Gaining Weight after Getting COVID?

Options
Did anybody gain a lot of weight after getting COVID? If so how long did it last and how long did it take for you to be back to normal?

Replies

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I had a regain after having Covid - not as direct result, but from general fatigue and a greatly reduced desire to exercise and keep vigilant about logging my calories. It took about two months to get back to my previous level of fitness -one month slacking with shortness of breath and another whole month to restore.
  • bere_13
    bere_13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. It took me about a month and a half to recover but I gained significant weight, more than I have ever weighed and it’s taken me a long time to get back to get to the level of fitness I was prior to getting it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    I'm not doubting what you say at all, that the totality of circumstances around your Covid experience unfortunately led to fat gain.

I do want to point out, though, that any kind of illness will tend to trigger some increased water retention (from inflammation, sinus/chest congestion, etc.), and that that water retention can take a long time to dissipate . . . basically, some of it's likely to hang around until your body is fully past the illness, and we know that Covid hangs on in subtle ways for a period of time.

Hang in there, you can get back your normal fitness and weight. Slow and steady is probably the best route, since trying to go straight back to a normal fitness routine can be more physical stress than the recovering body can best manage.

Sending hopes for your full recovery!
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Lost 7 pounds during Covid due to loss of appetite. Gained 2 pounds back the week after due to having an appetite and lost those 2 pounds the following week once I got back to my routine.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I should add that while I got back to my pre-Covid fitness level fairly quickly once I resumed exercising regularly, I am still working on the weight re-gain. I don't have too much left to lose and can blame my own wilful over-indulgence, NOT Covid for the regain. Honestly, I didn't mind the regain break as it re-energized my commitment to deficit eating which presently feels fairly effortless. :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    I lost weight the first time I got Covid, and stayed the same weight when I got it a second time about a year later. It did negatively affect my ability to recover from exertion for quite a while (months) after the second time although it was less intense in terms of the actual illness.