chis seeds

Options
was on line today and found info touting the benefit of Chia seeds/Chia sprouts(yes, eat your chia pet) has any one tried this??I bought some and will let all know if this does what it promises. Source of omega three, hydration, weight loss aid, super nutrition.Buying my chia pet this week endLOL

Replies

• sephardim
    sephardim Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Compared to flaxseeds (a rich source of omega-3s), chia seeds provide more alpha-linolenic acid (or ALA), a type of omega-3 that fights inflammation. They're also rich in calcium and pack 11 grams of fiber per ounce. Once eaten, chia seeds swell, forming a gel in your stomach. This slows digestion, making them a filling snack. Unlike flaxseeds, chia seeds don't need to be ground in order to absorb their omega-3s.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    good to know! thank you!
  • I just bought my 1st bag at Whole Foods the other night after reading endlessly about them in the healthy food blog world... I sprinkled a teaspoon over my greek yogurt/ pumpkin concoction, and you don't taste them at all! They add a nice little tiny crunch to a few bites, but overall no taste! I will try a whole tablespoon next time to see if that gives my yogurt more lasting power due to the fiber.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Weird, but interesting to know, thanks!

I just bought my 1st bag at Whole Foods the other night after reading endlessly about them in the healthy food blog world... I sprinkled a teaspoon over my greek yogurt/ pumpkin concoction, and you don't taste them at all! They add a nice little tiny crunch to a few bites, but overall no taste! I will try a whole tablespoon next time to see if that gives my yogurt more lasting power due to the fiber.

How much were they? I never go to Whole Foods and don't want to make a trip just to find out they were too expensive for my cheap *kitten* :p... though I may still have that Shrek chia somewhere in my closet... :p
  • sephardim
    sephardim Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Miss your chocolate pudding? check this out. I love chia seeds.

http://fooddoodles.com/2011/03/15/chocolate-chia-seed-pudding/
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    try the Shrek LOL, I found them on line naturalremi-teas.com> for $5 lb plus $5.95 shipping.
  • conniehgtv
    Options
    have you tried making gel?
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Love Chia seeds! Def try them, and I will have to try the pudding recipe.
  • Pronoiac
    Options
    I've been using them for a few years...love em'!
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    So funny. I work for this company. CHIA dot COM folks!

But um, the chia pet seeds are not for consumption. Buy the ones that are actually for dietary purposes.

ETA: the Chia Pet company aka Joseph Enterprises JUST STARTED producing the dietary chia seeds. There are many other companies that were already selling them.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    chia seeds are great!!! more nutrition than flax seeds!! but try chia pudding!!!! pretty much like chia gel

1 cup chocolate/soy/almond milk
    3 tbsp chia seeds

mix together and let sit in the fridge for at least 15 min, enjoy!!!

i always put it on cereal, smoothies, in water if i'm gonna do an intense work out.....when i make bread....in food...everyhting!!
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    chia seeds are great!!! more nutrition than flax seeds!! but try chia pudding!!!! pretty much like chia gel

1 cup chocolate/soy/almond milk
    3 tbsp chia seeds

mix together and let sit in the fridge for at least 15 min, enjoy!!!

i always put it on cereal, smoothies, in water if i'm gonna do an intense work out.....when i make bread....in food...everyhting!!
  • lindsay6694
    Options
    love them! i eat 1 tablespoon in my oatmeal every morning! love the health benefits!
  • conniehgtv
    Options
    well, I tried the chia seeds and here is my opinion. They don't "hide "in food for me. The texture of the pudding was slimy. They are best sprinkled on some thing or mixed with water and crsytal light drinks. However, my blood sugar is stablizing and I am not as hungry. I will continue to use them.