Treat Meal- a do or don't?

Options
So, once every 3-4 weeks I have a treat meal where I certainly don't count calories. Last time I had a Nandos chicken burger, chips and garlic bread and I'm headed out for a pub meal tonight (most likely cheeseburger and chips)

Does anyone else do this? I feel really guilty but then sometimes I just need chips and mayo. i normally eat around 1000 calories a day, well under what I'm allowed. Argh, anyone else obsess as much as I do? Haha.

Also, UK people, feel free to add me :)

Replies

• carey1932
    carey1932 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! It's part of life.
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    Yes! I have managed to lose while doing this 1x/week. For me it's a way to still feel social but I make sure to only do it when I "need" to, like family gatherings/dinner out with friends.

Just like we didn't put the weight on overnight.. you won't gain it all back and undo all your work from ONE meal! As long as we get right back on track after the treat meal, you will do just fine! It's all about balance :)
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just did this. Huge burger from this wicked good brewery down the street from me. I'm just not counting today, but I'll be back to my counting tomorrow. For some reason, a treat meal tends to help my weight loss, too. Maybe it jolts my metabolism or something.
  • Ann_Marie_76
    Ann_Marie_76 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! I actually do this once a week. Don't fee guilty. One meal isn't going to ruin all the hard work you put in during the rest of the week!
  • aksingingbreeze
    aksingingbreeze Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do! I wanted this diet to be a life change that I would stick with for the rest of my life. So, I allow myself to eat chocolate or some other desert when I want as long as I stay under my calorie allotment and once a week, I allow myself a "free day." I generally only use it every couple weeks and I almost always make sure that I am under my allotment for the week, doesn't always happen, but I don't stress about it!
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I obsess about it, too. And, I do have "treat" meals about once a week. I feel guilty then I realized that either I didn't gain weight or, if I do gain weight, it is quickly lost. SO, I keep telling myself not to panic about going over my calories for one day. It's a waste of energy to worry about it, but I can't stop. Sometimes, I will feel so guilty, I will be working out at 10 or 11 at night trying to counter the bad meal I had. Ugghhhh.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Its perfectly fine to do this 1x/week. There is a lot of info on cheat meals online. Keeps your body guessing, from what i read
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I eat a cheat meal once a week, especially if i'm under cals every day of the week...

only 1000 cal per day? - I think that will decrease metabolism and sabotage your weight loss, but thats only my opinion:smile:
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I just did this. Huge burger from this wicked good brewery down the street from me. I'm just not counting today, but I'll be back to my counting tomorrow. For some reason, a treat meal tends to help my weight loss, too. Maybe it jolts my metabolism or something.

It may even be beneficial to track the calories on a cheat day, or cheat meal just to scare ourselves into not doing it very often...ha ha
  • maryannmiclat
    maryannmiclat Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yep! My weakness is crumbs bakery cupcakes. Once a month my husband and I have a date night and we top it off with a crumbs cupcake. I don't feel guilty at all because we're sharing it and I'm usually under my calories everyday of the week,
  • summergreen487
    summergreen487 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Keep doing it. As long as you are continuing to lose weight on a week to week basis it is just fine.
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There is certainly nothing wrong with treating yourself once in a while. Some people suggest doing it once a week, but I think about once every 3wk-1month is the best ratio. Knowing you have a treat coming up helps keep you focused on the healthy foods you're eating in the meantime. Otherwise you just feel like you're depriving yourself of things and end up giving up and going back to your old habits.

BUT I would still count the calories and log it on MFP. There is no shame in having something like that on your food diary. It's there for you to know what you've eaten and when you've eaten it. For your reference so you know that you did it. Hiding it away and acting like it didn't happen makes it seem like you've done something wrong and negatively effected your weight loss, when you haven't. It also makes you realize just how many calories are in that sort of food and give you even more encouragement to stay away from it for the majority of the time.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I heard it put to like this...

If you were to eat unhealthy, high calorie food ALL THE TIME, but ate ONE healthy meal a day.. would you lose weight?

Of course not. The opposite must (and is) also be true... that if you're eating healthy food all the time.. ONE "bad" meal a week or every few weeks is not going to sabotage your weight loss efforts.

So yeah, I "cheat" about once a week or once every two weeks.. and no, I don't feel guilty about it. I see it as an evolution in my belief in myself. I am at the point where I trust myself enough to eat that one naughty meal as a "break" or reward, then get right back to my healthy eating the next day. And it's a great place to be. So don't feel guilty!

God bless!
  • size_14
    Options
    Thanks for this, everyone :) Ahh, I've learned tonight not to be obsessive.

I wanted a burger but, funnily enough, the pub had run out! I went for a grilled cajun chicken breast, chips and onion rings and was still under my daily target :)