How Do You Cook Your Squash?

Options
TheYoungRetiree
TheYoungRetiree Posts: 84 Member
I picked up a butternut squash and a spaghetti squash this week and would love some fun serving ideas!

I've never made butternut squash before, and have only made spaghetti squash once. I just cut it in half, and baked it with some butter and sprinkled brown sugar. Then I just use a fork to scratch out the inside and serve it with pork chop or chicken.

Anyone make it differnetly or have good ideas for the butternut? Do I make it the same way? How do I serve it?

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I have butter nut squash in porridge or rissotto. Or any vegetable based dishes like currys, stews casseroles
  • MaudeBeige
    Options
    Stab the butternut... Stuff it in the oven at about 180*C... Or hotter, or colder... Depending on what else is in the oven. Wait for the skin to go a little brown and the squash gives under the pressure when you push the skin. Enjoy!
  • saraann752003
    Options
    I am not sure about this, but the last time I had some squash I did a casserole... I baked it with some ground turkey
    (browned in a frying pan and drained first), other veggies (frozen kind, I used some carrots, corn and sugar snap peas), some cheese (I used some low fat ricotta and mozzarella) and some seasoning and croutons... I don't have any guidance on what I put into it because I really did just do a "fridge dump" and put what I had in there... but it came out good! Try and experiment!
  • sakus32
    sakus32 Posts: 101
    Options
    I skin and chop my squash and then roast in the oven w/some olive oil and sea salt . . . . . . .yummy. I actually prepare most of my veggies this way. I know of recipe's that call for spaghetti squash to be used instead of spaghetti noodles, but I haven't tried it yet,although i do plan on it.

After I roast my squash and other veggies, I usually eat them on a bed of spinach. Squash, zucchini, brussel sprouts, snow peas, tomoatoes, and onions make for a really low cal but robust salad which never leaves me feeling hungry. Happy creating :)
  • solrak1969
    solrak1969 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash baked with olive oil Salt and pepper. Then scrape off the flesh and put homemade spaghetti sauce on top. Very good stuff.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I slice my squash and cut up other veggies and put it in a bowl with a little bit of water, cover and steam them in the microwave. Super fast and easy. And season with lemon yummm
  • catlover98611
    catlover98611 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I put everything on the grill.... plain
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash baked with olive oil Salt and pepper. Then scrape off the flesh and put homemade spaghetti sauce on top. Very good stuff.

This way! Yummers!

For butternut I cut in half and bake until it can be forked easily then I flip it over and fill the cavity with some Smart Balance, a sprinkle of salt and Sugar Free Brown Sugar and Cinnamon syrup. Also do this for acorn squash and it's so good!
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    This was posted in recipes.... I am looking forward to trying this!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/349068-butternut-squash-gratin-perfect-fall-meal

I was told to cut in half fill with a mix of pineapple, pecans and a little butter and brown sugar and bake... I was just never told the amounts to use :(
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    First peel the butternut squash with a potatoe peeler cut inti fairly large chunks and boil in some water until you can easily pearce with a fork It is ready eat: you can mash it and add salt to taste with some butter or you can saute cubes in some olive oil with any spices I think cinnamon is usually the spice that goes with butternut squash. enjoy.
  • shtaylor
    Options
    Hi: Hungry Girl has a receipe for Butternut squash FRIES. Peel and cut squash into french fry sticks sprinke with salt, lay spears on paper towel for at least 5 min. this allows salt to draw out moisture, pat dry. Place fries in single layer (not touching) on baking sheet. One with a baking rack works best. Bake @ 425 for 20 minutes, flip fries and bake for 10 min. more or until tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. You can sprinkle with more salt if needed.
    Enjoy.
  • shtaylor
    Options
    PS. 1/2 of recipe = 189 calories,1.5g fat, 45g carb, 6g fiber, 13g sugar 3.5g protein.
  • TheYoungRetiree
    TheYoungRetiree Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all! I've been looking around all over the interweb and it's just so nice to hear ways people prepare and enjoy it! I am looking forward to trying several of these options :D Tonight, I think we'll try the spaghetti squash with olive oil and salt! Thanks!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Easy method: Cut in half, remove seeds, and place face down in shallow pan of water, and bake for 45 minutes or until soft.

Tastier but workier method: Skin and deseed, chop squash. Put in a pot and add about a half inch of chicken stock. Cook and stir over high heat until soft, about 10 minutes. You can add more stock if you need to (or water + bouillion).
  • heyjude345
    heyjude345 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I cut mine in 1/2, take out the seeds, spray w/ that butter spray stuff and sprinkle w/ cinnamon. Then I put it in one of those steam bags cut side down and microwave for 5 minutes or until soft. Soooo yummy and easy.
  • songbird1973
    Options
    I use long neck plain old squash, cut it in slices place in pan with a little butter, onions, and bell pepper with salt, pepper, and garlic seasoning. I cook stovetop till right before it gets mushy. Everyone in family loves it this way.
  • blondechic213
    Options
    I just made this last night and it was so good! Skin and take the seeds out of 2 butternut squash and place in crock pot. Top with 1/4 cup light butter (I used Smart Balance light), 1/3 cup brown sugar (I used splenda), and pumpkin pie spice. Cover and cook 6-7 hours on low. Mash with a potato masher and top with walnuts.
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    For the spaghetti squash, I cut it in half lengthwise, take the seeds out, cover with a paper plate and cook in the microwave approx. 5 minutes and spoon in my favorite spaghetti sauce, maybe cook another minute or two to warm up the sauce and then use my fork tines to pull the flesh toward the center and mix with the sauce. Scrumptous! Currently I am using Prego's Heart Healthy Roasted tomato and garlic flavor, it is good and the calories are "less expensive on my calorie budget" :D
  • fixeruppper
    fixeruppper Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm always in a hurry so discovered a quick way to cook most varieties of squash. Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Microwave 1/2 at at time for 5-10 minutes depending on size of squash. You'll need to experiment. Let cool. scoop out squash and add whatever you wish. I like mine plain and mashed.
  • fixeruppper
    fixeruppper Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks hungry girl. I'm always hungry too and this sounds like a good recipe.