Maintaince- Still tracking calories?

Options
I'm just wondering myself, I've lost almost 70lbs, still have anywhere from 25-35lbs before making that final choice. I know it's a good habit to keep logging, but still wondering. Do you still track?

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I track sporadically. I am pretty good at knowing what I'm putting in my body at this point, but I will track if I'm not sure of something and also to make sure I'm staying on track.
  • ndswimchick22
    ndswimchick22 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance since May...I'm slowly trying to ween myself off this. But now really I just log what I eat when I get home at night to see if I fell within my goal for the day. Helps me with my calculations.
  • richfaber
    richfaber Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I plan to track for the rest of my life, like I plan to watch a speedometer when I drive.
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    I would DEFINITELY still track. It'll keep away that weight creep, especially around the holidays!
  • NicoleMarie0409
    Options
    I still track.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i have been maintaining for about 6-8 weeks, and am still working on pin pointing a good number of calories, so will still be logging for a while.

i might not always log every day, but i think MFP will be part of my life for a good while yet!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Yes, but not as religiously as I do when i'm actively trying to lose weight.
  • sidddiq
    Options
    I always keep a track of what ever i eat. Even on cheat days or on social gatherings in this way i know how much work i have to do at the gym on the following day and also how to eat during the week to lose that extra fat that comes from cheating.

2942963.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    i dont necessarily need to track.. because i almost know exactly how many calories is in what i eat each day but i know i will still track for the rest of my life :) i enjoy it
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    This may sound a bit 'extreme' but losing weight is the 'easy' part.... the maint is the real challenge, so I intend to keep logging until I've been at my GOAL weight for a year.... but that's just me.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    As of right now, I am thinking that when that time comes, I will still track. I would hate to gain weight back after I had worked so hard to lose it.
  • vbowman_morris
    vbowman_morris Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't because I know what nutrients by body needs already and which foods give me those nutrients so since I eat pretty much the same foods, I dont bother. I dont worry so much about how many calories I take in, I just make sure I eat clean and get all the nutrition my body calls for. I exercise for an hour a day 5 days a week and just make sure I eat 5-6 clean meals a day by following my meal plan that I plan weekly. It works for me. I am still losing :)
  • sevakraj
    sevakraj Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I really liked your line - "Every choice you make about what you will put in your body and how you will move your body will either put you one step closer to good health of one step further away".

Thanks for sharing!

Raj
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yes. I still track my calories and fats, sugars, proteins, carbs and fiber. In November, I will have been on maintenance for a full year. My maintenance range is 132-137. Most of us have a range, rather than 1 specific number. I rarely go over on calories but I often go over on fats and/or sugar grams. This is a huge learning process. It is a lifetime challenge for many of us and it takes a lot of planning and concentration to reach my protein and fiber and calorie goals each day without going over in the other areas.

Yes, weight can creep back on around the Holidays and/or vacations, special occasions, etc. It can start to drop to unhealthy levels at any time.

I would advise you to track for a full year after you have reached your goal. Perhaps you can ease up a bit (not enter every gram of ketchup, every piece of gum, every M&M, etc.), but be 100% sure you are staying in your range.

You are doing very well. Do whatever you can to maintain your goal weight once you've gotten there!
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    I'm really just starting (30 days today), but I already know I will do this for the rest of my life (hopefully MFP will be around that long...heck, hopefully I'm around that long). I've tried dieting before but its never quite worked because I couldn't find balance. Now that I can track it in real time (thanks to iPhone app), I feel, for once, I can actually change my lifestyle permanently.

Binge eating has always been an issue but the thought of entering the cals in the app pretty much talks me right out of it, now. Already I noticed it on two occasions. I went to wedding a couple of weeks ago and I looked up the kind of stuff I knew I would eat. I realized I need to hit the gym earlier that day (I also skipped the bread at the reception...I never did that before!). The other time was traveling for work (which I do a lot). I would have blown out my calorie count without that app.

If I stop using this thing...it wont take me long to regress. Now...ask me again when I hit my goal next year... ;-)
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Even when on maintenance I was tracking, now I don't feel its necessary. I supposed its up to you, as long as you can handle the amount of food you are putting into your body.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm still actively losing, but my plan is to track calories everyday for a year. Once I've done it for a year my plan is to track one week per month or if I start to gain weight because I still plan to weight myself everyday.
  • cindiy4
    Options
    I've lost 54lbs. since the first of the year. I would still like to lose a few more pounds. I pretty well know what I can and can't eat and have not been tracking. I may decide to if I can't get these last few pounds off.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    I plan to track for the rest of my life, like I plan to watch a speedometer when I drive.

That^