foods/things to help clear skin

Options
I used to suffer badly from spots when I was younger, now I just get a few angry ones now and again. 99% of the time they scar, as do most things ( I seem to scar every very easily!)

Anyway, lately my skin has got bad again :(. I'm going to be 24 in a couple of months it's bloody embarrassing! Any foods/tips anyone has to clear it up? Every time one goes another one comes, I feel like a damn teenager again! I am supposed to be going out tomorrow night and I am thinking of putting it off....

Replies

• Tracy184
    Options
    I'm not sure about foods, but.... Make sure you change your pillowcases and towels often, at least once a week. Try not to touch your face. Maybe try a different facial cleanser? Or a fancy anti-acne system like Proactiv? Acne can also be caused by stress. :-/
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've kind of been the same way. Drink a ton of water!

I tried a bunch of different acne creams and whatnot, and then I tried an exfoliating face cleanser from OXY (its black and has charcoal in it) that cleared me up really quick. (only use if you don't have sensitive skin!)
  • bada_bing
    bada_bing Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Try googling Chaste Berry or Vitex (same thing, different names). I read several good articles on these herbal remedies and am trying it out for myself. Can't hurt! And believe me at my age, I am far from a teenager..........what the F?
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I am 26 and still get bad breakouts from time to time ...it sucks!

Here are things that have helped me:

Drink lots of water
    I use Clinique 3 step system
    I use either Clinique or Estee Lauder makeup and remove it as soon as I get home
    Stop touching your face, I did this a lot during the day without realizing it
    Wash your pillow case and towels often
    I started the pill and it helped my breakouts greatly

If you have the money go to a Dr and they will prescribe you a special cream or face wash,.
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree with drinking tons of water! And everything else already said. I use this cleanser:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IOBEG2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A2YOV84IF03NL3

which is sort of pricey, but it lasts for months (I've had my current bottle since June, and I wash my face at least twice a day - it's still a quarter full). It's also completely toxin/paraben free. I also switched to a really great shampoo/conditioner from Avalon Organics, which seems to also help:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/AVL025/ItemDetail

(they usually have the best price on it)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I'm OLD and have always had breakouts but since I've started eating better so many people have commented/complimented on my complexion/face, asked if I were using new makeup, or no makeup.....I don't know what did it but I drink lots of water, eat lots of fruits and veggies,and eat very little junk food. Good l luck!!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Fish/Omega oil or Vitamin E may help. They're generally good for skin and hair.

Almonds are a good source of the latter.
  • pambeane
    pambeane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you drink dairy, you may want to consider using only those products that come from cows which are not treated with growth-hormones...they could be contributing. Good luck! :-)
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    Thanks guys, Oddly enough my breakout has occurred since I upped my water intake a few weeks ago!! Bizarre! I do touch my face a lot and Probably should change my pillowcases more often (I'm lazy :P) So I will give that a go. I have also heard sea salt is good so I have ordered some.

For now, I shall sit here with toothpaste on them :laugh:
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Pricey, but sooooo worth it!!

http://clarisonic.com/
  • SCR56
    SCR56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have found that washing my face before bed has changed my skin dramatically. It's a time consuming pain in my butt when I just want to go to sleep, but very well worth the effort. I also use benzoyl peroxide twice a day right after I wash and also salicylic before bed. FYI benzoyl peroxide also will bleach your pillowcase. My face didn't like the peroxide at first, I could only use it once every other day or else my skin would be too dry. But after a week or so I started using every night and then two weeks later twice a day.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different solutions for this, and it all depends on what your problem is since acne can be caused by so many different things. I have tried everything -- various products, different methods of skin care, new moisturizers, medication, changing my diet, drinking tons of water, whatever -- and nothing worked. Until recently. I found a blog online about cleansing the skin with a mixture of olive and castor oil, and I thought, what the hey, my face is already screwed, it can't do any worse. But I've been doing it for a while now, and it has been the BEST thing ever for my skin. My skin is not oily, even around my nose and eyebrows where it used to be oily all the time. I don't have to use moisturizer, and I haven't gotten any new pimples since I started using it. As a bonus, even my old acne scars are starting to look better. My skin has always been prone to blackheads, and I still have some because they were deep, but I don't seem to be getting any new ones, and the ones that were in there are coming out. (Sorry, I know that's gross, but it's true.) I used to wear at least concealer when I went out of the house because my skin was so uneven, but now I have days when I feel comfortable going out without it because the scarring is looking so much better.

Anyway. I don't know if it will work for everyone, because everyone's skin is different. But it's working wonders for me. If you're interested in it, here's the link: http://simplemom.net/oil-cleansing-method/

Good luck with finding the right solution for you!