Starting

Options
Hi I'm new and I'm struggling to loose weight can someone explain fitness pal to me please and how to work it

Replies

• LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You put in all your details. Name age, how active you are, how much you weight, how much you want to weigh and how much you want to lose a week xxxlbs or xxxkgs.

MFp will give you calories for the day based on above information.

Each day try to eat those carlories_its a little difficult to start until your body adjusts to fewer calories-weigh yourself at daily/weekly or monthly intervals_your choice
    If you have eaten said calories you should of lost weight.

Loads if info on the community and lots of people to answer questions.

Good luck
  • Loved982030180180274
    Options
    Hi, the last post is wonderful and explained a lot. I wanted to point something out that a friend of mine said after using the app for a few months. She was overweight for her whole life till then late 30's, 11 years latershe has maintaineda healthylifestyle. With this app if you exercise you can eat more. It is one of my favorite parts. The healthier choices in foods fruit, veggies, protein, healthy fats (nuts, avicodo) will help you eat more but with better results. The best part of MFP is you can eat anything.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    As the above user has noted --- when you log a cardio workout in MFP, it will add those calories back to your daily goal. This is one thing that I see often, users are super confused about. It's bc when you use the guided set up with MFP and you say you want to lose weight - the calorie goal it gives you is already at a deficit from your maintenance calories. So, with NO intentional workout...you are in a deficit already. If you then workout and burn calories on top of that you could possible create too high of a deficit (MFP goes by NET calories...so if your NET calories intake is too low --- it's just not gonna workout for you).

So...I always try to impress upon people that you SHOULD eat back those calories. You don't need to eat all of them - especially if you truly don't think you're hungry but you can lose weight eating back 100% of them. I did. But at least eat back 50%-100%. You have some wiggle room there, likely.

Don't choose too high of a weight loss rate --- TONS of ppl want to lose 2lbs/week and of course they do - but that means you have to cut out 1000 calories from each day which simply isn't possible for many ppl.

Slow and steady. I had a deficit of ~200-300 calories per day and lost ~.8lbs per week over the course of ~9 months.