Can't Stop NIght Snacking

Options
2»

Replies

• vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I plan my snacks. Fudgesicles, sugar free jello, Good Thins crackers with skinny cow cheese are all good low calorie options. Then I keep my hands busy with crocheting or puzzles while I watch tv as that is prime time for boredom eating.
  • FollyChica
    FollyChica Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always reserve my last few macros for my 9pm snack. I like either a 38 cal Smartcake, or some sugar Free jello mixed with half a ratio protein yogurt like a parfait, or I make sugar free pudding with unsweetened almond milk and add protein powder to it to make something that tastes good and also has some benefits. If I don't plan for it, I panic and start reaching for things and can throw off my whole day.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Same here. I fast all day just so i can eat a big meal at night and a bowl of cereal or bowl of frozen grapes and mango chunks before bed. Solved ever going over daily calories.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I’m a big fan of eating less in the mornings, so that I can have larger portions or more snacks at night.

With that said, it is also okay to experience a little discomfort if you don’t have any room left. Acknowledge the thought “my mind is telling me that I want to eat right now, but I know that I am not feeling hungry.” Sit with it. Be gentle and kind. Read. Knit. Go to bed. Allow yourself to continue the rest of your routine with that discomfort. Over time, your mind will shift to other thoughts.
  • cwgrant67
    cwgrant67 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I make sure to drink lots of water, eat lots of protein and fat within my calorie goal. I try to limit carbs because they make me more snacky. I also track my calories every day and if I don’t have it left I don’t eat it except for the rare times in the weekend I am having a treat.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I learned that drinking broth massively helps with this.

I just warm up some beef broth, (1 cup) add some garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, a smidge of Worcestershire. Sip and cravings are gone.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »

I just warm up some beef broth, (1 cup) add some garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, a smidge of Worcestershire. Sip and cravings are gone.

I'm a vegetarian, but along the same lines I like to make a chai herbal tea (Bengal spice) and sprinkle in ground/zested ginger root, cinnamon, cumin, masala and hot sauce w/ a pinch of stevia. Weird I guess, but it works for me. Especially delicious mid afternoon.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,481 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

I'm a vegetarian, but along the same lines I like to make a chai herbal tea (Bengal spice) and sprinkle in ground/zested ginger root, cinnamon, cumin, masala and hot sauce w/ a pinch of stevia. Weird I guess, but it works for me. Especially delicious mid afternoon.

Trader Joe’s sells shredded Dorot brand frozen shredded ginger cubes that are great for quick use
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

Trader Joe’s sells shredded Dorot brand frozen shredded ginger cubes that are great for quick use

Thanks. I don't have access to a TJ's, but would be easy to make my own too. Great tip
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    ISo I have to make hard rules for myself. I’m kind of an all-or-nothing person, I guess. Not good with moderation, lol.

I've been trying this recently too.

For me a buddy gave me advice recently that I liked. He said to accomplish something "just put a little structure into, and keep working at it."

I think it might be a key for me.