i lost 9lbs in a few weeks by accident. should i be concerned?

Options
obviously there’s only two answers to this, either i wasn’t eating as much as i thought, or there’s a health issue.

i’m just confused because i don’t think i’ve reduced the amount of junk i’ve been eating although maybe not as many takeaways due to a lack of funds.

the only other time this is happened to me was when it was covid and i’m not one to easily lose a lot of waterweight so idk. is it even water weight?? since i’ve gone down 3lbs this week and the last time i weighed myself it was 6lbs, how can i tell if it’s waterweight or not?

i have booked myself into a diabetes test in a few weeks bc my feet have felt weird and my diet is very high sugar so maybe it’s linked with that?? should i be concerned??

STATS:
age 21
5 foot 5
woman
(not been eating healthy or trying to lose weight)

highest weight: 202lbs

weight after 3 weeks since the highest weigh in: 196lbs

with in today: 193lbs

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Unintended weight loss is always a health concern that should be looked into with your doctor. Full stop.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    obviously there’s only two answers to this, either i wasn’t eating as much as i thought, or there’s a health issue.

i’m just confused because i don’t think i’ve reduced the amount of junk i’ve been eating although maybe not as many takeaways due to a lack of funds.

the only other time this is happened to me was when it was covid and i’m not one to easily lose a lot of waterweight so idk. is it even water weight?? since i’ve gone down 3lbs this week and the last time i weighed myself it was 6lbs, how can i tell if it’s waterweight or not?

i have booked myself into a diabetes test in a few weeks bc my feet have felt weird and my diet is very high sugar so maybe it’s linked with that?? should i be concerned??

STATS:
    age 21
    5 foot 5
    woman
    (not been eating healthy or trying to lose weight)

highest weight: 202lbs

weight after 3 weeks since the highest weigh in: 196lbs

with in today: 193lbs

You’re probably are eating less than you think plus take out has a TON of salt which was most likely was making you retain a LOT of water.
  • trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Based on your many past posts, you seem to roller coaster from plan to plan, generally beating yourself up if you don’t lose a pound or two per day, and deliberately under eating along the way, against very strong advice here.

Is there possibly more to this?

Why not join us on the other side? Try slow and sensible for a change?

Hugs. 😘

i’ve not posted in a very long time plus i stated that i’ve been eating my normal unhealthy foods in a large amounts that’s why i’m confused
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    So...it matters what your 'typical' swing is regarding weight. Mine, for example, can swing by +/-4ish lbs.....so I wouldn't necessarily count that towards actual weight loss. Take into account also --- activity level (if it's changed lately), sodium intake, and menstrual cycle (if you menstruate).

Otherwise, it's *always going to be significant if you lose weight without intentionally trying to do so. Speak to your doctor about it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    A short term minor unexplained weight loss - probably insignificant.
    if you continue losing weight without obvious intention or explanation - yes, see a Dr.

I presume you will see a doctor about the results of the diabetes test you are getting done anyway.

Extremely unlikely you have developed type 2 diabetes at age 21 and BMI of 32

type 1 is possible - but I wouldnt expect a Dr who was concerned about possibility of type 1 to order a diabetic diagnostic test in a few weeks - would expect it to be done ASAP
  • celestialsecrets7232
    celestialsecrets7232 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not to scare you but unexplained weight loss is a sign of cancer.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    3rd answer could be that the scales are broken or need the batteries replacing.