Best way to?

Options
Shed a couple inches? Is it possible to take off your waist and hips and not your chest? I am 36-29-38. I would like to loose two inches off my hips and one or two off my waist but I don't want to loose any off my chest. lol :blushing: I have lost two pounds and I've got 4 more to loose to be at my goal weight. What's the best exercises I could do? I am currently doing cardio by walking, running, bicycling, I also do some aerobics, steps. I do pushups ( I could NEVER do those before!!) crunches, squats, jumping jacks/skipping rope. I am going on vacation in 22 days and I am getting nervous I won't get much change in that time now.

Replies

• paula123
    paula123 Posts: 91
    Options
    Shed a couple inches? Is it possible to take off your waist and hips and not your chest? I am 36-29-38. I would like to loose two inches off my hips and one or two off my waist but I don't want to loose any off my chest. lol :blushing: I have lost two pounds and I've got 4 more to loose to be at my goal weight. What's the best exercises I could do? I am currently doing cardio by walking, running, bicycling, I also do some aerobics, steps. I do pushups ( I could NEVER do those before!!) crunches, squats, jumping jacks/skipping rope. I am going on vacation in 22 days and I am getting nervous I won't get much change in that time now.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce (I wish!!) I pretty much lost 1/2 my chest within 2 months of joining here. It comes off where it comes off, and in it's own time too, you can't rush it. SOunds like you're doing everything right, keep it up, it'll happen :flowerforyou:
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Oh I so wish a person could spot reduce. I would take it all off my stomach and butt. It doesn't work that way! :ohwell:

Have a great vacation! :flowerforyou:
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Kerrilucko is right...you lose where you lose...you can firm up areas some, but that's about it. I was rather partial to my "girls" as well :) I've definitely lost some!
  • paula123
    Options
    I know I dream big LOL I just kind of mean what are the best exercises to target THOSE areas so maybe some magic can happen lol:laugh:
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    I know I dream big LOL I just kind of mean what are the best exercises to target THOSE areas so maybe some magic can happen lol:laugh:

not gonna happen, you won't lose fat (inches) anywhere by "targeting it" what you can do is work on toning certain areas, but this won't get rid of fat in that particular area, it will simply build up the muscle. Your aerobics, running, cycling. those are the things that will get rid of the fat, but you can't choose where it comes from or when.
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    sounds nuts but........................................................DO THE TWIST
  • paula123
    Options
    lololol are you being serious or just pulling my leg :laugh: :laugh:
  • rebcolorado
    Options
    Toning is the only way to effectively make those areas tighter and smaller.
    You have very little weight left to lose ... I think that with the correct excercises you could definitley make a noticeable difference in 22 days.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Toning is the only way to effectively make those areas tighter and smaller.
    You have very little weight left to lose ... I think that with the correct excercises you could definitley make a noticeable difference in 22 days.

Ditto:flowerforyou:
  • paula123
    Options
    Thank you rebcolorado & myastyme!! Just the kind of support I need without any negative comments :flowerforyou:
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    lololol are you being serious or just pulling my leg :laugh: :laugh:
    I'm for real.................... do the twist
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 1/2 of my chest too. As for toning, it won't hurt to do exercises to target those muscles (I like the twist:smile: ), but aerobic exercise is the way to lose the fat on top of those muscles. Keep jogging, elliptical-ing, biking, kickboxing, etc.!
  • cstang
    cstang Posts: 28
    Options
    I thought I was done losing my chest and stopped measuring because I didn't think it could get any smaller and found out this morning that I lost another 1/2 inch....it's not budging from my belly though...very frustrating, but not discouraging, LOL
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you rebcolorado & myastyme!! Just the kind of support I need without any negative comments

Paula, not trying to start an internet argument, because I think it's the dumbest thing on Earth....but, I don't think Kerri and the other girls were being negative at all. They were just being truthful. You cannot spot reduce. You can't say, "I am going to lose fat from my waist and not my boobs (which are essentially fatty tissue)." Like they said, you can tone in that area. If there's still a layer of fat on top of the toner muscle, you may or may not lose inches in that particular area. As Kerri said, getting rid of the little extra fat tissue on the waist is easiest with cardio, but as you know, your ta-tas may get a little smaller with that cardio as well.

Sorry for being so wordy! :blushing:
  • paula123
    Options
    Thanks for your opinion but you don't need to explain anything to me. I was simply saying asking if theres anything more I can do to TARGET the specific areas, I know doing situps/crunches help your abs. I was wondering if theres anything else. Theres always people who have to add in the extras for whatever reason, some people didn't start going on about other things they simply answered what I asked! :wink:

and also I just said I don't want to loose off my chest but if it happens it happens don't have to jump on me because I'd like to keep them what they are!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Oh okay.

Anyway, have you ever tried pilates? I feel like it helps me become more lean with the types of exercises that you do. I got a Advanced Pilates dvd on sale one day for the heck of it. I did it and thought I was going to bust a gut...but I started doing it every day and I could really see a difference. I am pretty compact and I felt like it shrunk some of my bulkiness and stretched my muscles longer. Good luck.
  • chickadee10
    chickadee10 Posts: 350
    Options
    Pilates is really fun! And boxing too.
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Thanks for your opinion but you don't need to explain anything to me. I was simply saying asking if theres anything more I can do to TARGET the specific areas, I know doing situps/crunches help your abs. I was wondering if theres anything else. Theres always people who have to add in the extras for whatever reason, some people didn't start going on about other things they simply answered what I asked! :wink:

and also I just said I don't want to loose off my chest but if it happens it happens don't have to jump on me because I'd like to keep them what they are!

Whether you realize it or not I did answer what you asked. you asked how to target areas to MAKE THEM SMALLER- meaning to lose fat. Building muscle (which is what crunches and lunges and bicep curls and squats etc etc etc do) will tone the area but it won't make it smaller because the fat layer over the muscle will still be there. If you want to take that as negativity go ahead but it's it, it's simply true. Nobody jumped on you about not wanting to lose from their chest. Most of us feel the same way. I sure didn't want to lose from me chest. But it's a trade-off, you either lose nothing anywhere, or you lose a little from everywhere, that's generally how it works.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I agree with the pilates suggestion. It really "changed my body" When I started doing pilates regulary I really saw a change. Also circuit training, which I've started recently, has really jumpstarted my toning. I've been at it for about a month and I'm getting the arms I've always wanted, toned and lean. Although I don't like yoga it is really good for your body too.