Do you Zwift, Peloton, Treadmill, Mall Walk?

Options
RMUNTZ2
RMUNTZ2 Posts: 125 Member
I rode and walked indoors today 20 miles and almost 450 miles in 2023 . I can't wait to get outdoors but it's damn convenient to ride or treadmill indoors.

Replies

• acmefhallum
    acmefhallum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My first day. Weight on 4/6 is 216#.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,467 Member
    Options
    What is mall walk? Like walking through a shopping mall? Why? (serious question, as a European I just go outside and walk with an aim, like wanting to walk an interesting path, reach a certain top or whatever when I go out)
  • Vanessa1166
    Vanessa1166 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi..i try and run outside as much as the weather allows but if i can't run outside i have the Peloton app on my iPad and use that on my treadmill. I am not rich enough for one of their fancy treadmills...lol
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Love Zwift, so addictive and quick and easy and safe and fun. Very time efficient and you can burn a tonne of calories at the right effort level. I rarely race but enjoy group rides and workouts too. I often get hooked on the ride series’ like Tour of Watopia or Rapha Rising.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,506 Member
    Options
    In 2023 so far::

1,067 miles stationary biking (Concept 2 BikeErg), while playing computer games on my tablet, mostly - I can't enjoy the video class stuff, which is not to diss it for people who enjoy it.

Only 24.7 miles outdoor cycling so far because it's still freakin' Winter here (snow drifts, flooding, below zero temps, other annoying things).

Indoor rowing, only 6:56 (HH:MM) so far in 2023, because I had an annoying rotator cuff issue, been doing physical therapy for that, limiting rowing. (Sigh.) Can't watch video, torpedoes my technique. Usually listen to music or news/podcasts.

In 2022 in total, more representative:

37:21 indoor rowing (still HH:MM). Not gonna do indoor if there's boat weather.

109:39 (HH:MM) rowing (boats, the skinny ones like in the Olympics, only mine is slow because I'm a li'l ol' lady, age 67). It was 415.9 miles.

Stationary biking, 226.55 pseudo-miles, 49.40 (HH:MM).

Outdoor biking, 858.89 miles, 92.09 (HH:MM). Yup, I'm slow.

Walking (intentional logged walks, outdoors), 50.48 miles, 29:39 (HH:MM). I don't walk much, because my knees are trash, honestly (torn meniscus, arthritis). The year before, 2022, I pushed that (less biking, more walking) - 405.99 miles, 131:57 (HH:MM).

There's some other stuff this/last year (lifting, yoga, whatever), but that's the majority.

I did a lot of this same stuff when I was still obese, too - for fun, mostly, then and now. For me, the weight management issue was getting my eating in line with my activity level, entirely through managing my calorie intake. Fitness? Honestly, for me, mostly just a nice side effect of doing fun stuff. I don't do high volume, but I think it's probably more than average for my demographic.

Being active makes me happy!
  • RMUNTZ2
    Options
    My first day. Weight on 4/6 is 216#.

@acmefhallum, how are you doing now after months on MFP?
  • RMUNTZ2
    Options
    @yirara,

I walk the indoor shopping mall in the winter and days it is wet outdoor.

The mall has three levels with lots of stairs and ramps to work your heart rate.

I see the same walkers every morning.

I walk 7 miles each time I go there.

They open the mall 1 hour early to the mall walkers.
  • RMUNTZ2
    Options
    @AnnPT77,

Wow, you ride a lot!

I ride indoor on ZWIFT riding one of my gravel bikes on a Wahoo Kickr Core.
    June 15 - 50.42 mi

I participate in the discussion group 2023 Cycling Challenge

My 2023 YTD Total Cycling Distance is 1,844.99 mi of 2023 goal.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    I walk the dog outdoors at least 3 miles a day. regardless of weather. I run either outdoors or on the TM 30-35 miles a week. (Except this year I had surgery that required a 7 week break from running. I am building back my endurance ATM,) I run on the TM more in summer than winter because I don't handle heat and humidity well. I have a stationary bike I ride on my non-running days for 45-60 minutes. Money is tight so I don't use any subscription programs like Peleton.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,506 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    RMUNTZ2 wrote: »
    @AnnPT77,

Wow, you ride a lot!

I ride indoor on ZWIFT riding one of my gravel bikes on a Wahoo Kickr Core.
    June 15 - 50.42 mi

I participate in the discussion group 2023 Cycling Challenge

My 2023 YTD Total Cycling Distance is 1,844.99 mi of 2023 goal.

You're going to hugely surpass that goal, sounds like, @RMUNTZ2 - good show!

I did a lot (for my personal tastes) of stationary biking over the Winter this year. Usually in Winter I'd be splitting my time more evenly between machine rowing and stationary biking, but didn't row as much as normal, and biked more, because of the rotator cuff irritation issue (even though rowing wasn't the cause).

The 2023 Cycling Challenge group looks fun, but I don't anticipate getting anything close to 2023 miles of cycling this year. I'm really a rower, not a cyclist (though I like cycling). Now that it's on-water season here - finally! - I'm rowing quite a lot. I did a bit of biking on the trail system in the late Spring (on my road/mountain-type hybrid bike), and will resume in July (helping teach a learn-to-row class 4 days a week right now in addition to my personal rowing, which is enough activity). Last summer, I only got 40-50 miles of cycling per week at most during the outdoor season.

Right now for 2023, I'm at 1493 miles cycling (of which 1258 was indoor), 93 miles of on-water rowing (season started late here this year), only 65 miles of machine rowing. I don't think I'll get another 500+ miles of cycling in this calendar year, and I certainly wouldn't set myself that as a goal (because my focus and priority is rowing). If it happens naturally, that'd be great, of course.

Best wishes!