HELP Please!

Options
I just lost 10lbs, and all of a sudden a week has gone by and nothing. I have read a few post on here about making sure to eat the calories you burn during workouts. The problem i have is that by eating healthy, the amount of calories I need= a lot of food. LOL
I`m thinking of going to get a burger to help w/ the calories I need. LOL just kidding. Help!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Some things I have learned...
    1. In the first weeks of starting exercise program most folks gain weight because muscle weighs more than fat. SO don't just weigh yourself... MEASURE to see what your body is really doing.
    2. NEVER eat less than about 125O calories... OR try to loose too much too fast. Your body goes into starvation mode and retains fat.
    3. It took YEARS to put on the weight... eat HEALTHY (food pyramid) exercise regularly... and slowly it will come off.
    4. Also, SLOW weight loss is most likely to stay off long term.
    5. DON"T "diet"... just learn to eat properly and exercise regularly. Make your goal "good health."
    6. Eat back at least SOME of your exercise calories. This motivates me to exercise more!
    7. Don't deprive yourself. Learn to have just ONE bite of that cake. Total deprivation may lead to fast weight gain later.
    8. As you gained weight you probably had plateaus going up. Your body remembers these plateaus and will automatically plateau there again on the way down. Some refer to these as "set points." It may take some time and sometimes some adjustments to get past them.
    9. Mix it up. Vary your exercise from day to day and vary your menu. If you get bored you are less likely to be successful.
    10. Fill out your MyFitnessPal.com profile, particpate on the boards and add some friends who will encourage you (and maybe inspire you too) .... and HAVE FUN with it!!
    11. Move More + Eat Less = Lower Weight

"It matters not if we try and fail, and try and fail again. But it matters much if we try and fail and fail to try again."
  • ramblingirl
    Options
    In between your meals, grab some nuts, make a whey protein shake (or get a premade one) or a protein bar-if you are a fan of chocolate, tigers milk is pretty good.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking what I have been eating 2 weeks less than I have been tracking my exercise.

I've only lost 3.5 (7lbs), since 1st August (i don't have a lot to lose about another 15lbs).

One thing I have notice is that my weightloss has been slow, but in saying that my measurements tell a different story.

It's better to loose weight over a long period of time, than over a short period of time.
  • flyer7871
    Options
    I find that in order to get the calories I need, I must eat after 7pm... any insight on this?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Take a look at your sodium and potassium. They cancel each other out. Too much of one or not enough of the other will cause you to retain water and plateau.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I find that in order to get the calories I need, I must eat after 7pm... any insight on this?

It really doesn't matter when you eat. Just how often. Every 2 to 3 hours is preferrable. I generally just eat when I'm hungry but I go for something small.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    You may be over estimating the number of calories you need. I don't know your situation but I found that the recommended calories here is a little high for some of us. You can cut the calories back or increase your exercise to get moving again with the weight loss. I don't add back the exercise calories to my day and my weight is very stable. Since I work out 45-60 min most days, that means that the recommended calorie level here is too high for me. Unless you are a major body builder, it is probably not a situation of lots of new muscle. That takes hard work over time. I hope that is helpful. Good luck.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

I always eat after 7pm. Actually I usually eat up to around bedtime (10ish)
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    unless you go to bed at 8 pm u can eat after 7. As long as there is 2-3 hrs before going to sleep, you can eat. I lose more weight if I eat dinner after 7 because then I stay full until I go to sleep between 11 and midnight.
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Well, It may be different for you because I am obese and you appear to be pretty normal.
    My doctor sanctioned daily intake does not exceed 900 calories and that does not include taking back in my burned off calories.
    So many people believe that you will go into starvation mode at under 1200 but every body is different. We aren't all on the chart.
    Best bet, ask a dietician or doc and explain your dilemma.
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If I ate my recommended number of calories I would be packing it on like nobody's business!
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

I generally have my meals and exercise for the day planned in the morning or the night before. This way I know approximately what my exercise calorie burn will be and I plan my meals through the day to "pre-eat" enough calories so that I can just eat a sensible supper and maybe a snack. This has been working great!

I usually have my last snack just before bed. Milk with a scoop of protein.
  • flyer7871
    Options
    I will try it starting tonight... Does anyone have good protein shake recipes ? at about 400 cal and under??
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    1. In the first weeks of starting exercise program most folks gain weight because muscle weighs more than fat. SO don't just weigh yourself... MEASURE to see what your body is really doing.
    2. NEVER eat less than about 125O calories... OR try to loose too much too fast. Your body goes into starvation mode and retains fat.
    3. It took YEARS to put on the weight... eat HEALTHY (food pyramid) exercise regularly... and slowly it will come off.
    5. DON"T "diet"... just learn to eat properly and exercise regularly. Make your goal "good health."
    6. Eat back at least SOME of your exercise calories. This motivates me to exercise more!
    7. Don't deprive yourself. Learn to have just ONE bite of that cake. Total deprivation may lead to fast weight gain later.
    8. As you gained weight you probably had plateaus going up. Your body remembers these plateaus and will automatically plateau there again on the way down. Some refer to these as "set points." It may take some time and sometimes some adjustments to get past them.
    9. Mix it up. Vary your exercise from day to day and vary your menu. If you get bored you are less likely to be successful.
    10. Fill out your MyFitnessPal.com profile, particpate on the boards and add some friends who will encourage you (and maybe inspire you too) .... and HAVE FUN with it!!

"It matters not if we try and fail, and try and fail again. But it matters much if we try and fail and fail to try again."

While there is a lot of good advice here. . there are things that are inaccurate. . .a LB of FAT does not weight more than a 1LB of MUSCLE. .. a pound is a pound. . Fat just takes up more space than lean muscle. .

So with that said I definitely agree with taking measurements, because there are going to be thost times that you are losing inches and not necessarily weight since you are getting leaner. . .

So I if you don't already have one I would recommend getting an HRM so that you are getting an accurate assessment of the calories you are burning and if you are in fact in your target zone when you are burning them. . then I would eat all your exercise calories back. .

The best of luck to you.
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    everyone is different...do what your body tells you to do, you can eat anytime you want, as long as you know your body and your stomach can take it. Professional bodybuilders switch their schedule up regularly to throw off the body clock, some work out at 3am and eat right after a workout, then just don't go to sleep right away .

I just can't understand why people keep saying that muscles weights more than fat......1lb of fat is the same as 1lb is muscle. Now muscle and fat have different composition, muscle is more dense, therefore a person that weight 150 lbs with a higher % fat compared with a 150lbs muscular person is going to look fuller VISUALLY.
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I will try it starting tonight... Does anyone have good protein shake recipes ? at about 400 cal and under??

Not a protein shake but a delish Chia Power Pudding which is high in protein.

4 tbsp chia seeds
    1/2 C hemp seeds
    1 C water
    1 tsp vanilla
    4 pitted dates ( I use medjool dates)
    Dash of salt

Put chia seeds in container . Blend rest of ingredients in high speed blender till very smooth and creamy. Pour over chia seeds. Let sit for 15 MN stirring occasionally until the chia seeds start to plump up. After soaking 10 - 15 MN the pudding is ready to eat. Serves 2 to 3 people. Total cal - 778 / protein - 40 g or Cal per serving - 259 / protein 13 g.

Check out choosing raw.com ( not affiliated). He's a natural body builder and has a lot of great recipes.
  • flyer7871
    Options
    I have a HRM. Its the best piece of equipment I have bought. My workouts burn on average of 700 calories. I look thin, yet I find it hard to lose the paunch I like to call my mid section. Now I just want to get lean.
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options

While there is a lot of good advice here. . there are things that are inaccurate. . .a LB of FAT does not weight more than a 1LB of MUSCLE. .. a pound is a pound. . Fat just takes up more space than lean muscle. .

Which is of course what I meant... geesh.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

So with that said I definitely agree with taking measurements, because there are going to be thost times that you are losing inches and not necessarily weight since you are getting leaner. . .

So I if you don't already have one I would recommend getting an HRM so that you are getting an accurate assessment of the calories you are burning and if you are in fact in your target zone when you are burning them. . then I would eat all your exercise calories back. .

The best of luck to you.

If you actually took your time to read the post, you would have seen that the poster did not mention a 'pound' of muscle or a 'pound' of fat. He merely said that muscle weighs more than fat which is absolutely true. There is no need to start this debate yet again.
  • chele76
    chele76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Max Muscle near you? I went to my local store, talked with the owner (who is a kick-butt Ironman triathlete) - he introduced me to some great protein powders and gave me a few shake / smoothie recepies. Key is to make sure you balance protein and carbs with each meal. My "go-to" shake is about 350 calories. It's 2 scoops of my preferred protein powder, a glutamate powder (for muscle recovery), 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and 1 cup of water. Blend or shake until all powders are dissolved.

If you are eating later in the evening closer to bedtime, you can still eat, but make sure your protein is a Casein - that is a slower digesting protein. Its almost like having your body fed on time-release while you sleep. Some protein powders or like that.. or cottage cheese & fruit is a great combo.

Good luck and I HIGHLY encourage checking out a Max Muscle for some protein (I'm a huge fan of them)