New here

Options
Hi all, new here! With so many challenges this past year. I’ve gained weight and now have to work to get rid of these extra 40 lbs. I have started
Walking and trying to eat healthier. Any tips
On recipes I can ise?

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    mw9phn26vm wrote: »
    Hi all, new here! With so many challenges this past year. I’ve gained weight and now have to work to get rid of these extra 40 lbs. I have started
    On recipes I can ise?

Honestly, I would start by just accurately measuring what you already eat. For weight loss, you can still eat what you normally do, just less of it.

Once I started weighing my food, I realized I just didn't like certain foods enough for how much of my "calorie budget" they took up, so I quit eating them. Others I really liked so I made sure to keep some room for them (even if they aren't "healthy.") I did end up increasing vegetables in terms of quantity (I ate a large variety already but not in huge amounts previously; most veggies are not calorically dense but still high volume, so they're *almost* freebies depending on how you prepare them and what you serve them with).

I'd also suggest that you can make your own "convenience food" by meal prepping or cooking ahead. It's much cheaper, tastier, and in general better for you than prepackaged store foods. But you can build this around what you like, too.
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Firstly welcome to MFP. That's the first step👌
    As penguinmama87 says log everything and your will see how, what I call 'calorie expensive' things and then can see if you really want them. For me potatoes and white rice are 'calorie expensive ' so I don't eat them. I can more food when they are less in calories.

I've got into eating vegetables with everything, my favourite at the minute is vegetable tikka malasa with a garlic nann, less that 350calories and full of flavour.
    Or tonight is BBQ chicken with salad.
    I am a meat eater but actually been having meat free days more often now.

On my days off I prep my meals and add to my diary, so I know in advance what I am having.
    Add friends,look at their diary and find what works for you.

Good luck on your journey.
  • Jade_Marie07
    Jade_Marie07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Welcome.
    I agree with both of the previous comments.
    If you are looking for fun new recipes instead of the boring "chicken and veggies" all the time, I highly recommend checking out makayla_thomas_fit on TikTok.
    Good luck with your journey!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,620 Member
    Options
    mw9phn26vm wrote: »
    On recipes I can ise?

Congrats on wanting to get in better shape. What is Your gender, height, weight and age?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,153 Member
    Options
    Have you checked the recipe section of the MFP blog?

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/recipes/

One of the nice things there is that some of the articles reference recipes at other sites, which may get you familiar with other sources of calorie-efficient recipes. (Usually, the ones linking to other sources are the blog posts with titles like "10 breakfast recipes under 350 calories" or something like that.)

I've gotten some good ideas there.