Off to a slow start...actually still at starting gate

Options
So I am frustrated. I use to always be able to drop weight pretty quickly before I turned 30. Well those days are long gone! I am getting married in June and unfortunately have left myself go some...I have one pair of jeans that still fit and I haven't washed those in 3 weeks for fear they won't get back on...gross but true! it's no wonder I have gained weight steadily...if I wanted it, I ate it. Pizza, Mexican, Cookies...No exercise either. None
So for two weeks I have been working out at the gym. I have been walking on the treadmill for at least two miles and then trying to do the stationairy bike for another 2. I have been going 4 times a week. I started the couch to 5K program and today finished my last day of the first week.
I also have been eating very healthy. Slim fast for breakfast, lean cusine for lunch, granola bar for snack (less than 200 cals) and for dinner another lean cusines or grilled chicken and a small salad..everything lite. Maybe some jello or cereal after dinner to try to curb my late night sweet tooth. I have been eating roughly 1200 calories a day.
The problem is I haven't lost one pound. Not one. How is that possible? I have cut my calories and fat to a healthy level where as before I was eating whatever whenever. I also have started going to the gym and gotten at least 35 minutes of cardio in...Where am I going wrong? Any ideas on what to do to jumpstart my progress? I know I can't get where I want overnight but I haven't lost anything! Any thought???

Replies

• victoria13
    Options
    So I am frustrated. I use to always be able to drop weight pretty quickly before I turned 30. Well those days are long gone! I am getting married in June and unfortunately have left myself go some...I have one pair of jeans that still fit and I haven't washed those in 3 weeks for fear they won't get back on...gross but true! it's no wonder I have gained weight steadily...if I wanted it, I ate it. Pizza, Mexican, Cookies...No exercise either. None
    So for two weeks I have been working out at the gym. I have been walking on the treadmill for at least two miles and then trying to do the stationairy bike for another 2. I have been going 4 times a week. I started the couch to 5K program and today finished my last day of the first week.
    I also have been eating very healthy. Slim fast for breakfast, lean cusine for lunch, granola bar for snack (less than 200 cals) and for dinner another lean cusines or grilled chicken and a small salad..everything lite. Maybe some jello or cereal after dinner to try to curb my late night sweet tooth. I have been eating roughly 1200 calories a day.
    The problem is I haven't lost one pound. Not one. How is that possible? I have cut my calories and fat to a healthy level where as before I was eating whatever whenever. I also have started going to the gym and gotten at least 35 minutes of cardio in...Where am I going wrong? Any ideas on what to do to jumpstart my progress? I know I can't get where I want overnight but I haven't lost anything! Any thought???
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    For starters.....
    are you sitting down?
    Good. You are probably not eatting enough. Your body thinks it is starving and is holding on very tightly to every fat molecule it can. Your bady things you are working so had to provide food for it and THIS is all you got???
    Remember your body hasn't evolved far from the hunter/gather stage
    Log all of your meals and you will find you probably need to add 400 calories,
    If you read some of the other postings you will see that for many people, they start loing weight as soon as they eat all of the calories that the site suggests.
    I am eatting all day long and I have been losing at least a pound a week since I started.
    Best of luck
    we're behind you all the way
  • kklpnltc
    kklpnltc Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't have any answer for you but if it makes you feel any better....I am having the same problem. Went from eating whatever I wanted to eating 1200 to 1600 calories a day and doing 30 min of cardio three times a week with strength training and some weight training the other days. Although I have lost inches I haven't lost a pound...not one. It's hard not to get discouraged. I just make daily adjustments....have upped my days of cardio and hope for the best :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Just a little BUMP in the seat to start your monday.
  • nerveracker
    Options
    I'm going to throw in a couple links here too.. These may answer some of your questions, also may give you some insight. And NEVER EVER trust the scales they lie and they're EVIL satan spawn!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/44278-repairing-your-broken-furnace-metabolism

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/44574-scales-who-needs-them

Especially for all you that are working so hard on your fitness/exercise and that scale just won't budge. Please read the Scales post. For everybody that is counting calories, carbs, fats, proteins .. ok everybody here the first link is JUST FOR YOU!
  • lenahofman
    lenahofman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    its a fact, you lose inches before fat! i've lost only 5 pounds in the last 6 months but i've dropped 3 pants sizes
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    have you gone to your doctor and got the clearance to start a weight loss program? do they have any helpful suggestions for you?
  • tazlady
    tazlady Posts: 60
    Options
    you need to get into a routine. From time you wake until you go to bed at night. Get up the same time and set an alarm to get you to go to bed at night. Most of my weight loss seems to happen over night when i sleep. I go to bed at one weight and see a 3 - 4 lb drop by the time the am hits (before i hit the bathroom) stay hydrated and watch your sodium intake. Dr oz is great too. try a little at time. I am a sweet tooth monkey too and have tried subbing apples bananas etc but it never works. Give your sweet tooth what it wants but in moderation. finally if you have not lost a lb look at it this way. You have not gained a lb either. Muscle weighs more then fat and it will take your body a few weeks to start to process the fat out of your body so you can see the muscle you created. Good luck.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    Just a little FYI.....this thread is three years old....I don't think the original poster is still here looking for answers.....:ohwell:
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Just a little FYI.....this thread is three years old....I don't think the original poster is still here looking for answers.....:ohwell:

Maybe so but I sure found it informative!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options

Maybe so but I sure found it informative!
    Me too!

My experience (and, I have YEARS of it) has always been that the less I eat, the more I weigh.

I "dieted" myself up 30lbs one year, when I was trying "TOPS" as a weight loss plan. Yup, 30lbs in one year, by eating a 1,000 calorie diet and exercising. I was being "very, very careful" the whole time. Yeah. I want to give those pounds back to TOPS, btw.
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed reading this. Thanks for adding to it :-)

I wonder how the original poster is doing though?