Do you set your goals to the recommended 1lb/week?

Options
So since i'm kinda new I've just stuck to what MFP recommends as far as weight loss goal per week. But wonder what everyone else does? I have 20 lbs of baby weight I'm dieing to lose and got to thinking maybe i should up the goal to 1.5-2 lbs loss per week?

Replies

• jennifer6791
    Options
    i just lose as much as i can, which is only a pound or two a week!
  • FitMama1982
    FitMama1982 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jennifer. Some weeks are better then others for me though so I don't always go by the scale
  • reese1206
    Options
    I lose as much as I can. Some weeks it's 3-4lbs....others its 1lb.
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    Mine is set to .6 lb a week but I don't recall setting it to that. I only remember setting the goal of my end weight and I thought MFP determined the weekly loss.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Most reputable health care professionals, and this site, recommend losing 1 pound per week. At weight loss rates greater than 1 pound per week a person is likely to lose muscle mass in addition to fat. As you lose muscle mass your metabolism declines making it hard to continue losing weight and harder to maintain your weight once you reach your goal. Also, 1 pound per week loss is at a calorie deficit of 500 calories which most people can maintain over the long run. Greater deficit than this and many people feel too deprived or restricted and will not stick with to reach their goal.
  • ChristinaMcKeever
    Options
    After you lose your first 10 pounds mfp will ask you if you would like to change your goals, i started out at one pound per week but depending on how many calories i would burn i would usually lose 1.5 pounds a week. now that i have lost 16 pounds it has changed my calories and set my weight loss to 1.5 pounds a week. Lowering my calories was pretty hard cause that meant i could only eat 1200 a day sometimes i can and sometimes i cant... if you want to lose weight faster Burn Burn Burn calories......:happy: :happy: Starting out a one pound per week is the healthiest way to lose the weight eat right and burn calories