4 foot barbell - bad idea?

Options
I’m a 46 yo female non athlete looking to gain some strength with weights.

I do not have room at home for a bench, and getting to a gym is difficult. I was thinking of getting a barbell to do barbell rows, overhead presses, and curls. Maybe deadlifts if it goes well and I buy more plates.

Is there any reason I can’t just get a 4 foot bar? Really? I’m short, I’m not doing Crossfit or registering for powerlifting competitions, I want to store the bar under the bed, there’s no rack.

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Get some dumbells instead. You’ll need a few. Most likely 10’s, 12’s, 15’s, 20’s to start.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I think you'd be better off with a set of adjustable dumbbells too. Way more options that route, and they're quick and easy to change the weight. Check the Garage Gym Reviews YT channel for comprehensive reviews of many brands. If price is an issue you can get loadable dumbbells instead and buy whatever plates you need separately, but they take much longer to change the weight between sets and exercises. The benefit is you can reuse those plates if you later buy a barbell.

You would benefit a lot from having a bench too. Amazon sells one that folds up. Others are capable of being stored vertically.

If you do want a short bar, consider an ez-bar. Great for curls and skullcrushers with the angled parts closer to the center, and you can use the straight parts near the edges for rows and presses. But as I said, way fewer options that route than db's.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Shorter barbell is fine, can be helpful in the home setting especially, where we have less room. Dumbbells are good, too: It's just a question of budget, space, inclination.

With a bar (short or long) and plates, you have flexibility in weight, but you'll want different weight for different exercises, and changing plate load (even with clips) can be annoying. Fixed-weight dumbbells are pick 'em up and go, but you need multiples ($$) over time especially. (You can get dumbbell sized bars, too, if helpful - but you're still changing plates per exercise.) TBH, even though I have dumbbell bars and graded plates, I use my fixed-weight dumbbells more often (easy!).

If you choose fixed weight dumbbells, I see from your profile that you're female, like me. If you're a true beginner, Tom's recommendation of 10lb and up could be aggressive (varies with starting strength). I have 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 (so far - plus some bars, plates, kettlebells . . . ).

With fixed-weight dumbbells, cost adds up, also storage space. Nonetheless, for me, the finer weight gradations are useful for some smaller/weaker muscle groups to start, and gradations are easy with plates (but there's the time to switch between lift types). There are for sure things I could not do (could not have done to start) with 10lb dumbbells as my low end. You may be stronger, to start, but you can figure this out at one of the big box retailers or a gym pretty quickly. The smaller plates can be helpful with progression even later, but the very light dumbbells may lose usefulness as you keep up a consistent schedule.

Whatever choice (bars vs. dumbbells or kettlebells), post-pandemic, buying used can potentially save you some money, if you're doing this at home.

Short bar or long bar is NBD, just a little different bar weight.
  • achefling
    achefling Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The only limitation with a 4’ bar would be squats. I’m not sure you could find a squat rack that small. I would suggest getting an Olympic bar. I made the mistake of getting a standard bar then couldn’t find 45# weights when I progressed with deadlifts and this happens fairly quickly.

Another consideration would be kettlebells. They are great conditioning tools and an all over body workout in a short amount of time. Check out some of Mark Wildman videos on YouTube.

Whatever you decide, you are headed in the right direction. I’ve made a spare bedroom into my workout room once my son left home. Best gift I’ve given myself!
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I’d go for adjustable dumbbells If space to store is limited. I have a set of power blocks that saw me through lockdown. I’ve heard good things about bow flex adjustable dumbbells as well.
    Nothing wrong with a smaller bar it’s just limiting with how much weight you can add. Plus plates obviously take up space too
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I’m going to go against the grain of most other people here (all of whom are experienced athletes and I respect them) and say go for the short bar! Ultimately if you wanted to get other kit, like a squat rack, it might prove difficult so just sell it and get a full length. Shorter length, if that’s what you can store, will be fine for the exercises you mention. I hate dumbbells. I’ve got them, I use them when I need to and I fully appreciate how good they are for ensuring good technique. But if you want a short bar, and you’re not lifting loads, go for it. You can upgrade at a later date if you love it, get more room and want tonnes of kit 👍
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    No problem with that if this is what you want. Just keep in mind that the bar might have a lower maximum weight compared to a proper olympic bar. My bar is about... 150cm I think and made for 80kg. It also came with two dumbbell sticks and 4 holders for it and 80kg of weight. I seem to have lost half of that in one of my many moves but still happy with this kit.
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!

I didn’t see anything that would put me off a short barbell, so I think I’m going to go for it! If I get to the point where 80kg/176lb is too limiting lol I will be more than happy to celebrate by upgrading somehow.

A short barbell is what I really want, was just not sure if there was an issue I didn’t know about or hadn’t considered.

I already have adjustable dumbbells and I just keep wishing I could use a barbell instead.
  • Retroguy2000
    edited April 2023
    Options
    2" or 1".

I think 2" is more common. It's the standard. Do your research, since if you later buy more plates and longer bar, you're locked in.

You don't need a squat rack to do bar squats. Check out the barbell hack squat, also known as hack deadlift. It's a legs exercise with the bar starting on the floor. Zercher squat is another.
  • herringboxes
    Options
    Since I already have standard plates I’ll just stick with them.

I do think I will do squats, but again, I’m no athlete. I’m currently doing unweighted squats, so the idea that I would need a rack to take a bar heavier than I could otherwise lift, well, if that day comes I will be happy to figure something else out and treat myself to some serious equipment.

I see a bar I can buy for $35, so that sounds great to me.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Because this is a great thread and might be a useful reference for someone else in the future, I just want to chime in on adjustable dumbbells someone mentioned.

I got a set of the Bowflex adjustable dumbbells during the pandemic and am not enamored of them.

The skeleton is bulky, and the plates are big and flat and for a thin (!) person like me, they irritatingly bump me in the most unexpected places, when I least expect. The balance feels off on them, too. In some motions they feel heavier than stated, in others, super light. They also suck worse than I can possibly describe for moves like goblet squats or overhead triceps.

Also because I’ve got slim wrists, they are so bulky, they catch me uncomfortably in the wrist area.

I’m scared to death to try any “swinging” type movements like kettlebell type swings or hand to hand catches with them for fear they’ll spray metal in every direction. They might not. But I won’t even risk it, and I toss 15 and 20 lb dumbells pretty often.

Knowing what I know now, I probably would have sprung for individual dumbells. I way prefer the grip and feel of them.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    Because this is a great thread and might be a useful reference for someone else in the future, I just want to chime in on adjustable dumbbells someone mentioned.

I got a set of the Bowflex adjustable dumbbells during the pandemic and am not enamored of them.

The skeleton is bulky, and the plates are big and flat and for a thin (!) person like me, they irritatingly bump me in the most unexpected places, when I least expect. The balance feels off on them, too. In some motions they feel heavier than stated, in others, super light. They also suck worse than I can possibly describe for moves like goblet squats or overhead triceps.

Also because I’ve got slim wrists, they are so bulky, they catch me uncomfortably in the wrist area.

I’m scared to death to try any “swinging” type movements like kettlebell type swings or hand to hand catches with them for fear they’ll spray metal in every direction. They might not. But I won’t even risk it, and I toss 15 and 20 lb dumbells pretty often.

Knowing what I know now, I probably would have sprung for individual dumbells. I way prefer the grip and feel of them.
    Yes individual dumbells are much better. Grab and go with no futzing around changing plates and less cumbersome. Individual takes up a little more room though however IMO the trade off is worth it. Kettlebells are also not a bad investment

• Retroguy2000
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I went the more economical route of loadable dumbbells. I need more weight than most adjustable sets go to. No way I'd get a ton of fixed dumbbells for a home gym. That would cost me a fortune and take up a huge amount of space. I use everything from 12.5 to 82.5 pounds. And all the plates I have can be used on my bars, so there's no double or triple paying of weight.

The downside is that since changing the weight takes more time, drop sets aren't practical. Overall, the pros outweigh the cons for me in space and cost efficiency.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    I went the more economical route of loadable dumbbells. I need more weight than most adjustable sets go to. No way I'd get a ton of fixed dumbbells for a home gym. That would cost me a fortune and take up a huge amount of space. I use everything from 12.5 to 82.5 pounds. And all the plates I have can be used on my bars, so there's no double or triple paying of weight.

The downside is that since changing the weight takes more time, drop sets aren't practical. Overall, the pros outweigh the cons for me in space and cost efficiency.
    Ha! Doubtful OP will need 82's. Someone mentioned starting at 5 however my wife doesn't touch anything less than 10's but she's an

a-n-i-m-a-l

• herringboxes
    Options
    Just updating this thread. I made a deal with myself that if I was still on the program after a month, I could treat myself to a barbell. And I did!

The one I got was advertised as 48 inches, but it was 60. Fine. Since I am not likely to be slamming 250lbs (won’t complain if I’m wrong) I kind of wish the sleeves weren’t so wide. Turning the caps for a mile gets old fast.

BUT. I’m super thrilled I have it! I just like barbells better than dumbbells, plain and simple. Can’t wait for my next workout day!
  • springlering62
    Options
    Just updating this thread. I made a deal with myself that if I was still on the program after a month, I could treat myself to a barbell. And I did!

The one I got was advertised as 48 inches, but it was 60. Fine. Since I am not likely to be slamming 250lbs (won’t complain if I’m wrong) I kind of wish the sleeves weren’t so wide. Turning the caps for a mile gets old fast.

BUT. I’m super thrilled I have it! I just like barbells better than dumbbells, plain and simple. Can’t wait for my next workout day!

Would barbell clips work? Amazon has them cheap,
    so it’s not a huge loss if you hate them.

I way prefer them to the squeeze springload grip things. They come in 1” and 1.5” sizes. I’ve never had one fail, and we had some serious heavy lifters at my old gym, and they used clips, too.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    Did you get the kind with threaded sleeves, so the weights and collars have to screw on, rather than slide on then clip?

Hmmm. A friend of mine got a bar like that for his first, for a small workout area, and he hates it. As you say, way too time consuming to change it.
  • herringboxes
    Options
    Spring, an interesting idea.

I didn’t know there were alternative collars. I see a pair of spring collars are cheap. The bar is threaded but I see some people wrap a few rounds of duct tape to get around the issue.

Since I’m slinging light weights, I think it would be well worth a try. The ability to slap plates on and off would make a big difference.
  • Retroguy2000
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Snap lock collars are probably better than spring, but again you have the wrong type of bar and weights for that. I can't imagine having to deal with screwing stuff on every time, the amount of times I change weight for different things. I'd return that stuff and buy a normal style bar and weights.

Here's a review of most snap collars. Clout and Lock-jaw are great on the budget end. Which isn't to imply you would want to go that route, just saying that's the route I went :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQJDxFhki8U
  • springlering62
    Options
    For $15 bucks, try a set off Amazon. I love mine.

Even if they say they are a certain size, they open a little larger than that before you flip the “switch” to tighten them. Surely they’d go right on over threads.

Even as basic a lifter as I am, I go up the ladder in weights with every set, and often back down again to bare bar. Faffing with threads and screws on every set would drive me insane. It’s hard enough just to find matching plates because these goobers moved them all over the gym with no rhyme or reason.