Too much Protien

Options
I am consistently under in calories, fat, carbs, etc. every day but over in protien.......averaging about 4g/d over......I am working out and not limiting carbs specifically.....it's just working out that way. When I try to look up any info on the subject it seems soley linked to "Low Carb Diets" Does anybody know if this will hinder weight loss? Or any other detrimental side effects?

Replies

• saraann752003
    Options
    I am interested in the answer too! I seem to be having the same exact problem!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    4g/day shouldn't be an issue at all
  • msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You actually need protein to build muscle, which help speeds up your metabolism. You should be getting about 1 gram of protein per body weight.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that our doctor has told you to limit protein, then the more the better.

Protein, water, fiber along with a cleaner diet that limits fat, carbs and sodium when combined with exercise is the cornerstone of a healthy diet which leads to weight loss!

Remember, lean proteins.......and drink your water!!!

You can do it!!!
  • ruledbyreason
    Options
    Nope, you're good. I lift weights often, so "over" in my protein consumption is normal and I've been right on track. Protein is fuel for your muscles, so being under in energy consumption but over in protein will burn more fat while strengthening your muscles. The only weight it would cause you to retain is muscle weight, so that's a good thing. Also, 4g of protein isn't really that much one way or the other, serious weightlifters routinely take a ton to build muscle, I personally would be taking 190g of protein a day (130 over my "limit") if I was back to building size.
  • shadowfx
    Options
    You actually need protein to build muscle, which help speeds up your metabolism. You should be getting about 1 gram of protein per body weight.

Totally agree, I try and get 85 - 100g in every single day. Protein is essential for strength and building lean muscle tissue, and the more you have of that the faster you burn fat. It also keeps you feeling satisfied for longer than a meal heavy on carbs, cos it takes a lot longer to digest.
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just asked my dietician this same question last week.
    He said, as long as you don't have a problem with kidney function(you would know if you did) , your body will just excrete unneeded protein and it will not decrease weight loss.
  • MsScooterButt
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that our doctor has told you to limit protein, then the more the better.

Protein, water, fiber along with a cleaner diet that limits fat, carbs and sodium when combined with exercise is the cornerstone of a healthy diet which leads to weight loss!

Remember, lean proteins.......and drink your water!!!

You can do it!!!

I like your answer...I like your ticker...you go girl!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I set my own percentages and changed it to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat, MFP is very low on protein for their base amount and sort of high on carbs. I shoot for about 120g of protein a day.
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    My Dr told me that more protein is better for you especially in women over 35. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • vegangirl88
    vegangirl88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Your body can only take in a certain amount of protein, but you're pretty safe at only a few grams over. Protein also helps you feel full for longer as it takes longer to break down, so this could help with weight loss and may be why your carbs/cals are low - you simply aren't hungry for them as you are filling up on protein?
    As long as your protein is from healthy sources then it shouldn't really be a problem I think.

xx
  • Geodani
    Geodani Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies - I feel alot better about it now! If I average it over a week, its 4g/d over but I have had days where it's 17g or once 22g over, still w/ all the other stats in limits. However, I see people saying they take in 100+ g/day?! MFP only recommends 52/d for me, so I guess by all your responses I'm not gonna sweat it! Thanks guys!