im 239lbs and i need advice

Options
ok so the biggest parts of my body is my stomach and arms, everything else i dont need to work on. since im still pretty big i need to know if i should do sit ups right now or just do nothing but cardio until i have extra skin. if i do need to work my arms and stomach now, do u guys have any particular excercises that i should be doing..... and if i should wait to work on my stomach, how many more pounds should i lose until i start?

Replies

• irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm heavier than you are, and my wellness coach at the gym started me on ab exercises right away, so I wouldn't wait. He did want me to wait 5 weeks, and just do cardio ( to get into the routine) before starting on strength training, but I don't see any real reason you should wait.
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You need to do what is most comfortable to you right now. If you're not use to exercising ever, than take it slow and just start with cardio. Once you have built up some strength and are use to exercise, then a strength routine is very crucial to any plan. Building muscle allows us to burn more calories (plus we just look good :tongue: ). I would get some videos or look up ab exercises on youtube. Planks are the best, because they work the entire core.

Good Luck!
  • chicainthesd
    chicainthesd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thank you :) im actually able to do sit ups without breaking a sweat, so i guess i could try planks... my sister told me about that...
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    it'll be important to work your core definitely. It's supports pretty much everything else you do. As far as other areas of your body? Everything, especially your legs. our legs are generally stronger and muscle development there will burn a fair bit of fat. Don't neglect your upper body, though.

And don't worry if you're not losing inches in the places you want to, there's nothing you can really do about that. Your body will use whatever fat for energy that it wants to.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Start everything right off the bat. I had a trainer at 278lbs and he started right away with planks, squats, lunges, and weights, while I did my own cardio. Granted I can do a lot more now 55 pounds lighter, but unless you have an injury, weight is no reason to not do any of that other stuff. Good luck!!