Not hungry?

Options
So yesterday I ended the day with 700 extra calories and will likely end up with more today since I worked out longer. I know I don't want to put my body into starvation mode, but I just was stuffed after dinner and my treat that I could seriously not eat anymore. Should I push more food, or just listen to my body?

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. I leave 200-600 calories a day because I'm not hungry and I've lost 51 lbs since May.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I honestly have the same problem too, Not being hungry. Thank you for sharing tracy337.
  • beautifulbrat
    Options
    listen to your body. there's some days i still have 400 or so calories but i can't bring myself to eat or i'm just flat out full
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    People are probably going to tell you to listen to your body but I think that's awful advice. If I "listened to my body"...my wildly confused and broken body...haha, some weeks I wouldn't eat anything at all and some weeks I'd eat myself out of house and home. :laugh:

Just eat more calorie dense foods. Chocolate, bacon, peanut butter, cheese, ice cream, whatever.
  • MSerrano78
    Options
    I just started exercising againthis past 2 weeks and already lost 13 lbs I dont eat if im not hungry I have the same exact feeling. I also have a personal trainer that tells me the complete opposite though he told me I need to eat. So I only eat a little more when I am strength training and the other days when I do mostly cardio I dont eat unless I am hungry. So I dont know if thats right but I do know its working! :) I hope that helps a little bit.
  • catlover98611
    catlover98611 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    MFP says I should have about 1300 calories and today I added it up and I actually consume about 2000. I am not hungry on most days and sometimes have to really force myself to eat but I have lost 70 pounds in about 8 months and have maintained a weight of 101 to 103 for a couple months now. I tell my girls all the time--eat more, just eat better...like have an apple instead of a candy bar and make your coffee drink the sugar free nonfat version. No sugar and no flour are the key for me. Good luck.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    On days I work out I find my appetite is LESS, but the next day I'm starving.
    So I eat my calories the next day.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead and eat more throughout the day. A little more at breakfast, a little more at lunch, etc.

I'm another one that shouldn't listen to my body. I'll either chronically undereat or chronically overeat. My body is stupid. :laugh: That's why using MFP to plan my meals worked so well for me.

On the other hand, sometimes I take a few days to listen to my body, when I'm sick to death of counting and logging everything. Like today.
  • HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I don't eat unless I'm hungry. I exercise a LOT & do not eat all of my exercise calories most of the time. On days I don't work out, I do make sure to meet my goal because it is only 1200 calories. I know many disagree, but I say don't eat unless you're hungry, especially if we're talking about exercise calories!
  • deformated
    Options
    If you're eating less than the allotted calories and you have enough energy to do what you want to do, great! It's called efficiency.
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have that happen sometimes, usually on days I work out a lot. I think as long as you're on average at least close to your target, it doesn't matter if you have a few days here or there that are off in either direction. I saw on the news recently that extra low calorie diets actually DO work for a while -- you just shouldn't maintain them for all that long. So in my opinion, listen to your body and take cues from the scale. If you suddenly stop losing and you're not eating enough, try eating more. I wouldn't recommend eating more calorie-dense food though... you want to build good habits that will serve you well even when you weigh a lot less (and therefore need to EAT a lot less). It sounds like you're being healthy now, so why mess with it?
  • jineat
    jineat Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think you can leave a little over 600 calories without getting a warning.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Well, I listen to my body because in this journey I've learned a lot about it.

If I'm not hungry, I refuse to continue to shove food down my throat simply because I have calories leftover for the day. Why stuff myself full simply to meet a calorie goal? Isn't eating when I wasn't hungry what got me to 200lbs to begin with?

Yes. It was. Looking back, I ate too much along with eating junk.

I listen to what my body is telling me. If I've eaten healthy foods through the day and at the end of it I'm just not hungry - so be it. For me, the next day I'm usually a bit more hungry and so I eat.

One thing that will help to get your calories up without overfilling yourself is a snack like almonds or nut butters (almond, peanut, etc).
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have that happen sometimes, usually on days I work out a lot. I think as long as you're on average at least close to your target, it doesn't matter if you have a few days here or there that are off in either direction. I saw on the news recently that extra low calorie diets actually DO work for a while -- you just shouldn't maintain them for all that long. So in my opinion, listen to your body and take cues from the scale. If you suddenly stop losing and you're not eating enough, try eating more. I wouldn't recommend eating more calorie-dense food though... you want to build good habits that will serve you well even when you weigh a lot less (and therefore need to EAT a lot less). It sounds like you're being healthy now, so why mess with it?

Weighing less doesn't ALWAYS mean eating less. Being thinner doesn't always equal less calories needed. :) From someone who is 5'4", 143-145lbs and consumes 2200-2500 NET calories a day... I'd say it depends on the person, their lifestyle and their metabolism.
  • tracy337
    tracy337 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    And again I am in the same boat tonight but worse grrr still have 1120 calories, not hungry, dont wanna eat dinner, full from my water and frankly just want to go to bed lol