If you can't laugh at yourself...

Options
StanDandyLiver
StanDandyLiver Posts: 29 Member
It's important to be able to laugh at oneself, don't you agree?
Sometimes when I'm in a bar or restaurant, the server might say something like, "Sorry about the wait." To which I would reply, "No need to apologise, I'm trying to lose it." Cue horrified look on the server's face as they think they've just inadvertently called me fat, followed by a laugh as a cheeky smile spreads across my face. Yes it's a corny dad joke, but a good icebreaker nonetheless. From then on, me and the server will normally continue to have good banter for the rest of my time there.
What are other ways that MFP members pole fun at themselves in order to lighten a situation?

Replies

• obstacle_overcomer
    obstacle_overcomer Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Not long after my husband and I were married, I wanted to take him to this Amish buffet restaurant I liked. We arrived and were promptly seated. Our server comes over to us got our drink orders and asked if we knew where the dessert buffet was (it was off in another room separately). I looked at her, intending to make her laugh, pointed at myself and asked, "Do I look like I don't know where the dessert buffet is?" Her eyes got really big and she said, "NO! I didn't mean it that way." I felt bad because I didn't intend for it to go that direction, so I told her that I didn't mean that I thought she was telling us because of my weight. I said, "I think I just messed both of us up! Do you want to start all over?" The 3 of us had a good laugh!