't be goals, though. Can you clarify why that seems so, to you?
  • DeliciousDeficit
    DeliciousDeficit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your next challenge is to eat at maintenance calories. There is an amount of calories that you can eat to maintain the weight you are at now and the weight you will be. To maintain that weight practice eating calories in that amount. Also, consider a phasic approach to weight loss. First phase maintenance for a bit, then fat loss for a couple of months, diet break, fat loss etc. Also, slow down, if you are losing and gaining that much, that often, it's not sustainable. Good luck! You got this!!
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    We have a Maintenance section with some fantastic information. I've been in Maintenance for 2 months. Quite a bit of trial and error. I'm still figuring it all out to be honest.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ann that the goal of staying within the five pound window can work. That means I have to weigh myself often. In past efforts to lose weight, I would stop weighing when my eating was getting out of control. I played ostritch, sticking my head in the sand. When months go by without checking, it is very easy to find yourself a whole lot heavier.

The other part, of me, was finding an activity I like a lot that allows me more flexibility in what I eat. I run 30-35 miles a week and walk another 20 or so with the dog. That gives me short term goals that satisfy the need to have a goal. It also means I am not as restricted in calories as I would be if I were less active. OTOH, it has also meant that I still don't have the best eating habits.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    i like continuing to count calories at maintenance. allows me to keep feeling successful.
  • Buckeyebabe7l7
    Buckeyebabe7l7 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I will definitely be looking into the maintaining section here. I do love to walk and I like the trail goals idea. I also like to swim and we have a pool. So I could work on goals swimming in the summer.

I like the reminder that it is trial and error! :)