Ladies, any advice for how to get rid of streach marks?

Options
I've never had them till I got pregnant. Coco butter did NOTHING BUT LIE!!! I'm sure some have heard of that celtrexa or whatever on the radio. wnyone try it? or use something else that worked?

Replies

• supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Cosmetic surgery.

They're scars. Though products can reduce the appearance, they won't go away unless you cut them out.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I used stretch mark cream from Avon. It did not make them go away but it completely took away the rednesses and smoothed them quiet a bit. I was very happy with the results.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Time. Sorry, but that's all I have found to work. They do fade in time.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Time and surgery are the only sure "cures" for stretch marks.
  • ShrinkingMG
    Options
    I agree that they fade but never completely go away no matter what you do.
    Embrace them, they are a part of you and tell the story of your life.
  • mrsfoose
    Options
    I started with Bio Oil and it really took the redness away quickly, then I moved to Mustela and that helped make my skin more even and less bumpy. I had super bad stretch marks though and I am now comfortable wearing form fitting shirts without worrying about anything unwanted making an appearance. Cocoa butter is a lie and now I can't stand the smell after using it all through pregnancy. Hope this helps!
  • chrikoko12202007
    Options
    When i was pregnant i asked my dr what i could do to help with mine and he said "have different parents". If uve got em, theyre gonna stay there bc it's genetic. I've heard of some ppl that have had theirs fade somewhat so id like to know if anyone has had any luck with a particular product also. Sucks what pregnancy does to a body:(
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I don't know about stretch marks but bio oil is good for scars. My friend had a heart op many years ago but the scar was always prominent she started using bio oil and it really helped make the scar less noticeable. So it could help with stretch marks as well.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    get fat!

You'll never get rid of stretch marks, your skin is stretched, collagen is lost and you will have to wear those marks with pride. You can diminish the severity with some creams, or bio oil, but they will be ever present.
  • Tanyabear_
    Tanyabear_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have heard good things about bio oil from friends altho I have not tried it. If the stretch marks are new, they will be red and noticable. Time is on your side. I had my last baby 18 years ago and had some that were an inch wide, today they are faded to silver and hardly noticable. I might have a different view on mine... I earned every single one of them by the miricle we call offspring. It was a small price to pay for becoming a mother and I would not change a thing. They are my baby scars so to speak.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I've never been pregnant but I got stretch marks on the outer sections of my thighs when I first gained weight in college 12 years ago. They were BRIGHT red and there were a lot of them. Since then, they've faded for the most part, but I can still feel the indentations in my skin. I don't wear them with pride. Every time I look at them or feel them, it reminds me of what I did to myself by being irresponsible with my eating. I would've much rather gotten them from something more rewarding like having a baby.

I've just accepted that I'm stuck with them and am glad they have faded as much as they have.
  • AliDarling
    Options
    so far bio oil is winning. after a year, they are no longer an inch wide, red and orange, a light pink, but still way too intrusive. maybe next check will go to some bio oil. tanks ladies! still open to other ideas, except for getting fat. kind of oppisite of joing this site.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    there are no magic remedies. and people who say that a cream faded them, may have just been time.

i had horrendous big purple red ones all over me, and after a few years they have all faded to white, but the more weight i lose the more pronounced the craters become... it's a MESS!!! i religeously used cocoa butter and bio oil through both of my pregnancies, even before i got my first mark (twice a day) and it done nothing.
  • maaalva
    maaalva Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use cinnamon oil, it worked perfecltly in my tights in two days, but in a month it still had no "permanent" effect on my waist...
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I did research lil while ago and here are some things I found, so far I have been exfoliating the areas with sponge and exfoliating body scrub and I put on lotion with cocoa butter, elastin, with bunch of other vitamins/contents that help the skin. if you're going to use lotion you will have to apply at least 3-4 times each day. I just started doing above but I bet eventually I will see good results. Exfoliating does a big deal with taking of dead skin which in turn makes stretchmarks/scars fade awat, and combined with lotions it will help revitalize the skin.

Here are things you can do:
    Skin Creams and Lotions with some of the following:
    • Cocoa butter (this is big +)
    • Rose hip oil
    • Emu oil
    • Jojoba oil
    • Castor oil
    • Shea butter
    • Vitamin A
    • Vitamin E
    • Vitamin C

Massage the area with stretch marks three or four times a day with moisturizers that contain cocoa butter as a prime ingredient.
    Apply self-tanner. It will help minimize the appearance of stretch marks. Exfoliate beforehand for best results.

Wheat germ oil - may help improve stretch marks in their early phase (this is great for the red ones, you can get rid of almost completely if they are still in red color stage).

Vitamin C - certain formulations might increase collagen production, but they'll only help with early-stage stretch marks; for best results, combine the vitamin C gel with glycolic acid; taking 500 mg of Vitamin C supplements three times a day may also help.

Exfoliate daily with loofah or scrunchy

Apply Vic’ Vapor Rub, it supposed to help a lot!

Hot Baths and Massages (increase circulation around scarring)

Vitamin E Gel Pills: break open and apply
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    get fat!

You'll never get rid of stretch marks, your skin is stretched, collagen is lost and you will have to wear those marks with pride. You can diminish the severity with some creams, or bio oil, but they will be ever present.

I love that you said "where them with pride". :) I've always said/thought that my stretch marks are a reminder of my weight loss journey, so I definitely wear them with pride.
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you get smaller they diminish but not disappear. Dark tan helps too. :ohwell:
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    I agree that they fade but never completely go away no matter what you do.
    Embrace them, they are a part of you and tell the story of your life.

Nicely said.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    tan!! they are less noticeable when you are more tan! as for getting rid of them? nothing except surgery. you can minimize the appearance by using creams, but they will always stick around. I know, i hate them too. I didn't have them until i was 37.5 weeks pregnant! i was sooo mad when they first appeared. What can you do
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    there are no magic remedies. and people who say that a cream faded them, may have just been time.

i had horrendous big purple red ones all over me, and after a few years they have all faded to white, but the more weight i lose the more pronounced the craters become... it's a MESS!!! i religeously used cocoa butter and bio oil through both of my pregnancies, even before i got my first mark (twice a day) and it done nothing.

sorry, but I disagree. I had deep red/purple stretch marks on my belly for 25 yrs. I bought the Avon stretch mark cream and put it on daily - the redness went away. I still have stretched skin but now it isn't red and obvious any more.