Friends

Options
Dreamer1311
Dreamer1311 Posts: 203 Member
Is it possible to make real friends on here? Or is everybody just focused on their weight loss? Just wondering

Replies

• Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have connected with some of my friends past weight loss.
  • humanskin
    Options
    Depends on how social you want to be with the people you connect with. I'm sure some people are all about the weight and other are all about the social atmosphere.

It's just like real life... is it possible to make real friends in real life or is everyone only concerned with themselves?
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    i have met some wonderful people that i truely feel are friends. we all have a mutual goal and understanding on how hard it is to get there!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I've met people on another fitness forum, and we're real friends. Talk outside of it, facebook, texting etc. Most live super-far away though, but we'll all meetup some day.

Once you find people with plenty in common, you start talking more and it progresses naturally.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I think you can make real friends here.
    However you have to be careful with the internets!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I have made a lot of great friends here and have met several in person.
    They are just as awesome in real life as they are online. :smile:
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    i agree with human skin, it depends on your level of time spent socializing. like a real friendship, you have to be here for your pals. i keep mine limited to a number i can attempt to manage and have made a few connections with people who inspire me and i truly enjoy!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to make real friends on here? Or is everybody just focused on their weight loss? Just wondering

Well I've made some real friends on here. I've yet to meet them in real life (living in gosh darned different countries :grumble: ). But someday I will have the cash to visit them.
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I think you can make real friends. I have exchanged e mail addresses and FB names with a few people. I don't really have time for hanging out so it is okay that we connect electronically.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

All us folk on the innerwebz be scary!
  • ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options
    Yup. I have a few close friends that I have on here that consider to be real friends. Met a few from here in person, they are just as awesome as they are on here (looking at you kmshred, 3bree375 and MrsCon40)...tomorrow I am meeting Miss Yummy and next month my closest friend MissBusyLizzie. I'm not afraid to form connections on here but I ALWAYS listen to my instinct, ALWAYS. So far, so good.
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    Like me Im a real friend......laughs all creepy like
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    I have absolutely made real friends on here. I geniuenly love some of the people that I am friends with and look forward to when we can meet in person. Several I text daily. So yeah genuine friends!
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    I have met so many wonderful friends on here and I have been lucky enough to have met one of them in person. I would love to meet so many more, in person, and hopefully one day I will. There is one girl in particular (fesse) and one guy in particular (BuffTexan) that I know I'll meet one day;) <3
  • Dreamer1311
    Options
    I am a very social person. The only reason why I even brought up this question is: apparently you add people as your "friends" but I've noticed that there is no real communication. Why add people if they don't talk to you anyways? It's a waste of my time and theirs. I am not necessarily looking for "real friends" because I am happy with the ones I got in my life but I am always open to meeting new people.I am happy for the ones who were lucky and got to meet some great people on here :)
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I am a very social person. The only reason why I even brought up this question is: apparently you add people as your "friends" but I've noticed that there is no real communication. Why add people if they don't talk to you anyways? It's a waste of my time and theirs. I am not necessarily looking for "real friends" because I am happy with the ones I got in my life but I am always open to meeting new people.I am happy for the ones who were lucky and got to meet some great people on here :)

It is what you make of it here,if you socialize on the forums you will eventually have friend requests or will be sending them.
    How much interaction you have is your choice and if you are not satisfied with the return you can either unfriend them or just let them be.

Give it time and a chance. :smile:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

There's definitely communication, if you add the right people.
  • Dreamer1311
    Options

It is what you make of it here,if you socialize on the forums you will eventually have friend requests or will be sending them.
    How much interaction you have is your choice and if you are not satisfied with the return you can either unfriend them or just let them be.

Give it time and a chance. :smile:

Oh I know :) It was just a question....
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I am very focused on my weight loss, and football, and the new prime time season on television, jokes, fun....lol

Now that I think about it, the weight loss is a way of life, the rest are my very big passion!!!
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Completely possible to make real friends here. Sure, most people will just be a typical "wtg" on your diary. But the more active you are, the more you will start to click with people. I have a couple I am close with - even outside of MFP.