CONFUSED

Options
Hi everyone,

I need a bit of guidance, I started my diet and exercise journey on 8-22-11 and have been very successful at shedding lbs. 17 as of Monday :). My problem is the calories that I am eating and the calories I am burning. Many people say my calories are to low and I should be eating back my calories which I dont understand. I am obese. 321 lbs. I imagine that is why I am loosing lbs every week. I want to feel good about what I am doing, and I just feel concerned. any suggestions???

Replies

• JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The calories that you are allowed to eat every day are those set by your weight, activity level, and weight loss goal (lbs per week) PLUS any calories that you burn from exercise. SO,

daily need + burned = how much you can eat. This is to loose the amount you told the site you wanted to loose per week.

I don't eat back all of my burned calories. With some of the exercises, I believe what comes up when I log in the exercise, is excessively high.

I would suggest if you are really concerned if you are eating enough, call you doc and talk to him/her. Use this "limit" only as a rough guide.
  • theprices
    theprices Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Try to read up on 'starvation mode'. MFP has your goals in mind when setting your calorie requirment for the day. It has you at a deficit, with losing weight in mind. If you are not achieving that goal of calories (or close to it), then you are not giving your body the fuel it needs to LIVE, much less burn calories or give you energy to exercise.

I would suggest that you eat to fuel your body, eat the right foods, and more of them!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Looking back a couple of days you ate under 1200. One day you ate under 600 calories. You aren't eating nearly enough. I don't believe in "eating back" exercise calories but that's because I find that eating near my BMR works for me especially on days I don't workout. You need to eat more than 1200 calories every day and you are really damaging your metabolism by eating under 600.
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I believe I am eating pretty good, I eat my 3 meals a day a snack or two, plenty of water and exercise...I really dont feel hungry most times, once in a while I do but eating a snack usually make it better..thanks for the input I will keep that in mind and look more closely at my calorie intake
  • LycosNyctereutes
    Options
    If you are getting stronger with your workouts (they're getting easier and not making you feel drained and crappy) then you should not worry about it. If you are having muscle cramps and find that you are unable to workout more now than when you started, you probably should increase your intake. The thing is, there is a difference between how low a very overweight person can go on calories, versus a healthy or less overweight person. Basically, if you feel good, you can feel good about what you're doing, IMO.
    edit: <800 calories is proven to cause muscle wasting. I have been at 1200 (+/- 100) for over a month and am going well.
  • Navallez
    Options
    Lycos...this is very true.. I have been doing Zumba and walking everyday in addition to my 30 minute daily workout and this week I was able to add another lap in my walking with no problem and my daughter said to me wow mom I saw you kicking those legs up high in your zumba workout..I notices I didnt get as winded.. I feel awesome...
  • Navallez
    Options
    UCMP that is why I am confused...I eat the calories but with my exercise it goes way down.... ugh this is confusing...everytime I exercise MFP adds more calories...
  • catlover98611
    catlover98611 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think most people cut food and calories to lose weight and it happens in reverse. In Nov I joined a group that supplied a food plan and I was 170. Now that I am 101-103, they have about doubled my food intake and calories. Doesn't make sense does it --but it works. My metabolism must have changed because I can actually feel my body using the calories as I eat them and I know when I drop even half a pound, when I gain, and when I am likely to stay the same. WEIRD.....
  • Navallez
    Options
    thanks for the info