Rebounding from cancer

Options
TomInAiken
TomInAiken Posts: 30 Member
Back on MFP after a long absence. I came down with the big one, cancer. I went through drug therapy and a stem cell transplant that has left me with peripheral neuropathy in both legs. That means I can no longer play tennis or take the long hikes I used to do with the dogs. The result is that I'm now fatter and heavier than I have ever been. I need to get back into a healthier lifestyle. And that journey will begin with a renewal of some old friends that may still be here at MFP. And maybe a new friend or two willing to swap encouragement. Any advice you may have for eating healthily but with restricted physical exercise is more than welcome.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    That's a lot to go through: I'm sorry you've had to do it.

I've been through cancer treatment (surgery, chemo, radiation) but not so major as stem cell transplant. I do have some ongoing physical consequences (long term side effects), but nothing so severe as that.

I did have some neuropathy, but not severe; it was worse with fatigue, and doing a lot of walking would definitely worsen it. Weight loss actually helped reduce that problem, presumably because of less physical stress on each footfall. I do have some cancer-survivor friends who have worst neuropathy than I do.

From them, I know that there are at least two possible dimensions to neuropathy symptoms that can be limiting: Numbness (lack of sensation) or pain. I assume that it's pain that's limiting you from tennis and hiking?

Since you've been here before, I'm sure you realize that weight loss is possible with calorie intake changes alone, though obviously being able to be more active does confer more flexibility in accomplishing that.

Are you able to do upper body exercise without painful consequences? There are a range of chair exercise videos on YouTube. The stereotype is that these are all super-mild, for seniors, etc., but there are some that are more vigorous (aimed at wheelchair athletes).

You don't mention your current physical capabilities (beyond the unfortunate limitations on your preferred past exercise habits), so I don't know what might be viable. Upper body strength training might be an option. Arm bikes are a thing that exist, and they can provide a pretty vigorous workout. (I've been using one in physical therapy recently for a rotator cuff irritation, and it does get my heart rate up, even though I'm already somewhat cardiovascularly fit as a baseline these days.) Is swimming an option, or other pool exercise? Sometimes people can do that if bodyweight impact is part of the problem, since the water provides support. Would any types of bodyweight or floor exercises be doable, things that aren't weight-bearing?

Personally, I took up rowing after cancer treatment (boats when I can, machines when I must), and did not find that it caused neuropathy pain, though as I said my neuropathy was much less severe than yours. (The friend who has more severe neuropathy is also a rower, but she has a very high pain threshold, so I don't know how troubling it is for her.) With my less severe issues, things that involve pressure but not impact haven't been painful in normal doses of an hour or so at a time, such as the rowing, or cycling. I don't know whether those are in the realm of possibility for you.

I hope you're able to find a route to enjoying some activities again, and am cheering for you to succeed with your weight loss and health goals in other ways, even if exercise isn't an option.
  • Matti2day
    Matti2day Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi there.
    I am so sorry that you had to deal with the big C. I Just started up today and i am looking for friends who I can be there for and who can be there for me. I will send a friend request and hopefully you will accept it.